Thread: Soap fern????

Default Soap fern????

Several months ago a co-worker told me about a fern that she use to make lather from when she was a child living in east Tennessee. In all my plant books I have not found any mention about a fern that does this. I found some fern this past summer but it did not produce a lather. I have found the bouncing bet or soapwort growing in my yard. I am not that impressed with the amount of lather that it produces. Do any of you have experience with a fern that produces a soapy sudsy lather?

Dont know of the fern your co-worker is talking about, But agave leaves will soap up a bit.

Not sure about soap ferns,but in California,there is a "soap plant" known also as Amole,that the western Indians used :

http://www.perspective.com/nature/pl...oap-plant.html
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I have 4 books on edible and medicinal plants. I will see if I can find it for you. If I do, I will let you know.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Rabbits fear my name.....

Plantain and meadowsweet make good soaps...

THese plants are supposed to be good lathering plants,the bouncing bet previously mentioned as well as clemitis and yucca.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Thanks for everyones response. We have yucca here in Tennessee but no agave or clemitis. I check the USDA.gov site to find out what grows here but could not find clemitis by the common or scientific names is there another name for this plant?

Quote Originally Posted by adalel View Post
    Thanks for everyones response. We have yucca here in Tennessee but no agave or clemitis. I check the USDA.gov site to find out what grows here but could not find clemitis by the common or scientific names is there another name for this plant?
    I believe it's spelled clematis. Try this site http://www.homeofclematis.net/ Grows wild as well as planted for ornamentals around here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Climatis? Well I'll be. I didn't know that. I have a ton of that in my yard. I'll have to do some experimenting this spring. Thanks, Nell!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

While investigating buckeye's as a fishing method (yes, I knows it be illegalz) I found this that may be relevant;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapindus

Soapberry can refer to:

* Plants in the genus Sapindus, native to warm temperate to tropical regions in both the Old World and the New World. The berries of these plants contain a natural, low-sudsing detergent called saponin.
    * Canada Buffaloberry (Shepherdia canadensis) is also known as "soapberry" and is native to North America. This shrub bears bitter yet edible red berries.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.