View Poll Results: the best flamable matteral?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • cloth

20 44.44%
  • dry wood

14 31.11%
  • paper

7 15.56%
  • string

6 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: fire starting methods

This is probably mentioned here on the forum somewhere, but a commercial "fire log" cut into appropriate sized pieces works pretty well. (Dur**lame etc.) One log makes a ton of little cubes/sticks and costs less than what some stores market as "fire sticks". They are both basically the same idea of wood dust, wax and a little magic thrown in. Of course you need the initial match or lighter to light it. I know, its a little lazy since its not the flint and steel method, but it's just another tool in the toolbox.

Survivalist in Training surviveordie's Avatar

A good way to start a fire is cotton (whether it's cotton balls or natural cotton off a tree, it doesn't matter) and a fire striker. Spread the cotton out a little bit, add some small, DRY twigs and it should burn the wood right away. I also have a mixture of sawdust and ground up sap that I add on top of the pile to help it burn. It works really well.

(You can also replace the cotton with char cloth, though you need a lot more of the sawdust/sap mixture)

Hey there Survivordie, how about lighting your way on over to the Introduction Section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BAKWOODS View Post
    down here in south australia you cant beat a piece of paperbark torn strait off the tree this stuff ignites with the smallest spark.also the fluffy down from the smoke tree ,one spark and its in flames.it is one of the only tinders that i can get fire with a flint and steel thats not the manufactureed type
    That paperbark looks like amazing stuff. I watched a video not long ago and it seemed like it was all over the place.

I'm sort of OCD when it comes to packing away fire making resources in my packs and kits.

I'm not a big fan of matches in general but I have several books of MRE paper matches here and there. I put them in tiny ziplocks made to store pills, and kind of leave them in odd places like a pyromaniac Johnny Appleseed.

My machete sheaths usually have a Doan tool laced on.

Inside my pack there is a clip for car keys. I keep a doan tool, hacksaw blade scraper, and a steel match case filled with PJ Cotton clipped there. This is held together with two ranger bands so it won't jangle but they also work as tinder.

In my belt pouch possibles bag I have a scout model ferro rod with a small vial of PJ Cotton. I normally use the ferro rod and natural tinder gathered along the way to light my fire at least once during every trip.

I keep a large YELLOW bic in that bag as well.

I keep a small yellow Bic in the pouch of my canteen cover.

I always keep a PSK on my person in the bush which will have either a Sparklite and tinder or a BSA Hotspark.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Default i have one

i have a much much much much better one.......................................... A LIGHTER. no seriosly i carry a lighter and matches in a water proof box and a fire steel
    What you seek you never get, so why do we seek peace - unknown

Im ready for any challange that is put before me. If i cant best it i will swallow my pride and ask for help, even from an enemy. - me

Lose your king and you are without a ruler. Lose your army and you have lost all that you had. Your family, your protection, and your hope. - unknown

Gosh, Pa, ain't it a wonder?

Indeed it is Billy. It didn't always look like this though. I can remember my grandfather telling stories of Pyro Mac settin' little fires here and there until one day it was just one big fire.

But the ashes sure are purdy.

Yes, and useful. Why I don't reckon Ma would have a way to make soap if it weren't for Pyro Mac.

Well that would suit me just fine. A kid ought not have to take a bath no way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Gosh, Pa, ain't it a wonder?

Indeed it is Billy. It didn't always look like this though. I can remember my grandfather telling stories of Pyro Mac settin' little fires here and there until one day it was just one big fire.

But the ashes sure are purdy.

Yes, and useful. Why I don't reckon Ma would have a way to make soap if it weren't for Pyro Mac.

Well that would suit me just fine. A kid ought not have to take a bath no way.
    please tell me this is not a personal case

Im ready for any challange that is put before me. If i cant best it i will swallow my pride and ask for help, even from an enemy. - me

Lose your king and you are without a ruler. Lose your army and you have lost all that you had. Your family, your protection, and your hope. - unknown

This is a pencil. This is paper. (sketching quickly). This is Mac. This is Mac setting a fire. Oh! Dang the paper is on fire. (blowing on paper). That Mac is gooooood.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Talking hahahaha

thats funny

THE best starter is the dry inner of the fugi growing on birch trees.
    take a small piece or it, lay on a flat flint about 1 inch squ.
    strike once, fire!

Flints and steels? thats all good, don't get me wrong, but anybody here ever use a bow, spindle and fire board? Or a magnifing glass? I've done both on several occations, It's a very satisfying skill to aquire and not that difficult once you get it down.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Beaucoup posts on both. That's why I carry BIC lighters.

Well hiya Rick, how you been? I can't seem to find Beaucoup on the members list ,could you please paste the post for me ...pleeeeease.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ted, I do both the bow drill and hand drill semi-regularly. I would vote, but "dry grass" isn't an option. It's the best ball of fire that propagates quickly.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Ted,

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Beaucoup posts on both. That's why I carry BIC lighters.
    Beaucoup is French for abundance.

Have you done a search?

Here is one thread I found using the search feature. The drop down box is in the first green band.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ight=bow+drill

There are others you have to sort a bit to find what you are looking for.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

YCC ,Hand drill!!!! very impressive! Ive tried it, never had blisters so bad in my life! My hands were sore for days. I was even using a fire board I'd already used for the bow and drill! My spindle was about 2' long, both board and spindle maple,worked fine with the bow with a 12' spilldel.
    I figured maple too hard for hand drillin'. What kind of wood do you use for the hand set up?

Thanks Gryff! I did a members advanced search and got nothing,...LOL..(I'm not french!) Thanks alot bro!

Thanks again Gryff, and thank you YCC, great stuff on the fire by friction thread!
    Last edited by Ted; 01-16-2010 at 02:06 PM.

I bought a replica of a 1839 glass magnifying glass, that the mountain men used to start fires with at the Ft Bridger rendezvous. It will start a fire (obviously when you have sun) in about 30 seconds. I add it to my waterproof matches, Bic lighter, magnesium rod and flint and steel.

I can't believe how fast the magnifying glass works. Its about about 3" round and the center of the glass is about 1/2" thick and tapers to about 1/8" at the edges.
    Last edited by Rick-SAR; 01-16-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Just about any lens can be used to start a fire. Just about... Even a broken light bulb with a little water in the glass globe can be used to concentrate the suns rays. Probably the best, however, is a Fresnel lens.