Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got my survival gun - finally !!

Default I got my survival gun - finally !!

For the last 3 months, we've all been watching wall street, the banks, and our economy free falling into the unknown abyss with equally unknown and devastating consequenses. 3 months ago a fellow on another list I'm on put up for sale a custom made flintlock smoothbore gun. .54 caliber/.28 gauge, Siler flintlock lock, the finest 46 inch Longhammock barrel made, etc. You can see this gun if you look at the Jim Chambers flintlocks site and look at what he calls the Pennsylvania smoothrifle - Same exact gun.

The gun owner agreed to let me make several payments to acqire the gun as they are rather expensive. This one I picked up for about half price. As our economy kept getting deeper and deeper into the pit, I have been getting more and more anxious about getting my flintlock. I have had the fear the economy would collapse before I had it in my grubby little hands. Last week they announced on the radio that AIG would be out of money might go under today (Monday). Paranoia mode on !! Saturday I met the seller and gave him the last payment for my smoothbored gun. I was elated !! I felt like a great weight has been taken off my shoulders as if the economy takes a nasty downturn, I now have the gun that I will depend on for food gathering. Roundball for large game like deer, and shot for small game and flying game. It doesn't require any special ammo, just a sharp flint in the jaws of the hammer and some blackpowder in the pan and barrel.

I have been getting the acessories right along I need for this gun, and making many others. I call this smoothbored gun a survival gun. It's not for firefights with other armed assailants. It is for the hunter-gatherer that wants to have a dependable long arm for getting food. It's accurate like a black powder rifle out to 50 or 60 yards, and will definitely take any meat animal or bird that is so unlucky to get in front of that long barrel. If our economy heads farther and deeper into depression, I can be sure that my family will be fed the same way the early pioneers fed their families in the 18th century when they didn't have anyone to depend on other than themselves. The Government isn't going to help me or feed me. It's up to me to make my own success and come out of the other end of this depression OK. My flintlock smoothbore was one of the items of my survival strategy plan that has come together perfectly.
    Ohio Rusty ><>

I'm glad you got your dream gun But I doubt it will be of any use as you describe it. Do you have any idea how many folks from Ohio have the same plan? The woods (what few Ohio still has) would be a dangerous place indeed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sounds like a nice flintlock. It would not be my choice, but as the saying goes - if it works for you, it works for me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Don't sweat it, buy the gun. I'm down enough to have bought a tank and still sleep at night. Also got a tax audit and a bill big enough to bail out AIG if I could pay it. Now I know what those 1099-DIV thingies are.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Lots of dogs in the city, now there a fine meal
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

always exciting to pick up a gun that you've been wanting... congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Coot
    Now I know what those 1099-DIV thingies are
    That there is funny, I don't care who you are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I know what you mean, I have a smooth bore and love it Mine is from TVA. Here are some things I made to use with my Flintlock, Hope you enjoy it.
    Last edited by Runs With Beer; 04-30-2009 at 09:37 PM.

A new gun feels good,I know the feeling.I have a double barrel 12 guage blackpowder gun myself.Percussion cap,but trust my modern inline with 209 primers and pyrodex pellets more for hunting during BP season.The scope also makes it nice.For survival purposes my 10/22 with cheap dependable ammo would be my first grab.Squirrels are the most abundant eatin critter in these parts.Bitin those shot are bad on the teeth.

Congrats on getting the rifle you wanted, especially at half price!

But That would not be my first choice either.

Humm what would be my first choice... I know!

A Springfield M6 Scout .22 Hornet/.410 SS!

I WANT MY RIFLE BACK!!!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Blog Entries

Alright, nothing like blackpowder. Smells so...............primitive.

Here is my 54 rifle. Been wanting one for years and finally got this one in a trade. It was made in the early 70's, but has a brand new barrel.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have yet to sight it in. Not really in a rush as it is my elk rifle and the elk hunt is not for a few years. I have the rifle, the tipi, the buckskins, the french boot mocs, still in the process of accumulating my gear.

Post a pic.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 03-03-2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: fixed the picture

Get Some!

Quote Originally Posted by Runs With Beer View Post
    I know what you mean, I have a smooth bore and love it Mine is from TVA. Here are some things I made to use with my Flintlock, Hope you enjoy it.
    Damn, you're quite the craftsman.
    Hard times don't last -- Hard people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Runs With Beer View Post
    Nice work, I like the vent pic much nicer then my hunk of brass wire. It looks like an old key cut off. Powder horn is nice too, the strap off the bottom side.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I had a Hawken 54 cal once and traded it and its goodies for a Ruger 1 in 30-06. Traded that for electric bill.
    "Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.”

— Thoreau

Ive got an electric bill Ill trade you for anything of value.

No, Stairman. See, he had a smooth bore...or never mind.

Blog Entries

This thread could be moved to the new "Guns and Ammo" page.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    Lots of dogs in the city, now there a fine meal
    lol. and a good way to get yourself scalped homie.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Nice work, I like the vent pic much nicer then my hunk of brass wire. It looks like an old key cut off. Powder horn is nice too, the strap off the bottom side.
    Thank you, Its made from an old key and an allen wrench, You cant see it in the pic, but the allen wrench was heated and twisted.

You should think about learning to make your own powder. A lot of folks these days are getting muzzleloaders because of the "ammo shortage", but somehow don't understand that if there comes a time that they can't buy ammo then they probably won't be able to buy black powder either.

(I'm not advocating doing anything illegal if homeade powder is somehow illgeal in your area, Just sayin...)