Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your other hobbies?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, I'm living that. So are others.
    Yep. That's the reason I'm a fiddle player.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

ah well now I feel like an idiot LMFAO!
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

No need to feel bad, man....at least you are looking ahead.....
    And judging by you projects, not letting grass grow under your feet.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I love picking bluegrass as much as I love prepping. My favorite three long guns are a DPMS AR-15, a Martin D-28, and a Stelling Bellflower.

Quote Originally Posted by Awanita View Post
    Attachment 10643Been southpawing it all my life. The hardest intrument for me is the 5 string, working aroud the drone string on the neck it tough. Started playing when I was 7. So 44 years I have learned to take a few shortcuts. lol.
    I've been teaching that Engine of Screeching Death for over 40 years. Had you ever thought of getting a left-handed model? I know you can't just turn it upside down like a guitar, but they are available, LOL!

Cool! Another bluegrasser! Never let it die!
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I play with a concertina every now and then, but it's hard to get in any practice. For one thing, it makes the dog howl like he's being beaten! I also play board games, monopoly, shogi, chess and occasionally dominoes. I like to cook. Right now I'm trying to make the perfect pizza sauce, drop biscuits and noodles. The first time I ever cooked for people was when I got invited to a friends barbecue, but for whatever stupid reason, there were no barbecue sauces or rubs! So, we had a contest to see who could come up with the best sauce with whatever the heck you could find in their kitchen. I don't remember who won, but one of the things that stuck in my head was when one of the judges said to me "This sauce is pretty good. It's like you put some sort of addictive substance in it." To which, I replied "I did." I got the stink eye, but then I explained that I used cooking sherry.

My for sure hobbies are hunt and fish. My others are kinda sporadic, by need, seasonal and so on but include leather work (mainly gun/shooting and knife but also saddle and tack), woodworking, dobro guitar, have made a few knives, putting together a parts list to give muzzle loader building a try.

relearning the art of sewing. I have not used a sewing machine since 1986 after an accident nearly caused me my right arm. Now 30 years later, my boyfriend bought me a sewing machine for Christmas since I had been wanting one to be able to make clothes and also quilt. The stipulation of getting the sewing machine, was I had to make him some seat covers for his 1964 Ford Galaxy, done and done. Doesn't look half bad. Have also made an apron for one granddaughter, and have another cut out, just need to get it sewn together.
    I have also been getting ready to go back to school for my Bachelors degree, Considered going for a nursing degree.But I know that I can not stand enough, or meet the lifting criteria for nursing, but there are other jobs that I could do if I had the degree that would allow me to work from home. But the knowledge would be worth it, and the work from home jobs pay way better. Decisions decisions.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I've taken up guitar, if not really made any progress owing to a congenital condition I have. Stupid-fingers I think it's called. Still play around with electrons and photons as much as possible.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned

Would it sound crazy if I took up swapping tales with other Veterans on the internet forums, now that I've reached an advanced age?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I kill things.
    I have to admit that I didn't mean to offend. So I'll retract my my statement.
    Last edited by M118LR; 01-27-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    Would it sound crazy if I took up swapping tales with other Veterans on the internet forums, now that I've reached an advanced age?
    Well, here ya go.....go pro?....LOL
    I'm sure you can come up with something?

http://burlingtonliarsclub.com/
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have to admit that I acquiesced to the suffrage of your loved ones, (due to your service in the silent service) But Crash, you ain't spent a moment of your time killing things of consequence. You never left the safety of the steel tube that gave you 4 meals a day and a dry rack in all the days of your service. Be real, life got so much so better when I hot bunked with a "Bubble head" that I don't want to share those experiences. So did you want to share how many six or eight legged creatures you decided to "KILL".

Want to admit that you sent folks like me out of the tubes to brace the two legged creatures that gave you nightmares? Just be real! Put Badass behind you. JMHO.
    You really need to get a life. Seriously! Please seek help at the local VA.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I don't think running the spreader across the yard, killing 6 and 8 legged critters, requires help at the local VA. But I'll ask them the next time I'm there. Just remember to rotate with a different pesticide each time you do the yard. If you use the same one over and over it's not as effective.

A couple of years ago we got two pups. Litter mates. They are so funny. Always happy. They sure like to go for car rides. We take them to Dairy Queen for pup cups or Arby's for sliders.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You really need to get a life. Seriously! Please seek help at the local VA.
    Has the VA developed a cure for being an a$$hat?

I doubt they will do anything about a non-service related pre-existing condition.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't think running the spreader across the yard, killing 6 and 8 legged critters, requires help at the local VA. But I'll ask them the next time I'm there. Just remember to rotate with a different pesticide each time you do the yard. If you use the same one over and over it's not as effective.
    You can downplay it as much as you want. YOU take a joke I made eight years ago and turn it into denigrating my military service because it was different than yours. Your continual theme of you being an elite "frogman" and the rest of us mere mortals just serve at your pleasure has grown tiresome. You told me not too long ago that you were leaving this forum because it was not for you. I do believe you may have been right in that assessment.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-27-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think your profile pic should have been a slug.
    Last edited by nell67; 01-27-2017 at 01:58 PM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned

Had I realized that my poor attempt to poke fun at the "Kill Things" would be taken in such a bad light, I wouldn't have posted it. It seems readily apparent to me , that "Killing Things" isn't a hobby unless it's dealing with insects in the yard. I'm sorry that I rubbed folks the wrong way, so I have removed my upsetting comment.