Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't people post under there real name?

retired American

Most experts in internet security advise against using your real name in forums like this for various reasons. There was a case awhile ago where a Coptic Christian in Philadelphia was murdered and it was believed he may have been killed because of some statements he made on internet. My main reason for being anonymous is I live in a foreign country which has regulations, particularly related to working, that I may have violated and talked about on this forum.

Some folks prefer a bit of anonymity online. Not so much to hide behind and act stupid, as it is to keep any personal information from being easily available to those who would misuse it. There are others who just like their screen names better than their real names.

If you ask someone I know what my name is they wouldn't know, they called me oly for too many years
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I never passed my name around in my line of work. A year after a visit an unhappy camper will always remember your name even if a dozen other men were at their home within that year. I have lived here 30+ yrs, not that many folks know my name but know me if described. Basically in PMs & where I live I could be easily found. My son's father in law came out, stopped to ask where I lived less than 1/4 mile from the house and nobody at the store knew of us, until I was called, told who was asking and if they should tell him. If you want a pic there still may be one on the post office wall.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I have a very public life with my real name. I don't take any special measures to keep it a secret. When my blog was up and running I would link to it in my profile so if anyone wanted to know about my work in Brazil they could. On several occasions I have had people mess with me on the net because I'm a Christian/Pastor/Missionary. That happens mainly on my YT channel. I have a zero tolerance policy with it.

As for posting on the boards I use the same handle everywhere and people know me and the stuff I do in the bush. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

I do use my name.
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

My first name is Erik, feel free to look me up and stop by.

WARNING: Indentify yourself on aproach because I have known to shoot at my own shadow
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

your use of a "user" name, really, is your personal preference... however, having a unique user name is an aid in establishing your "presence" in the - in this case - forum. My real name is David Smith - seriously! There are literally 10s of thousands "David Smith"s out there... I've met about 8 of them myself... so, it makes it less confusing to use a unique "user name". How many "David"s, "Doug"s, "Mark"s, etc are on here... ? (rhetorical question).

It is fairly easy to "track down" an internet user's identity (there is another thread on this topic)... so, having a user name makes it a little harder for the "average" person.

Besides, having a cool user name is sorta like dressing up for Halloween as a kid... you can pretend you're someone else! LOL

When asked for my last name for whatever reason I usually have to spell it to the person requiring it. Then I usually get a idiot remark like "is that a common name?" So if I did post in my real name you still wouldn't believe it.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Benjamin Franklin

cuz I'm secretly a canuckistanian teerurist
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    cuz I'm secretly a canuckistanian teerurist
    I've been a canuckistanian tourist...does that count?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My name is Ben. I am a guy aand I keep and catch snakes.

I joined SASS in 1988 and that Cowboy Action Group requires you to use an alias in the traditions of the old west where people went into the western territories to escape their past and changing their name was common. FWIW in the Old West you never question a man’s name or ask what his prior name was. You accepted him or her or what they were doing not what they may have done “back east” or on the eastern side of the Mississippi

I have known and shot many a SASS match with people I have only known by their alias and couldn’t have told you their birth name or recognized them if you called them by their birth name.

With my Alias of “Beans” I am known on many other web sites and to some people they visually recognize me or acknowledge me by my alias.

In my USMC combat days we all had nicknames some suitable for print in a public forum, some not.

I look at it much the same as a “nick name” I believe that your first name may be Jason but I don’t think you are related to Hanna Montana, as much as I think Montana is the name of your state, However as in some things I may be wrong.

In the area where I live I have met a man who goes by the name “Animal” however I though it was a nickname until I was in another area where they asked him for his real name and for ID. It seem that years ago for reason only know to him he legally changed his name to just “Animal” no last name, no middle initial.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Pict

May God keep blessing you and keep up the good work

A brother in Christ
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

My reason for not posting under my own name is easy, most times I have tried it has been taken....Brian is a common name I guess...... And I really like this little lad....

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not interested in attracting any weirdos or would-be back-to-the-landers to the area. After all, it's not just the forum members that view the info on here, it's potentially every knife and ammo wielding macho survivalist out there. And we already have more than enough of those here, them nasty trophy hunters.
    Actions speak louder than words

My name is Doug, I'm a Staff Sergeant in the ANG, I live on Elmendorf AFB because my wife is Active Duty AF. I have lived in Indiana, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, North Dakota and now Alaska. I am currently a Grounds Inspector for base housing but was a lumberjack for 8 years in Indiana. I have a 9 year old son, been married twice and that's about it. No reason to hide anything here.

I don't think it matters what you call your self. It doesn't change who you are and that is what sets this forum apart. The "crazies", extremists and trolls get filtered out for the most part and the people left posting have the common interest of learning and passing on useful survival information.

Well ok, maybe us crazies are still here, but we keep life entertaining. We are who we are regardless of what we call ourselves here.

Besides, Steve was already taken.
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

retired American

Pict, I am not a missionary but I know many here in Thailand and do some volunteer work for the church and keep up the good work. I was wondering where you got the hat in the photo. I think it is a cool hat.

If I went to a gathering of members I wouldnt have a problem with it but who knows what kind of wierdos are reading these posts,and the town I live in has been posted so with my full name and the town and a phone book then theirs my address and Im found.Maybe by someone I dont care to meet.Now if I lived in the wilds of Alaska it wouldnt be as bad but I would still use a handle.