Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foraging for Wild Mushrooms

Default Foraging for Wild Mushrooms

I live in northeast Kansas. Does anyone know if this is a good place to forage for mushrooms? I have thought this might be a useful hobby, but I didn't want to invest in books if I don't live in a good reigon for mushroom hunging. Any advice would be appreciated!
    "advertising has us chasing clothes and cars, working jobs we hate to buy stuff we don't need..." Tyler Durden

http://www.lifeunplugged.net

Mushrooms in Kansas? You bet.

Experts have identified about 1,000 species of mushrooms in Kansas but think many others have yet to be discovered.
    The Kaw Valley Mycological Society, founded in 1986, has a Web site where you can find information about mushrooms. The site is http://www.sunflower.com/~pilott29/.
    "A Guide to Kansas Mushrooms" by Bruce Horn, Richard Kay and Dean Abel has information, pictures, recipes and a guide for mushroom hunting.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_n14903223

While you're out foraging, you'll probably come across the Introduction Section where you can tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by offgridbrandon View Post
    I live in northeast Kansas. Does anyone know if this is a good place to forage for mushrooms? I have thought this might be a useful hobby, but I didn't want to invest in books if I don't live in a good reigon for mushroom hunging. Any advice would be appreciated!
    How convenient -- about this time last year I broke the news that the Morel's were out and ready to be harvested in the Kansas region.

It is definitely worth investing in a book. There are plenty of mushrooms around here (Kansas).

Wait a minute. Morels in February? Uh, okay.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'd be more apt to hook up with a local mushroom enthusiast to learn the ropes. The one course I had in college on the non-vascular plant 'things' taught me that far too many bad mushrooms look like good ones. Have a seasoned hunter show you if you can.

Blog Entries

Foraging for mushrooms gives a whole meaning of its own to "Picking your poison"

I wouldn't eat wild mushrooms if I were starving to death!
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I do a lot of shrooming. 4 of these a food, 3 will kill you in no time, most of the rest will make you sick ……… and 2 of them will get you really stoned
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClayPick View Post
    .... 4 of these are food, ……… and 2 of them will get you really stoned
    Which ones?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

nearly all regions are good regions for mushroom hunting.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

i ate Gomphus floccosus once, it gave me serious indigestion and gas that didn no end for several hours. i'd rate it as almost indigestible, though i'm such some methods of cooking would render it good. the flavor was much like Cantharellus.

i don't know if i'd consider the effects of the the Muscimol containing Amanitas as being 'stoned', more like profoundly drunk with the hangover comming early.

is that a large entoloma over on the left?

that group of Amanitas on the far right looks like a rough neighborhood.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I’m not big on the real names but it might even be an old field blewit. I collect them for my wife’s friend who makes ceramic reproductions of wild mushrooms. I’m not big on catching a buzz on fungi either. Psilocybe Semilanceata grows here in the fall and people tell me that it’s just plain nasty! Joking aside, when it comes to mushroom you’ve got to learn from someone who really knows their stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Wait a minute. Morels in February? Uh, okay.
    I did use the key-word "about" which in my mind gives me a 2 month leeway. They should start showing up towards the end of March so, for me "about this time" is adequate.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClayPick View Post
    I do a lot of shrooming. 4 of these a food, 3 will kill you in no time, most of the rest will make you sick ……… and 2 of them will get you really stoned
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    That blewit looks awsome... i also like the heliotropicus nice and purple
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Ahem ahem...

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forage/

One of you Mushroom-ninjas should go post some pictures/info on all that.

Yes please do so!! i have no idea what any of those 'shrooms are, but I would assume the brighter the color the more poisonous. then again, I know that some of the poisonous mushrooms are white... I am not eating any mushrooms unless i buy them myself at the grocery store!!
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laughing beetle View Post
    Yes please do so!! i have no idea what any of those 'shrooms are, but I would assume the brighter the color the more poisonous. then again, I know that some of the poisonous mushrooms are white... I am not eating any mushrooms unless i buy them myself at the grocery store!!
    some of them are poisonous, the ones with the bulbs on the ends.those are Aminitas, the orange cap and bulb is agricus aminita(fly agaric) however the chantrelle, the king bolete, the blewit, the coral,the hedge hog,and the orange jelly in this picture are all good, just be careful. the only edible Aminita is the cesar Aminita, which was not in the picture.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Blog Entries

All I know is even in a nation of VETERAN mushroom pickers, Ukraine (pop. of only 50 million), approx. 100 people die annually from mushroom poisoning, and that's only the confirmed cases..

This is a nation that's had it's share of famines, believe me, and picking mushrooms has often been
    about SURVIVAL, not hobby..

And the skills are passed down from generation to generation - RELIGIOUSLY..

If THESE guys can make fatal mistakes in this regard.. I'll pay the $5 for the ones in the supermarket, thanks..
    Last edited by dougz; 02-26-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougz View Post
    All I know is even in a nation of VETERAN mushroom pickers, Ukraine (pop. of only 50 million), 100 people die annually from mushroom poisoning, and that's only the confirmed cases..

This is a nation that's had it's share of famines, believe me, and picking mushrooms has often been about SURVIVAL, not hobby..

And the skills are passed down from generation to generation - RELIGIOUSLY..

If THESE guys can make fatal mistakes in this regard.. I'll pay the $5 for the ones in the supermarket, thanks..
    Amen to that!!
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

you are not going to get good mushrooms for 5 bucks .morels are 20.00 a pound
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Grundle - As Crash would, "If it works for you......."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.