Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't people post under there real name?

Default Why don't people post under there real name?

I was just reading some heated debates and I was wondering why very few people on forums use their real identities.

It seems there are more folks on here that don't hide behind purely fictitious screen names than on any other forum I've seen.

Hopeak, KKlak, Myself, BruceZed, Mitch Chesney and a few others use signatures, names or posts that people could easily find out who we are and were we live/work.

Ken, Rick and a few others are alot more illusive but still, not hiding behind fictitious identities.

What about the others...why do you choose to be illusive...fear of government, fear of cyber stalkers, fear of real stalkers, fear of having to take responsibilty for your comments? Just curious.

I think one of the reasons I like this forum so much is because, there are alot of real people here.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

How does anyone know my REAL name is Rick? A name is just a name. The person behind the name is still the same regardless of what you call him.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My real name is Tony and i live in scotland (but uk sounds a bit better in a name)
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

My friends call me tsitenha ...if I'm lucky

funny they have a lot of other names for me when that one wears out
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A name is just a name. The person behind the name is still the same regardless of what you call him.
    I disagree. Its easy to be fake online, and never have to be accountable for what you say. Its almost harder to be real online
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Aurelius is a nick name my cousins gave me. It is derived from the full name of Marcus Aurelius. Since my first name is Mark, you can see where they picked up the Aurelius. 95 is when I graduated from college.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Jason - for me it's just a screen name. I usually use my first name when using pm's, so quite a few know my name. Those that I have met on the two camping trips saw my company name and phone number platered all over my truck. Not trying to hide - it's just a screen name.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Jason - when you first signed up you didn't use your real name. I remember why you changed it, but why didn't you use your real name at first?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Jason - You missed my point or I failed to explain it correctly.

Whether the person you present on th forum is real or fake it has little to do with what you call yourself and everything to do with your character........or the character you are (wink)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    I disagree. Its easy to be fake online, and never have to be accountable for what you say. Its almost harder to be real online

While there is a certain degree of anonymity, the real personality of an individual can come out online because there are no inhibitions for your actions, this is true. So which is real? The individual without the inhibitions present of being face to face or the individual revealed in all their glory, sans name and address?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Blog Entries

FVR are my initials. If you want my real name, work for it. It's really not that hard, hit a few keys and BAM! You can call me on my cell.

I added the initial V many years ago because I did not want anyone confusing me and my piece of sheot father.

I am not trying to slam anyone...I'm just curious. I never think of you Crash as being fictitious....with over 8,000 posts your a consistent prescence here.

My original screenname was from an old email address. I just went by it on a couple of message boards. I rarely frequent those forums anymore, though. But, even under my old name, I still used a similar signature line that basically linked right to me.

My point is not to call people out. Its just to say, that this is a great forum, because their are a lot of posters that are frequent, regular, cosistent contributors which adds to a sense of community. As opposed to some other forums that basically are anonomous slam fests.

But, I am still curious why some people remain fairly anonomous and never really get out of their onscreen personea

If you read the first two lines of my original post, you'll see I am not slamming this forums members.... I said what I like about this forums is how people are for the most part real.

I figure if a person has several hundred, or several thousand posts, they are for real. Other forums I've visited, there seems to be alot of anonomity and just fly-by posters that may have a couple of differnet identities.
    Last edited by DOGMAN; 02-27-2009 at 10:56 PM.

We dont use real names because we want something different. Dan is alot more boring than Okwaho, dont you agree?

I didn't take your question as trying to slam or an attempt to call anybody out. The reason I asked you about your original screen name, and your answer probably provide a similar reason for many. For me, it's a screen name I have used elsewhere and just continued it here. No hidden or nefarious reasons. For some, I imagine it is to keep their anonymity. For some it may be an attempt to create a certain persona that they want portrayed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I find handles mildly ridiculous, and wherever possible try to get people's first names..

I think it just started on message boards and PC gaming where names were getting spoken for very quickly, and people wanted to get a little creative after "Rick123456" got taken..

That's my theory..

And after that it just became taken for granted as standard practice, and people started using the same names for different forums, even if they weren't taken, just to keep things simple..

I have no problem with it, but again, I'll ask someone their real first name rather than continue to call them "Fishalicious" or "Madhammer69".. LOL

Nell is my name,or rather a shortened version of it.Just my preference,since I do not think I am old enough to be called Nellie yet.

And I was going by Nell long before the movie came out.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I'd like to change my name to "madhammer 69"...not my screen name. But, my real name!

Blog Entries

Cool Hi Jason!

My real name is Rick, & I'm an alcohol....whoops, wrong meeting. Actually my 1st name IS Rick, as I've said on here over & over again. My last name was a gift from my Polish Foster Father & every time I spell it, the folks seeing it & I take turns pronouncing it for about a half hour, then I get a few Polack jokes to add to my ongoing collection! I belong to both a Christian leader's forum, where I use a different screen name, though they all know me there; & a Magician's Forum, where I use my stage name. When I got the "Pass-around knife" from Beo, I PM'd him my full name & address, the same with Gray Wolf when I filled out the mailing label. Here's a thought though! When Otay was banned, he posted all of Chris' info on this site telling his brother spammers to "go get him"! We do get some nut-cases on here, & unless you really want to find out if you can legally blow an intruder away you might not want to share sensitive info. Just my thoughts.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi Jason! (is that really your name?) My name is Jen. (which it is, really, why would I lie?...or is it? Maybe my parents lied...) Any how, I am just pulling your tail! My name IS Jen (we think), however If you were to ask Nell, she could tell you that I have PM'd her both my cell # and my home #. However, the house # is my Uncles, and the cell # is from a pay-as-you-go phone that i bought at Wallyworld for $30.00. So even then you don't really know who I am. I can post under my full name, but you won't know if I really am using my name or something I pulled out from under a rock. I am Jen, though...maybe... Jennifer Lynn Lashua. ::
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous