Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bird hunting

Post bird hunting

any good bird hunting methods?

Um, see flock of geese--incoming--, point shotgun, squeeze trigger. That's pretty much a tried and true method. Works well for ducks too. (Recommend 20 or 12 guage, #2 shot for geese, #4 for ducks)

See flock of ptarmigan--nesting, pick a few heads off with .22, or shoot into flock with shotgun when they take off, Recommend .410, #6 shot. Works for grouse too.

Employ large black cat with white tummy and red nose, provide said cat with blueprints, floorplans, security devices, guard dog whereabouts and turn cat loose. One of these days, it's gonna work on that *$#!!! Tweety-bird!!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

(assuming that you are in a survival situation) I once read this tip... clear a space of ground, free of branches, tall weeds, etc... scatter bird seed; pre-rig a netting system trap to drop on/over the birds, or just use a shotgun... but, like I said... it should be a survival situation or ya might tick off the game warden!

nets work, honestly.

i had neighbors growing up who strung fishnet over their vegetable garden and at least once a week birds would get tangled in it and raise all manner of heck till somebody came and cut them loose.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

I just remembered another thing that I picked up from a "homeless survival site"...

[B]My Pigeon Traps- Pigeons are funny critters (and easy to catch,IMO). Besides beanin' them with sticks, I've chunked fist-sized rocks at em, and trapped them. In the cities, go where there's flocks of them and they aren't really afraid of people. Feed them for a little bit, then go about setting up your trap(s). Scatter a little more feed and sit back and wait. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get enough for dinner.

The traps were nothing more elaborate than cardboard boxes that had been broken down and refolded so I could stick my arm through the top to grab the birds. Put a weight on the top of the box so it drops quick and prop it up with a stick. Tie a string to the bottom of the prop-stick and run it out about 20 feet or so. Bait the ground underneath and around the box so the birds have a reason to gather and when you have some targets, pull the stick out. Wearing gloves, grab them and quickly wring their necks, then leave the area before someone decides you are a "job for the police"...

I suppose you could use milk crates, but I never had any available... and while I never tried this, if you have a hammock, you could build a frame for it and set it up like you did the box. It would cover more ground so, conceivably, you can bag more birds at once (just a thought).

That info came from this site...

http://www.stormloader.com/plainsman...ngHomeless.htm

cool thanks a lot

(assuming that you are in a survival situation) I once read this tip... clear a space of ground, free of branches, tall weeds, etc... scatter bird seed; pre-rig a netting system trap to drop on/over the birds, or just use a shotgun... but, like I said... it should be a survival situation or ya might tick off the game warden!

If you are lost in the woods , in a survival situation, I really don't give a rats behind! In fact if a game warden shows up all the better, he can drag my dumb (for getting lost) *** out of there.
    I know what hunts you.

Blog Entries

This is a secret method for catching birds that my grandfather taught me. I'm going to share it with you because you are so young. It's probably illegal in most states though.

1. Get a box of bird seed.
    2. Get a box of Morten's salt.
    3. Open the box of bird seed and pour a pile of seed on the ground.
    4. Open the box of salt.
    5. Lay down within arms reach of the pile of bird seed and wait for a bird to land and start eating the seed.
    6. Gently reach out with the box of salt and pour it on the birds tail. The bird will be unable to fly away with salt on it's tail, so you can easily catch it.

Don't get discouraged if it takes quite a few tries before you figure out the technique. It's kinda like trying to kill something with a sling. It takes allot of practice.

Now remember this is a secret so don't tell anyone. Especially anyone in law enforcement.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

so it's a felonious ***-salt?
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Ok, I'll bite...How can that possibly work?? The salt would just slide right off the tail feathers!! Unless I am missing something??
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Reminds me of an old Loony Tunes episode, Tweety vs. Sylvester, or Wile E. Coyote vs. The Roadrunner.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

I have found that dropping some of this salt on a birds tail to be an effective way of ensuring that they did not fly away.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Have you tried this method?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by laughing beetle View Post
    Unless I am missing something??
    Yes, you are. The sarcasm.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Starving Artist

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    somebody call a fowl....

Here's another bird method:

Dig a hole
    put ashes in the hole.
    put peas around the the hole.
    When the bird comes to take a pea, sneak up on 'em & kick him in the ash hole.

Works well for elephants, too.
    Dennis K.
    Not all who wander are lost.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laughing beetle View Post
    Ok, I'll bite...How can that possibly work?? The salt would just slide right off the tail feathers!! Unless I am missing something??
    Now you are mature enough that you should be able to figure out why an old man would tell a kid to try something like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Oh, in the worst way!

Get a German Shorthair Poiner, set him loose in a big field that has nice cover, walk/run behind him. When he stops and points, get ready...when he moves up slowly to what he's pointing at- shoulder your gun. When the winged critters takes flight quickly follow it with your shotgun....simultaneously you'll need to... Id it, swiftly follow from behind it...get it in your sites, then lead it a tiny amount, pull trigger and keep moving gun in direction of birds travel.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    Get a German Shorthair Poiner, set him loose in a big field that has nice cover, walk/run behind him. When he stops and points, get ready...when he moves up slowly to what he's pointing at- shoulder your gun. When the winged critters takes flight quickly follow it with your shotgun....simultaneously you'll need to... Id it, swiftly follow from behind it...get it in your sites, then lead it a tiny amount, pull trigger and keep moving gun in direction of birds travel.
    lol. ID it hell, just start blasting and eat whatever falls out of the sky.
    Last edited by Alpine_Sapper; 03-02-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger andy View Post
    any good bird hunting methods?
    Andy, maybe you oughta' just hang around with Colonel Sanders or Frank Perdue for a bit longer.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark