View Poll Results: the best flamable matteral?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • cloth

20 44.44%
  • dry wood

14 31.11%
  • paper

7 15.56%
  • string

6 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: fire starting methods

Any issues for you guys using the forum the past few minutes?? I have been booted off the sight entirely, after the sight freezes up.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

The site is freezing on me when I click on new posts. Are there gremlins in the server again?
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

I noticed that things were responding a bit slow last night.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I'm kinda partial to using a Benz-o-matic soldering torch and a half quart of motor oil.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Co pilot: Holy cow! Look at that! The Alaskan pipeline must be burning.

Pilot peering through binoculars: Nope. Just Klkak building a fire.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger andy View Post
    smart *** lol but love good idea now one problem its probably illegal
    In the United States, private ownership of a flamethrower is not restricted by federal law.

God Bless America

or maybe i got a life and a girl friend

Ranger andy, I don't really like any of your options. My prefrences are birch bark, cat tails, and cotton balls doused in petrolium jelly.
    Speaking of which, Crash, nice fire starting kit. I've actually taken the matches out of my kit. Now I just get a twig, give it a swirl in the cottonball vasoline container and hit it with a spark from my strike force. and there you go , home made match, burns longer than a match, stays lit even in a down pour, and I get way more lights out of the same container the matches were in.
    I know what hunts you.

Out of all of the different tinders in the kit (dry cotton, vaseline soaked cotton, dryer lint, sisal twine, Wetfire Tinder) the Wetfire is pretty awsome stuff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Co pilot: Holy cow! Look at that! The Alaskan pipeline must be burning.

Pilot peering through binoculars: Nope. Just Klkak building a fire.
    I said "half a quart" not half the contents of an "oil tanker"
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I'm with crash, Out of all of the different tinder's in my kit (Vaseline soaked cotton, dryer lint, sisal twine, Wetfire Tinder 'AND' NATO wind-proof/waterproof matches), the Wetfire and the NATO matches are the best, and always with me. They will always burn even in pouring rain!
    And as crash put it "Wetfire is awesome stuff"!!!
    Last edited by Gray Wolf; 03-03-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

RANT:
    "or maybe i got a life and a girl friend"
    It seems to me that lately several young people my age (young teens) are coming and disrespecting their elders. I'm a firm believer that children, including myself, shouldn't smart off to people older than themselves. Difference of opinions are fine, suggestions are fine, but smarting off because you don't like an answer they give you is entirely unacceptable.
    END RANT

Back on topic... I've been trying to ween myself off man made tinder. I carry it, but only for emergencies when I need a fire FAST. Nothing gives you a feeling quite like starting a fire with natural tinder and a flint and steel. For man made tinder nothing beats dryer lint soaked with petroluem jelly.
    Last edited by MatthewnOK; 03-04-2009 at 12:32 AM.
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewnOK View Post
    I've been trying to ween myself off man made tinder. I carry it, but only for emergencies when I need a fire FAST. Nothing gives you a feeling quite like starting a fire with natural tinder and a flint and steel. For man made tinder nothing beats dryer lint soaked with petroleum jelly.
    Matt, first, I 99% of the time only use a Flint to start my fires. The other 1% is used to keep my abilities (practice) starting fires the old ways ie; fire bow etc. Yes the other items I use are man made, JUST like the dryer lint, which needs a Dryer machine to start with! Next your petroleum jelly, it's a major man made product! Last problem, your steel is also man made When I practice a fire-bow, I don't use boot laces or any other factory product, I make my cordage from the naturals in that area. Yes very time consuming, but natural! but not completely, because I'm not going to Knapp a knife or axe, so I use a man made steel knife. (Again only to stay proficient will I Knapp a knife.) So If it's pouring or snowing heavily with serious winds, I will use a flint and Wetfire or the NATO matches. That will save me or my party. As for your statement "For man made tinder nothing beats dryer lint soaked with petroleum jelly." I then can only deduct that you've never tried WetFire, or even the NATO matches. Do you follow what I'm saying?

a zip lock bag filled with Diesel Dust is nice... I keep a bag in my fire starting kit. which is a small dry bag containing 2 lighters, a couple of candles, some vaselined up cotton balls, a bunch of waterproof matches, some strike anywhere matches, and a magnesium fire starter, a couple of tampons, and some drier lint. When I am guiding other people, I like to have back-ups for my back-ups, so it may seem like overkill. But, its relatively small and I've never had to deal with not being able to start a fire!

Lastly...I am competent at making and using a bow drill.

FIRE is very important.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    Matt, first, I 99% of the time only use a Flint to start my fires. The other 1% is used to keep my abilities (practice) starting fires the old ways ie; fire bow etc. Yes the other items I use are man made, JUST like the dryer lint, which needs a Dryer machine to start with! Next your petroleum jelly, it's a major man made product! Last problem, your steel is also man made When I practice a fire-bow, I don't use boot laces or any other factory product, I make my cordage from the naturals in that area. Yes very time consuming, but natural! but not completely, because I'm not going to Knapp a knife or axe, so I use a man made steel knife. (Again only to stay proficient will I Knapp a knife.) So If it's pouring or snowing heavily with serious winds, I will use a flint and Wetfire or the NATO matches. That will save me or my party. As for your statement "For man made tinder nothing beats dryer lint soaked with petroleum jelly." I then can only deduct that you've never tried WetFire, or even the NATO matches. Do you follow what I'm saying?
    Yes, I think we're saying the same thing. I carry matches and lighters, but I also carry flint and steel and can build a fire with a bowdrill (sometimes...) I've been meaning to give wetfire a try but haven't get around to it yet. What I meant is if it's a nice clear sunny day and i'm in no hurry i'll start a fire with a flint and some cedar bank, but if i just fell into 40 degree water and need a fire RIGHT then I'll be using matches/lighters and some good man made tinder.
    BTW are all the little commercial tinder things basically the same despite the name?
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewnOK View Post
    BTW are all the little commercial tinder things basically the same despite the name?
    IMO, no they are not.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

down here in south australia you cant beat a piece of paperbark torn strait off the tree this stuff ignites with the smallest spark.also the fluffy down from the smoke tree ,one spark and its in flames.it is one of the only tinders that i can get fire with a flint and steel thats not the manufactureed type

I have cotton balls and dryer lint in petroleum jelly in film canisters. I also have some slow match in a tinder box and some water proof matches. I also cary a strike force.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    IMO, no they are not.
    That's why he' the best QC agent we have!!!

Jason - Besides an album by Midnight Oil, what's diesel dust?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.