Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your other hobbies?

And I removed you. You are in need of some serious counselling.

Whew! Now that that's over,

recently I've been restricted in my activities and it sucks. But I still can bike and swim. Swimming really helps. Doing some woodworking and leather stuff.

Wow...I go out for a few hours and that happens. Okay.

madmax...swimming's good. Decent exercise while at the same time easy on the knees.

What kind of woodworking?

Right now collapsable chairs for rendezvous' and general outdoorsy stuff. I'm working with pine now because it's light, cheap (ish), and easy to work. When I get the size right I'll do a couple in a hard wood. I have a stave for a longbow ready to shape too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Wow. I just stepped away for a moment to wind my clock and when I come back, this happens. ....I knew when he got here it wouldnt be for long. I guess he was too old to toss around too much. He was the only member I ever put on my ignore list.

I think it was his avatar that creeped me out more than his posts.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    Wow. I just stepped away for a moment to wind my clock and when I come back, this happens. ....I knew when he got here it wouldnt be for long. I guess he was too old to toss around too much. He was the only member I ever put on my ignore list.

I think it was his avatar that creeped me out more than his posts.
    Yeah, I was waiting on the tick tock......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Right now collapsable chairs for rendezvous' and general outdoorsy stuff. I'm working with pine now because it's light, cheap (ish), and easy to work. When I get the size right I'll do a couple in a hard wood. I have a stave for a longbow ready to shape too.
    nice. What sort of wood are you using for the longbow stave?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My only comment is that you guys waited 5 months too long!

I don't know why anyone would call this a quick exit.

Apparently this guy's dive bell had a crack in it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    nice. What sort of wood are you using for the longbow stave?
    Locust. From our land in NC. I also have a hickory stave from there. I have been waiting to build a trad foot vise to carve them with an old rescued drawknife. A good friend has built many and I can count on him to give me advise on the bows. I want a light pull on the first one to get back into the groove. All my recurves are 55 lbs. Too much nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Apparently a dive bell with internet.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Actually, it read absolutely not as a joke. I thought you might be a member of PITA or something. You seem to be very critical of anyone who hasn't had your life experience and you elevate your own life experience above all others. I could overlook it if you had Aspergers or some such but, really.

I've spoke to many service men who said that they served with no other ideals than, "This was my job and I got paid for it. I did a good job and am satisfied." You're not an item of worship. I've given up my own advantages in order to help other get their lives started up or started back up. There are, I don't know how many, people alive today because I didn't buy the car I wanted. I worked for a public organization so money wasn't in the picture. Now I'm a retired person with a tiny pension and social security. I have no regrets. I would tell the people we were placing in service positions that their jobs were important. Their work meant that to people working directly with others didn't have to be distracted by doing other things. Their work was as important as ours.

Your work was stressful. I worked on a lay barge. Take your mind off what you're doing out there and you lose an arm, break a rib, burn one side of your face off, or die. I saw most of it. I almost died myself several times. You saw people die - I've lost friends to "the fight". You fought for people - I've been doing that most of my life. And most other people do the same.

I didn't know my father as "Sarge"; that phase of his life was long over before I came along. But he fought like a tiger to get his family along in very hard times. I realize now what an overprivileged ingrate I was as a kid. I didn't realize what hard times we did come through until I grew up. I guess that's part of what growing up is.

C. S Lewis wrote that hell was not for "sinners" but for those who had become their sin - who had stopped becoming human and had become their passion. I used to address people in a local Multiple Sclerosis support group and I warned them not to become so absorbed in multiple sclerosis advocacy that they ceased to be human - not to be a multiple sclerotic instead of being a human.

When a person stops being a person and becomes a veteran, that's their sin.

M118LR, you should be careful.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Oops. I missed the last page. Ya'll can remove the last post if you want. Or, maybe, you know, philosophy.....
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Locust? I never would have thought! This place is full of locust and I have a couple of House brothers into archery. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

My sentiments exactly........
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Oops. I missed the last page. Ya'll can remove the last post if you want. Or, maybe, you know, philosophy.....
    I think it needs to stay...Very well said.

Tried to rep you, but have to spread it around.

Oh Yeah, What else were we talking about.....Trolls? ....hobbies... and bows?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

And all that in one thread. Typical.

I snorted at the cracked diving bell comment. Very good.

Actually, I just dropped a hobby. Yep, my last endurance hike. It's not the pain and the exhaustion, or smelling like ammonia. I want to start doing more technical hikes and I've found out that I actually can haul a loaded backpack. And some of the technical hikes are as grueling as the endurance hikes. By the way, if you ever visit Colorado, Waterton Canyon is spectacular.

Technical hikes/climbs are my favorite.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Oh yeah. Rock climbing is my thing.

I do life long learning. My kind of technical hike involves a lot of measuring and photography equipment. This year I'll be looking at the psychology, philosophy, parapsychology, and religion of the area and blogging about it. I advocate for active, life long learning.

I have a lot of hobbies, most of them expensive. Aside from hiking and camping, and cooking since I'm a chef, I am very into music/audio and movies. Sharpening is also a hobby of mine, and I am a big gun nut.