Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survivalist's boats...lb

Smile Survivalist's boats...lb

Have you ever thought about adding a boat to your Survival gear? Well, up until recently, I had not even considered it. However, I found this website that you may be interested in like I was. There are a few plans but my favorite is the "Sampan". The beauty of this whole idea is that for very little money, a small amount of time and the use of a few common hand tools, YOU too, can have your very own little Survivalists boat. This is a boat made entirely, believe it or not, from a single sheet of plywood! It's got a great payload for it's size, is very light, totally cheap and is a very serviceable unit. A REAL boat for almost anyone who like DIY projects. The plans are free too so you can start tomorrow on your own little Survivalists boat if you want to broaden your scope a little...

Let me know what YOU think of this (boating survivalists) idea that I'm presenting here for ya'll, o.k.?

Here's the link --->

http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/oss_sam/oss_sam.htm

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

For one person, that's about the right size to get away quickly and with enough gear.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I considered the boating question several years ago and bought a 12 foot aluminum jon boat and an 11 1/2 foot Castaway sit-on-top kayak. That's it's image above. If I am running or boating for my life, I'm using the kayak. It's not as wide and is much faster than the motorless jon boat. Weighs around 65 lbs empty.

The Castaway has a lot of storage area, so I can take my survival gear with me and live fairly comfortable. The scupper holes help to drain any water that get inside the kayak where you sit and the rear, open storage area. Pack your gear in waterproof bags though. Those hatches in front and just behind the seat are not rain or splash proof. I made a small kayak hauler to get across the parking lot with a couple of lawnmower wheels, bungee cord, and some two by four pieces padded with an old piece of carpet. Works great and saved me $50. For some reason, those small kayak haulers are expensive.

Being a sit-on-top, it is much much easier to get on and off of, too. My first kayak was an Otter by Old Towne Canoe. It was a pain to get in and out of. It was a sit-inside kind. At 9' 6" long, it was quick through the water though. Landed many a crappie and catfish while sitting in it, too. The Castaway is designed for fishing and has three rod holders. I had to modify the front one because I had to lean too far forward to get the pole. Put a foot long extension on it and now it works fine. Bought it at Academy Sports in Ridgeland, MS for around $450. Comes with a paddle and a spare rod holder, too.
    Last edited by Bowcatz; 03-05-2007 at 11:11 AM.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

Hmm that's pretty interesting. I'll have to try to build my own, but I might make some changes to the boat to make it better (Longer, more payload, storage bins). If I ever get around to it and it works I'll post my results.

There's a method called stitch and glue that is suppose to be the best way to build a small boat. Here in Mississippi, it was too hard to get the materials without shipping them here and the shipping rate was really high for the materials needed. I added up the final cost for a small boat I wanted to build and it cost less to buy the kayak.

Stitch and glue boats look like a fun project for the family, too. Stitch and glue also be used to make sturdy camper shells for pick ups or even camper trailers.

On the Internet, I found lots of links with instructions on how to build a dinghy type stitch and glue boat. It looked the most stable in rough water. In a small boat, you'll want lots of free board if you float in rough water. In boating, you have to consider the idiot that passes by you too fast and creates a big wave that can swamp a small boat.

Well. alrighty then...

lb

I'm jsut wonderintg how I would fit it in my 5600cu pack? I love kayaking and canoeing but I'm thinking that if somone is chasing after me, whther the boat is small or not, I dont really want to run with a boat on my back. While it is small and cost efficent I don't see much use to amke it for survival, unles sits jsut for fun and to have fun with floating ina baot that is jsut about 2 incehs from sinking on the sides, but thast jsut my thought, dont let me make you stop if you want to make it.

you could build a few of em and have them stashed so you can get out onto the water quickly in an emergency , my subdivision has a ton of construction sights so all my materials are free lol

Blog Entries

I don't have a boat, not going to get one. But I have a friend................

Who lived downtown New Orleans when Katrina hit. Andy, had just moved back from Atlanta about two months before.

He and his wife decided to stay, they lived in a two story beautiful house. Mistake. Well, when I met Andy years ago, I noticed that he had two nice flat bottomed boats in his garage. He told me that he had grown up in the swamps of La., and never went anywhere without boats. He had just finished making this one that was about 17 feet long and wide enough for a good hunt.

Well, Katrina hit and they ended up on the second floor. Andy said that he was getting a bit scared, then he remembered that he brought his one boat up into the living room before the storm. Didn't want it to get ruined.

Well, he walked over, boats just floating there, loaded his wife in it, some of the more important gear, loaded the pistol and paddled out his front door.

He said he paddled for a few miles till they hit this bridge, unloaded and left the boat and walked to Texas.

Boats are good.

cool story , did they have to bust a wall open to get it out? im more into small boats for hiking purposes rather then the huge ones

Blog Entries

Andy said it fit right through the door. It was made in trad. boyou fashion, long and thin. It was made out of marine plywood and only weighed 50 lbs.

wow thats rly light for a 17 ftr Rly light lol

Blog Entries

It was beautiful. He also made some of the nicest arrows I've ever seen. Real craftsman.

thats awsome im making this thing right now http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/dinghy1/simboii.htm
    and so far its turning out great

Blog Entries

That's a nice boat. Back when I was your age, I built a Barnegat Bay sneakbox for hunting ducks. Had to sell it when we moved to the city.

Gonna build another one, someday.

Good luck with your boat.

thx , hope you get back to duck hunting sometime soon , when i hunt ducks i use my pellet rifle (i despise real firearms) and if your far enough away they dont hear it fire lolz

Packing a boat around isn't my idea of having fun, but having to get across a swollen river or stream will make you wish you had a boat habdy real fast.
    One way to fix this is to drive steaks in the ground in a circle maybe about 4' in diameter. Now add steaks in an inner circle of about 3' in diameter.
    Cut a mess of saplings branches and twigs you can set in between the two rows of steaks untill tou have what apears to be a stick wreath of about 1' in thickness.
    Using cord tie the wreath to hold all the wood in place, pull the steaks and lay the wreathe on your tarp and tie the sides up over the sides of the wreathe, At this point the wreathe has become an emergency raft to ford the river.

I've been seeing tiny kayaks lately in the news. They look about four feet long and two and half feet wide and come in bright colors. Adults are using them, so I suppose they have a 250 lb load weight. Don't know how stable they are, but they look fast. For a really quick get away or a super way to get around discreetly in patroled areas by the Government when the big IT happens (government collapse and all that fall out that goes with it) , these might work well.

With the rapidly shrinking American dollar value, sooner or later the smugglers will appear with goods the average folk need, i.e., foods, medicines, lacey stuff, etc. These tiny kayaks could fit the bill in getting around undetected.

Where's the link? You just can't tease us like that. Pictures man. We need pictures.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

They support 250lbs? So that's like what....me and 2 slices of bacon?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We'll buy two, Crash and use them like roller skates.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.