Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ramem Noodles

If I'm not mistaken, Accent (if it's sold) major ingretient is MSG. You see big Co's (ie; Cambells, Progresso) advertising that they're taking MSG out of they're products. There are a lot of people that get "the Chinese Syndrome", bad headache's from it. You now also see many Chinese Restaurants advertising "No MSG". It's used as a flavor enhancer for quick cooked foods.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

I love ramen the boys kill for what they call ramen casserol (easy on the spelling) 1 pack beef or chicken flavor, Two strips of bacon, or ham. Vegies, Cheese (Sharp chedder only) boiled together feeds 1/2 of a teenage boy speaking of which...dang it now im hungry
    Life is a path that cannot be seen but must be walked

i dont eat ramen because of the MSG which can also be under the label "natural flavorings" it has been linked to cancer and other nasty stuff. ramen has no nutritional value so i think it sucks as a camp or survival food. to much gives me headaches and low energy kind of a sick feeling. even though its carbohydrates its white flower so like sugar its absorbed very fast into the blood stream and used up very fast causing insulin spikes. whole wheat gives you a more steady flow of energy and helps you feel fuller and dosnt cause those insulin spikes. quinoa noodles are a great food for camping or survival. its got lots of protein and nutrients and carbs. the Incas considered it highly valuable and took it with them during travel and used in when they were going to war.

I tried the Ramen Noodles out for the first time last week, and I really liked them. I even fixed my grandson a package of them for lunch the other day and now I cannot keep him out of them. He comes to my house at least 3 times a week now wanting pappy to fix him a bowl of noodles. Needless to say, they are now a regular item on our grocery list.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by vthompson View Post
    I tried the Ramen Noodles out for the first time last week, and I really liked them. I even fixed my grandson a package of them for lunch the other day and now I cannot keep him out of them. He comes to my house at least 3 times a week now wanting pappy to fix him a bowl of noodles. Needless to say, they are now a regular item on our grocery list.
    yeah, I keep one of the flats (30 or so pkgs per flat) of each of like 8 different flavors cause my daughter eats them all the time. Not only are they calorie dense for the size and weight, if you put the seasoning in the water and make the broth it will make you fuller and help hydrate you (like there's not so much sodium in there you won't retain the water anyway). For like, $2, I can keep enough in the car to feed everybody for a week, ya know? While I understand the MSG causes cancer and stuff, if I worried about everything they said causes cancer nowadays I'd be sitting in a locked padded closet with no air conditioning, since the freon could be dangerous, and no water, since their may be BPA from the container or some other contaminant the bottled water manufacturer missed when they filtered the tap water, and no food, because it might not be organic free range, etc etc. I just don't have time for all that crap. Besides, some crazy lady could put arsenic in the curry and kill us all, or the PINK FLUFFY BUNNIES could attack...

Oh, the really great thing about ramen? In a desperate situation you can cook them right in the package (wouldn't suggest if unless you HAVE to) but I make them almost daily by just crushing the package (or not, sometimes) adding the seasoning, cover 1" or so over the top of the noodles, and if you have it, take something and put over the bowl (I usually completely unfold the package and lay it over to give it some insulation so the steam doesn't melt the book I cover it with) and wait 10 minutes while you drink the coffee you made at the same time. Noodles will be done by the time you finish the first cup.

EDIT: DO NOT USE BOILING WATER TO MAKE THEM IF YOU DO IT IN THE PACKAGE!!! I figured it would be common sense, but I'm not trying to have Ken contact me with a lawsuit because you burned yourself. Just open the package, crush the noodles, dump in the seasoning, and then cover with hot hot water. If the noodles aren't soft enough for you when the water is absorbed, add more water, fold the top of the package back down, and be wait a little longer.
    Last edited by Rick; 04-22-2009 at 06:47 AM.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

They are high in calories for the weight making them an easy meal on the trail. I figure theyre not very good for you as Owl Girl has stated but in moderation I think theyll be fine. As far as the cancer thing Im not convinced. If you eat your fruits and veggies like you should then most toxins will be binded and expelled naturally.

If i got rid of everything that was thought to cause cancer in my kitchen I would be a very hungy person
    Life is a path that cannot be seen but must be walked

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Runs With Beer View Post
    Up untill last week I never tried these, And I have to admit there not bad, And you cant beat the price. Today for lunch I put a hand full of cabbage in a beef one and it was great. Im sure this is old news to most of you. Just was woundering what yall thought about them?
    ramen, is not the other food anymore,The pork, and the shrimp flavor are my favorites. they have a long shelf-life.for a 3 minute meal they are hard to pass up
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

For me, the down side of Quinoa outweighs it's upside. From a convenience standpoint for sure and the saponins contained in the Quinoa are somewhat toxic. It's a bit like poke weed in that you have go through several changes of water. I don't eat poke weed for the same reason. It certainly is a very healthy food otherwise but a bit hard to find around here.

I only use half the seasoning in the Ramen package. I don't care for all the sodium a full package adds and the flavor is still there with half a package. Yeah, Ramen, by the case...or.....buy the case. Either way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.