Thread: Knots used in the woods

Question Knots used in the woods

Hello all, i am wanting to learn some knot tying skills, i am familiar with a few basic knots, but am curious what you all find useful in the bush, and for what uses. i have read or heard somewhere that there is a knot that can be used for climbing, similar to a
    prusik knot but that can be used with your feet kinda like a ladder. any info given would be appreciated.
    also: does anyone know of any class in the iowa illinois area that teaches a class on edible plants. i have looked at my local college and have found no info.

I'm not familiar with the knot that you are asking about. I have always found it best to keep both of my feet on the ground.

This is from Iowa State. Maybe they offer a class (or at one of their extension offices) http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pub...ons/IAN302.pdf

Looks like the Iowa DNR offers classes. http://www.iowadnr.gov/springbrook/a...ediblewild.pdf
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well you can use a prussic loop as a Jumar to ascend a rope. There are alternatives to prussics as well called the bachman knot, and kleimheist knot.

Anyway, some great knots everyone should know...bowline, figure eight family of knots, the truckers hitch, the double fisherman, clove hitch, sheep shank, half hitch, water knot and overhand knot
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Blog Entries

I basically stick to figure-8 follow-through and on a bite, butterfly, prusiks, clove hitch, double-fishermen, munter hitch, water knot, and the half-hitch..

KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid..

EDIT:

similar to a prusik knot but that can be used with your feet kinda like a ladder.
    What they are referring to there is two short lengths of rope with their ends tied together with a double-fisherman. You keep these two ropes with you, in case you have to self-rescue..

You attach them to your main line with prusiks knots, one on top of the other, then you slide one up, step into it, slide up the other, step into it, and so on and so on..

Viola.. A ladder..
    Last edited by dougz; 02-27-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Of course it depends on what you are using for rope/line/string. the only knot we taught at SERE was the overhand... why , well under stress this is probably the only knot most of these knuckleheads will remember. Muliple overhand knots can be used together to perfom the functions of other knots.
    I know what hunts you.

I would suggest getting a field guide or survival handbook. I have the SAS survival handbook, which has a section of knots, and how/why to use them. If you can't afford or don't want to buy a book this may help:

http://www.animatedknots.com/
    http://www.realknots.com/knots/

or just google knots
    Last edited by Scoobywan; 02-28-2009 at 04:40 PM.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

Look for the Ashley Book of Knots. Over 4000 knots and their uses. It's the bible of knot tying.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Of course it depends on what you are using for rope/line/string. the only knot we taught at SERE was the overhand... why , well under stress this is probably the only knot most of these knuckleheads will remember. Muliple overhand knots can be used together to perfom the functions of other knots.
    The problem with this is overhand knots are extremely hard to get untied after you've loaded the rope...and multiple overhand knots just add to the mess, this often ends up with the ropes having to be cut. The only way to remember knots is to practice, practice, practice...a bowline, and figure 8's are very easy to remember if you practice them a few hundred times....they also come untied much, much easier than a overhand knot that has been pulled tight.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Thank You all for the responses, have been practicing the figure eight knots, double fisherman and half hitch. I want to be competent in a few then move on to more.