Thread: The coolest game bird trap

Default The coolest game bird trap

Just found this on another forum and was very intreged by it. I have never done this and apologize if this has been posted here before.

Hunting game birds with a dixie cup

That's right, one of those little cups you get to rinse your mouth out in the dentists office with. (other paper cups or even Styrofoam cups can work too, but not as well.)

First add a small amount of bird seed/chicken feed (whatever you have on hand they'll find palatable) to the bottom of the cup. Next rub a small amount of Vaseline (or non menthol chap-stick) around the inside rim.

Now go out in the woods and place this in the area pheasants, partridge, or other game birds frequent; then walk away.

Come back later on that day and you'll find you have a bird standing with a dixie cup over it head waiting patiently to be collected and slaughtered. (don't wait too long to check on the trap however, as the bird is an easy meal for foxes, dogs and other predators.

How does this work? The bird eats the seed at the bottom of the cup, and when it goes to pick it's head back up the vaseline makes the cup stick to the back of the feathers on its head and come to rest covering it's head & eyes. With the birds eyes covered it simply stands there, too stupid to move.

(do be aware however that if the area is extremely windy the cup can be blown over or otherwise moved form it's normal upright position ruining the trap.)

Blog Entries

In that case, you could probably catch my ex-wife (not that you'd want to) with a 5 gallon bucket with a few Godiva chocolates on the bottom.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

a little honey on inside edge works well also .
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    In that case, you could probably catch my ex-wife (not that you'd want to) with a 5 gallon bucket with a few Godiva chocolates on the bottom.
    Thats funny stuff.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Thats funny stuff.
    And it's true!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

rumor has it that you can catch turkeys with an old bed spring.
    From what i hear you throw some feed inside the coils and the turkeys head gets stuck.
    But this is just hear say cause that type of trapping is a NO-NO.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by skunkkiller View Post
    a little honey on inside edge works well also .
    For game birds or Ken's Exwife.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I use an empty paint can, a piece of screen and two kitchen magnets. on the under side of the lid attach the circular piece of screen with the magnets. bait the screen . birds fall in cant come out.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis