Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forging another knife!!

Default Forging another knife!!

Well I've had this knife idea for a long time, but didn't really want to tell anyone. I was afraid it might get copied, but I don't think that's too realistic. Anyway it's I' forging a knife out of a crow bar. The idea is to take that hooked end of a crow bar that has the distinctive "V" pry head at the end, and straighten it out. So instead of having a hook in a crow bar, it's completely straight. Then I cut so it's the length to wear I could forge a knife from it. Basicaly I'm going to take the V pryhead of the crow bar, and make that the but of knife. Then keep the normal octogon design for the handle part, I'll just wrap that in parachord, and then I'll hamer out a blade. So it's going to look basically like a normal knife with a cord wrappen handle, and pryhead looking butt. I'll be wicked tough, all out of once piece of metal, great for throwing digging and especially prying. The butt will be great for prying nails or boards and anything. It's spine is going to be thick to stustain any possible strain I put on it. Also the crowbar is not one of those new cheap ones that are made in China. It's old American steel, and when you hammer it you can tell. It's hard as heck! Stuart, who's my blacksmith teacher, whacked it once or twice just to see how hard it was and says it's like hammering a railroad spike or stainless. But it's turning out great. The handle is a little long, but next time I go to work on it we're going to try to fix that. It's going to be one beast of a knife. I hope I explained it thoroughly. If you don't understand what I'm trying to say tell me, and I'll try to make it more clear. So what do you guys think of the idea?
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

I look forward to seeing pics of it. Are you taking them as you go to kind of show a before, after and in between?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i like the sound of that. could be a very strong tool.
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I look forward to seeing pics of it. Are you taking them as you go to kind of show a before, after and in between?
    Man you reminded me, we were planning to do that! Dang I wish I would have taken a picture every step of the way. Well It's not that for along , so I'm going to start now. I hope it's not destroyed in the heat treating process, because I'll never get a good old crowbar like that one I used again.
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

Sounds like a good idea you have there, Should be tough. Post some pics when you have them.

Sounds like you are having fun making it. I would be interested to see a pics too.
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Yeah I really want to get some pictures on a digital camera, and post them up.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Be sure to post pics. I would be a little concerned about the weight & balance, length of blade. Should have good steel. Sometime when you make a thrower try an ounce per inch at least a foot total length for what I consider perfect balance. Good Luck & would sure like to see the specs, just curious.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Be sure to post pics. I would be a little concerned about the weight & balance, length of blade. Should have good steel. Sometime when you make a thrower try an ounce per inch at least a foot total length for what I consider perfect balance. Good Luck & would sure like to see the specs, just curious.
    Well I was worried about the balance too, but it turned out ok. The balance point is just at the end of thehandle. Personally I like it at the junction between the handle and blade. If I can bring the blade back a little bit then the balance will be perfect.

Thats a great idea. How long is the handle between the blade and the pry? If it is too short you might be tempted to grab the blade for additional leverage. I would suggest putting the knife edge at the bottom of the prying position or to the side. The scabbard will be the key to making it safe.

Good idea but would something like this be easier?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick, thats a good suggestion. I hear they make good knife stock.

...or a heck of a pry bar.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

My mother used one of those to get me out of bed back in my high school days.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned

Rick if they made a pry bar like that that was 36" long it could be forged into a machete/prybar/multitool or that size could be forged into a one piece tomahawk like axe/hatchet doing a diagonal fold of the bent end to bring it around and double the thickness of the metal at the back of the axe head. At least that is where my imagination took it when I gave it a few seconds thought.

I have one, about 12 inches long, that has a broken pry lip on one side. I'd never cinsidered making a knife out of it until I saw this thread. It's just laying in the tool chest taking up room. Sounds like a springtime project.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Thats a great idea. How long is the handle between the blade and the pry? If it is too short you might be tempted to grab the blade for additional leverage. I would suggest putting the knife edge at the bottom of the prying position or to the side. The scabbard will be the key to making it safe.
    True I've thought about just that. The knife is going to have kind of a fingure notch at the handle, blade junction, like the other knife I made. As for prying, yeah you're going to have to push on the blade. Not the sharp part mind you, just the side, but it definitely could be dangerous. The blade is thick though so there should be plenty of room to place your hand. I don't think there's much I can do about that. Prying with the sheath on might be the best idea. And since just I'm going to be using it, I'll know to be careful. That's a good point you have though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Yeah I was considering that very item when I was shopping for a crow bar (one I didn't end up using) but I just really liked the idea of having the famous Crow Bar turned into a knife, and I also liked the idea of having the round octogon handle. Also I'd have to attach handle scales to a prybar thing like that, and that would take away from the over toughness. If I threw it the handles would eventually come off. But you're right it would have been easier.

It wouldn't have to have scales. No reason you couldn't leave it plain or wrap with paracord. Still, I understand the look you are going for.
    Post some pics in your process.

I'm not quite sure how to put up pictures so this is an attempt.Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.