Thread: What are your spring plans?

Default What are your spring plans?

I'm looking forward to planting the garden. It'll be my 12th year and each has been a learning / refining process. Not only is it relaxing to tend the garden. It's hard to beat fresh veggies.

I'd also like to make the turkey hunt lotto. I've corn fed them and the deer all winter. Some have names like Gertrude and, white or dark meat.

It would be nice to make the fishing opener and also do some camping. To pan fry some fish or BBQ while sipping a beer. Who could want more?

How 'bout the ride with the window down rite of spring? Everyone looks happy and relaxed.

Yep. There are probably a few more but, I can look forward to these.

What are your plans?

Riding with the window down... definately Go fishing, explore this gorge that is about 8 miles back of the house, explore the trails up on Tugg Hill, maybe make a couple of unobtrusive ones of my own. ( I don't hack my way through.) Get the apple trees ready for the spring budding. Maybe find some fresh maple syrup for my next overnight romp. Bannock with maple syrup and fresh coffee in the morning, while the birds and chipmunks are saying hello to the new day... Oh, I am so looking forward to all of that.
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Default Whoooo weeeeee!!!!!!

I am looking forward to not being COLD all the time, camping, teaching my friends and future in laws outdoor stuff, not being COLD, giving my beautiful girl
    her engagement ring, cooking outside more, and not being COLD. ( it seems I moved to Michigan just in time for the worst winter in years)
    -Sam

Blog Entries

Moving soon. Tons of little changes to make to the place. Hope to finish the job in time to start a veggie garden. Also want to start some asparagus and blueberry bushes for future years.

Get the red Cobra out of the garage where it's been sleeping since October. Roll the top down, check the radar detector , kick on the i-Pod tunes .... highways and back roads, here we come! Kickin' around Newport, R.I. at night.
    The ocean! Atlantic will be a mile away. Fishing , snorkeling, swimming. Maybe get back into diving - it's been a few years.

Cold Beer! Drinking cold beer by the fire pit at night.

I live for the spring, summer, and early fall. Mid fall - the season of death - and winter just plain suck.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Getting outside without being all bundled up.

Planting, garden and food plots for deer/turkey. Getting on the soft water with the boat. Turkey hunting. Springtime is also when we get the years livestock, hogs, goats, cows and turkeys. Getting outside to barbecue in above freezing weather.

I hope the next three weeks are not like the one we're having in Georgia now. We've got a few inches of snow right now. Next weekend, camping with friends, the weekend after that (father son camping with my 8 year old) and the following weekend, camping with my wife and her grandparents. That's just March. Hopefully, more of the same in April.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

this spring i plan to make more forrays into the hills east and northeast of me, and a few up to higher elevations.

at 2000-3000ft the freezes will be over soon, and the morels will be comming up, so i hope to make a few trips for the purpose.

i have plans for a group trek through ishi wilderness, which will be scheduled as soon as the group can get the same days available.

i'm getting my spring-summer garden together, having many things planted now, and several others germinating indoors for transplant.

i plan to do as much fishing as i can get in.

i will be working on my bows and doing more knives. i will be knaping as much stone as i can.

i have an old 3.5hp two stroke engine still to clean up and repair, which is going on a bicycle frame with any luck.

i have many other projects i hope to start, and i plan to make some pictorials of some of them for the group.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Im looking to do a 3day camp and some turkey hunting when season opens but was wondering how long a bird will keep or what i could do to extend it's edibility any help would be very appriciated

I can't wait to get back into the dirt. Lots of projects, planned and unplanned.
    First order of business is to get rid of some ice-damaged trees. I won't have to buy firewood next year but the splitting is gonna be a chore unless I rent a machine.

This year I'm bringing in some 3-year-old blueberry plants. Have a bed all set for them, done up last fall. Gonna have to dig a new bed out in the seep for the cranberries I got. Don't know if I'll chance em directly into a new bed though. They may have to sit in pots til next spring, but I couldn't pass on the deal.

The veggie garden is getting bigger this year too. Next weekend is seed start week!

Getting a new gennie installed too as soon as I can pour anchors for it.

And then there is fishing. I usually go in April and friggin freeze my arse off with nothing much to show for it. Then blues and stripers all summer. In between, there is always the lake nearby. It's catch and release but the bass are good size and the pickerel are big and just plain fun. Sitting in the boat and casting a few after work is a great way to end the day. Can't wait for Ice Out day!

you're lucky you got a lake nearby. i love fishing the rivers, but it's almost an hour to decent lake fishing, and even there, the fishing's not showing much promise this year.

good luck with the blueberries and crans.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

camping ... can't wait... had to go get the tent, sleeping bags, etc... nobody else in my family likes the idea of a more primitive setup
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

Minersville, PA

Thats a hard one to answer, I might go to new jersey for spring break, if not Ill go camping the whole time... both are good ways to get away from all this. Should get around 8 or so days off there...

I am looking forward to planting the veg garden. This will be my third year doing it and i have doubled the size this year. I also plan to plant more trees and shrubs on my property to include a few blueberry bushes and some fruit trees.

I can't wait to put the soft top back on my jeep and cruise aroound with the top down.

Default I do love spring and the Army...sometimes

Well I'm spending a nice 5 days off work this weekend hunting coyotes and cougars with my buddy.

Then I'm going to cuss Obama a bit

Then I'm going to cuss Obama a bit more

Then I'm going to go hunt some black bear

Then I'm going to cuss Obama even more

Then I'm going to pack up my wife and house

Then I'm going to move her and my stuff to IN while cussing Obama

Then I'm going to look back and say boy that was a nice 12 months in USA

Then I'm going to land back in the S**THOLE called Iraq

O Well I like being with my family every other holiday and hunting every other season anyways:fuk2:

OK I'm done

P.S. Thank you Mr. President for moving my deployment date up 12 months, you are doing a great JOB!!
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Build 20 new dog houses with shade structures
    dig all of my canoes out of snow drifts
    work in my garden
    pick-up trash and bones that appear when the snow melts
    get stuck in the mud
    cuss the mud
    fix everything that winter broke around my place
    go camping
    Kayak flooding snow-melt fueled wild rivers
    take a long hot soak in a hot spings
    wash my union suit
    watch my son develop
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Thumbs up

My plans are to do a lot of camping and to spend as much time as I can in the mountains trout fishing and just kicking back and enjoying the outdoors. I also plan on planting a bigger garden this year because my wife wants to can more than we usually do. Plus, I enjoy working in the garden.
    I finally feel alive this year since I have recovered from the flesh-eating-disease. That stuff kicked my butt for about 6 years and it has been a long road. It has given me a new outlook on life and I plan on enjoying it a lot more.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

overtime,overtime,overtime,overtime,overtime,overt ime,hmm and maybe a bit of overtime. right now lots of it will miss the spring and all my plans, have been on 21 days straight so far of 12 hour shifts with at least two more months of it coming, need the money as when the hospital is done i don't know if there will be any work up here as the mines are shutting down for a spell so my plans are overtime and why not with the premium i get for double time shifts its worth a few months of my time to sock some denero away.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Plant the garden, and like a few others, it is getting bigger, do some fishing, pick fiddleheads, fish a bit more, cut some trees down on one part of the yard, go fishing, go on a river trip, and probably do some fishing....Also have a bit of work to do on the house and outbuildings. We picked up a tent trailer last year, looking forward to using it as well. Love the tent, but with the bad hip, hard to sleep on the ground anymore....

I'll be heading up to Whistler, B.C. this spring/summer for some bike riding. Should be a good time.
    The US is our trading partner, our neighbour, our ally and our friend... and sometimes we'd like to give them such a smack! -Rick Mercer

A little gardening, a little yard work, a bit more hiking, shave a couple of strokes off my golf game.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel