Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 MAGNUM ONLY TALK about .22 MAGNUM & Rim fires

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default .22 MAGNUM ONLY TALK about .22 MAGNUM & Rim fires

This it "NOT" about your idea of the perfect survival firearm, we did that, and we did that well.

This is about one subject ONLY.....the .22 Magnum Rim fire and to a small extent the .17 caliber rim fire cartridges.

Yes, .22 Magnum ammo is six times as expensive as .22LR ammo, (say sub $2.00 per box vs. $12.00 per box of 50 cartridges). It is for sure not a do everything cartridge. And I have always dreamed of a NEW cartridge the .25 Magnum Rim fire, same case length, only .25 caliber.

Dollar for dollar the .22LR is six times better, IF and it is a sizable "IF" .22LR can get the job done.

So all things .22 MAGNUM including .22 Magnum Rifles and Handguns.

Note: I love the .22 Mag. and hoard 3,000 rounds of .22 Mag. ammo. I own a CZ Model 452 FS in .22 Mag. and a Anschutz Model # 1515-1516 in .22 Mag. also a converted S&W model 17 w/Target Hammer and Target Trigger in .22 Magnum, & Remington 597 sporter, in .22 Magnum.

And I am buying a Remington 597 w/Laminated stock and Heavy Bull Barrel in .22 Magnum.

What do you think.........about .22 Magnum....
    Last edited by Sourdough; 03-05-2009 at 02:12 PM.

I have a .22 mag in a Ruger Single Six. I've shot it both as 22 lr and 22 mag. The difference in power is pretty substantial but, as you outlined, so is the price. It's that only .22 mag I own. For that reason and for the price I only keep a few boxes of mags around while I stock up on 22 lr every chance I get.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm a Single Six fan as well. The magnum cylinder does give you a substantial boost in power. It is like buying centerfire ammo though. I probably have at least 200 rounds on hand at any time. I don't shoot magnums that often but whenever I carried the gun backpacking it was always with the magnum cylinder in place.

I think the .22 magnum is a great round for a survival rifle. I have been looking for an M6 in .22 mag for a long time.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

ah, the detriment of short barrel lengths. i have used a Davis 22WMR derringer. the barrel length is only about 1.5" beyond the chamber, and it looses something like 500fps [if i remember correctly from statistics i've read] over a 18"+ rifled barrel.

i've always wanted to get a single six with WMR cylinder, and my late grandfather had one. the single six is a wonderful pistol by my standards and seems to make appropriate use of the cartridge's potential.
    Last edited by canid; 01-30-2013 at 01:41 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=canid;103600]ah, the detriment of short barrel lengths. i have used a Davis 22WMR derringer. the barrel length is only about 1.5" beyond the chamber, and it looses something like 500fps [if i remember correctly from statistics i've read] over a 18"+ rifled barrel.QUOTE]

Canid, go to www.brassfetcher.com and look at the gel test for a 1 1/4" barrel on a .22 Magnum you will be surprised how well it compares to the 18" barrel. Lets just say I don't want to be the person "BEHIND" the person who gets shot......
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-30-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here is mine. It it the Rough Rider, crappy grips, shoots nice and comfy to carry in the woods. I have the 22mag cyl. and the 22lr but mainly use the 22mag. just in case I walk up on a hog or it walks up on me. Behind the ear should do it.

This is my only pistolla as I'm not really a handgun guy. Done traded them all off.

well hey, if you're going to keep one, make it a practical one versatile is key.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Oops, I forgot my Belt Buckle .22 Magnum just press the button and the 4 shot Freedom Arms derringer drops into your hand. Or the other guys hand.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Oops, I forgot my Belt Buckle .22 Magnum just press the button and the 4 shot Freedom Arms derringer drops into your hand. Or the other guys hand.
    Just be very careful with that button, could end up with a uncomfortable "trimming"
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    I'm a Single Six fan as well. The magnum cylinder does give you a substantial boost in power. It is like buying centerfire ammo though. I probably have at least 200 rounds on hand at any time. I don't shoot magnums that often but whenever I carried the gun backpacking it was always with the magnum cylinder in place.

I think the .22 magnum is a great round for a survival rifle. I have been looking for an M6 in .22 mag for a long time.

Mac
    Mac, if you find a .22 long rifle M-6. Buy it and have it converted to .22 mag. The reason I say this is because there were hardly any made in .22 mag. and if you pass up on a .22 long rifle it may be a very long time before you find another. To modify a .22 long rifle to .22 mag have a gun smith cut a new chamber. Thats it. I had it done to a "Chipmunk .22 long rifle" and it works perfectly.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Did you have any issues with the firing pin or extractor? I just might do that with a Cricket rifle I have. Actually I'd probably pick up another Cricket. I'm planning to make up a special take-down stock for a .22 lr Cricket, I had never thought to convert one to .22 mag. That is way cool. Mac

I have a super single six in stainless and a ruger 10-22Magnum, the .22 mag ammo (I think it's federal) with the 35 gr. V-Max bullet is $10 from Natchez. I also have a .17 HMR barrel for the 10-22Mag so I can convert any time I want.
    I know what hunts you.

I also have 2 10-22s one is chambered in .22lr the other is set up in .17mach2. If you get any ruger .22 rimfire rifle I highly reccomend puting a volquartsen trigger group into it the difference is amazing.
    I know what hunts you.

Right now I just have one 22 mag, it is a Marlin 25M, bolt action, 7 shot clip. love that gun. I am also waiting for my new purchase to arrive, a 22 mag semi. Marlin 922. have heard some good things about this gun, hope they are true. Winchester ammo is around 10 bucks a box here. If you are lucky you cam find it at 7, but not often.

Banned
    Blog Entries

What about a .22 Magnum as a Quasi-assault rifle for younger family members. In an extreme situation, say repelling a attack on the family home from four directions, your 8 to 12 year old daughter who could "Not" operate an AR-15; However she could operate synthetic stocked, Remington 597, with a Red Dot type scope, or a Lazar sight, the whole firearm would weigh 6 pounds loaded. Paint the stock "PINK"

What if you skipped the whole .223/.308 center fire assault rifle thing, and everyone in the home had a .22 magnum...??????

I checked out the Cricket last night. The bolt face is recessed to fit the .22 lr exactly so that would have to be reamed out as well as the new chamber cut. I'm pretty sure the extractor could be adjusted to fit the the larger .22 mag case. The loading opening did seem a little tight for single loading the .22 magnum length round. All in all though a tiny .22 mag single shot would be fine in the field.

My one and only defensive gun use in the face of an actual attack was with the .22 magnum Ruger Single Six. No shots fired. I was solo backpacking in PA when two guys tried to jump me. I had the Single Six holstered on the right side and they approached me from the left. As I turned to face them they froze in place at the sight of the holstered Ruger and attempted to laugh of the attack as "just trying to scare me". At the time I was shooting one brick of .22lr a week from that gun and could have fired four shots before my canteen hit the ground (I was filling it at the time). So, how does the .22 magnum do in self defense situations? I have no idea and I'm glad I didn't have to find out. Mac

I had a North American Arms mini revolver in .22 mag. Loved it, but I've moved up.
    But .22 mag. is an awsome round.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Did you have any issues with the firing pin or extractor? I just might do that with a Cricket rifle I have. Actually I'd probably pick up another Cricket. I'm planning to make up a special take-down stock for a .22 lr Cricket, I had never thought to convert one to .22 mag. That is way cool. Mac
    I had no problems with the conversion. I had it done by a gunsmith so I'm sure he knew what he was doing. I recently bought one in .17 HMR. Talk about a deadly little rifle. But I prefer the .22 magnum over the .17 HMR. If I could have one turned into a .22 Hornet I would. I'm gonna start pursuing that idea this summer.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I would and again agree with klkak. The .22 Hornet/.410 is with out question, is the best, versatile gun for wildness survival out there!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I use both, 22lr much more. Prefer the mag shotshells for snakes. I have only one gripe with the 22mag in a Single Six, it's too darn loud. The blast equals my 45 noise wise. Of course a revolver will make more noise than a pistol, in a rifle either are great. I use more 22lr strictly because of price.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.