Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Fire Starter

Default Home Made Fire Starter

Vthompson asked in a thread if anybody made fire starters from sawdust and wax. So, here's a batch I made today.

Here are some home made fire starters. They are simple to make and work very well. There are similar commercial ones available, but if you would rather make your own…

The materials I used were sawdust, dryer lint, wax, cardboard egg carton. You will also need a way to melt your wax. I prefer to use a double boiler method and a little camp stove. Some people like to use the microwave, but in order to maintain marital bliss I am relegated to my work shop.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I use a large block of wax that I have, but if you save wax from your candles that works great. Do not heat the wax directly over your stove. The double boiler method will keep you from burning down your house, garage, work shop, etc.

After you pour some wax in the molds stir it up a bit and then tamp it down. Note that on the open section of the carton I just poured wax on a large pile of saw dust.

When you cut the egg carton to separate the fire starters, leave the cup in tact and leave an edge that can be used as a wick (makes lighting easier). For the larger block, just cut them to the size you want. Experiment with it so you will have an idea on how long they will burn. Depending on how tightly you pack them it will change the burn time.

Here I have lit the edge of one of the egg cups and the corner of one of the pieces I cut from the block.

At five minutes.

At 15 minutes.

At 25 minutes.

The smaller piece went out shortly after this pic was taken. The larger piece went out at about 37 minutes. In damp conditions that should be long enough to get your fire going. Or you could use one to heat water if you were making a quick stop and wanted some coffee.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Great post as allways Man those things realy burn a long time. Is there a bid dif. between the sawdust ones and the lint fire starters?

Oh wow!! Awesome idea Crash!! Thanks!! Now I have to go play with some wax and tinder later!!

Thanks for the post and the pictures Crash, I have not been able to do that yet, but I plan to.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Runs With Beer View Post
    Great post as allways Man those things realy burn a long time. Is there a bid dif. between the sawdust ones and the lint fire starters?
    Not really. Anything that will burn works. I've used debris from the chainsaw before. For the longer burn time I've found that compacting them as much as possible helps.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nice, good visual aid for us newbies . Speaking of coffee,,,, gotta go
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Great post, Crash!

Beats what my kids do. They use charcoal lighter fluid to get the fire pit in the back yard going. Seems the old fashioned way of a little paper and kindling is just too slow for them.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Great post thanks for the time and effort to share.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Crash,
    Good post with visual assistance!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Great post Crash! Thanks.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

You know, you really are pretty messy but I have to give this post a giant thumbs up!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice post Crash. I have done the same thing with Dryer lint but I have never thought of using saw dust. Thanks
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...rn_.html?cat=3

The more you know the less you need.

Great job Crash. Good pics too!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

I've made a similar version of these in Brazil but not as fire starters. When I camp up in the mountains there isn't any fuel up there to burn. Conditions are very erratic up there, it can be bright and sunny one minute and then windy and foggy the next. In rainy season you can get pummeled with driving rain and dense fog. During dry season it can be raw cold, foggy, and windy or bright clear and cold enough to form skim ice on water. There are very few trees, about the only thing to burn up there is grass and lichen.

When camping up there I use these egg carton/wax/sawdust "fire starters" as stove fuel with my US Army canteen cup and stove sleeve. Once they get going a large* one will boil a canteen cup of water if sheltered from the wind. In Brazil we also have quail eggs that come in a similar carton of 30 eggs and I have made a smaller version with these. I carry both. Normally I'll start things off with a large one and then pop a smaller one or two in if it needs to burn longer. I just plan how many meals I need to cook for and pack accordingly with a few extras.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Thanks Crash good job. Nice layout with pictures. But we want a
    full 30 min. video with sound!!
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

Wow! I liked the visual. Wish more Visuals came with the how-to. I understand the pictures.
    "Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.”

— Thoreau

Here's a very similar concept. I made a bunch of these for my pack. The only thing I did different was that I dipped them in wax a few more times than he did.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...e-fire-sticks/

Quote Originally Posted by malevolus View Post
    Here's a very similar concept. I made a bunch of these for my pack. The only thing I did different was that I dipped them in wax a few more times than he did.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...e-fire-sticks/
    Those work very well. The owner of that site is a member here, and I'm sure appreciates your review. Hey, how about burning on over to the Introduction Section and tell us about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for the pictures, Crash. This seems like a good project for my son and I to do. He's 8 and I act like I'm 8.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

This is exactly what I had in mind great post Crash! These will be along on my next trip!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson