Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh water fish vs. Ocean fish

Default Fresh water fish vs. Ocean fish

Around where I live,people go fishing alot,mostly now days for the sport as many claim they do not like the taste of fresh water fish,personally,I love freshwater fish,as that is what I grew up eating,although with uncles living in Florida,several times a year we were treated to ocean catch as well.

I never noticed a difference in the taste,and I guess it's all in the method of preperation.

Is there really a difference in the taste of the fish?
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I personally cant tell the difference,fried or baked,but Im sure others can.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairman View Post
    I personally cant tell the difference,fried or baked,but Im sure others can.
    Im with you, I cant tell the diff, I eat both about the same amount, The only diff. I can tell is everybody has there own way of cooking it and the fish will taste a little diff, based on what is done to it, I love the fishy.

While I do notice differences in flavors between different fish (salmon does not taste the same as grouper) I'm with you on the difference between saltwater and freshwater fish.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I couldn't tell the difference either
    For lots of wilderness survival, visit www.surviveinnature.com!

I eat both and can tell can't tell the difference between the fresh and salt water.

Hey TDG = how about swimming over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. You can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14 Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Have no idea what happened in last post, but can not tell the difference...opps.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    Have no idea what happened in last post, but can not tell the difference...opps.
    Was just wondering if you hadn't made up your mind yet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    LOL Riverrat,don't feel bad,this confuses me too

Crash,salmon is definately one I have to be in the mood for to eat,it has a taste decidedly on it's own,and I have not found a way to tame that taste down,ordered it several different ways at restaurants even and no matter how it was fixed,it was still salmon,other than that,I have not had fish that I did not care for,in my opinion,it's all good.

I do understand people releasing them from streams,rivers and ponds that have been contaminated,but where I am that currently is not an issue.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Nell - my wife has a recipe for salmon that you might like. I'll see if I can find it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well - it seems that it wasn't a particular recipe, but rather how she cooked it. Popped it in the micro wave for 2 minutes.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Around where I live,people go fishing alot,mostly now days for the sport as many claim they do not like the taste of fresh water fish,personally,I love freshwater fish,as that is what I grew up eating,although with uncles living in Florida,several times a year we were treated to ocean catch as well.

I never noticed a difference in the taste,and I guess it's all in the method of preperation.

Is there really a difference in the taste of the fish?
    Haven't noticed any difference between Lake Superior salmon and Alaska salmon.

I have about 45 pounds of salmon in the freezer. Roughly half of it from Lake Superior, and the other half from Alaska. All of it is from 2008, late summer/early autumn. Maybe a taste test is in order.

Certainly is a lot of difference between mud lake bass I've caught in western Minnesota and the cold water rock bottom lake bass I catch locally. I once tried to eat bass out of a western mud bottom lake. It smelled so bad I couldn't even try a bite. Northern bronze back (small mouth), on the other hand, is so good - it may well be my favorite eating fish.

Make that "freshwater" fish. One thing you don't have in fresh water is halibut. I would kill for fresh-caught halibut.
    Last edited by RBB; 01-11-2009 at 01:37 PM.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

I think they are both good. But since I live only in a fresh water area, the fish I catch are all fresh water. We only occasionally buy ocean fish, if my wife has a recipe to try. My favorite is red snapper.

yeah, i don't so much find a difference [nor a need to see a difference] between freshwater and ocean fish, as between one type of fish and another. the flavors of fish, though often with similar components, are quite variable.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

For me any saltwater fish with white meat is good to go. Mackerel, mahi mahi and other darker fleshed fish are just too gamey. Fresh water bream, crappie(the best) and small catfish I find tasty. Bass are o.k., like RBB said smallmouth better than largemouth. I,d eat salmon any day. The best fish I ever ate was on a fishing trip in the Gulf of Mexico. We landed about a 20 pound grouper and the first mate cut a big hunk out of the side, put it on a plate with a slab of butter and a little seasoning salt and cooked it in the microwave for one minute. Can't get any fresher than that.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

I love fish,fresh water or salt

be ware. i read a site an google, that said 27%of fish were mislabaled to a higher price..dna test showed this..as most fish taste the same, its easey to switch..buy freash watch the fish monger slice and dice ur fish.. buy whole if u can freash fish have no oder and clear eyes..

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Some salt water is OK but we used to pull a lot of blues out of Chesapeake Bay and I thought they had too much of a "fishy" taste for me. One other kick, any fish that bleeds like a stuck pig and can snap your finger off, forget 'em. Those things are too "toothy" for me.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

ah do i miss bluefish. i'd love to return to Virginia some day. i found it almost mild, and it was eaten the same day as caught, but i must also say that i love oily/strong flavored fish. i used to fish pacifica peir on the san francisco peninsula, for salmon, striper or sharks on the big rod and would sometimes pass the time with a mackarel rig catching anchovie and frying them up as i fished.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.