Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What are your other hobbies?

I would have asked for a copy of it..... to frame and hang up....when I got out of jail......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

After a bad wreck I promised the family no more motorcycles. I have kept that promise for decades. But I do catch myself fondly caressing friends' Harleys (Yes it makes them uncomfortable) and gaping in fear and trepidation at crotch rockets. I keep letting the thought that a street legal dirt bike wouldn't be breaking my promise. Typical addict rationalization.

Last one was an Enduro....just a little play bike.
    Jumps are higher, landing are harder yet if you don't hit it right....and recovery time is longer.

Done with bikes.

Anything over 60 will probably kill you, so why not go out with a bang............LOL You guys sound like the girls, that things going to kill you!!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

Over 60 I'm just more specific. I want to do the things I really want to do. I still do plenty that might kill me.

I had a motorcycle for about two months until I figured out that I couldn't afford both a motorcycle and a van, and I needed something I could sleep in, so I let go of the motorcycle. While I was getting my coordination adjusted, I ran down an embankment into a blackberry patch. I didn't lay her down. It was a blast!
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Sport bikes don't intimidate me...except some who ride them do...can handle them fine, but I don't really like them. Speed, stunts, hotrodding, and the newest fastest thing isn't why I ride. Or did, that is - been a while since I had me a horse. But what I like is being more in touch with the environment through which I'm traveling - a convertible or rolling down a window doesn't do it. As well as how you're more part of your machine physically in order to operate it, instead of just sitting in a seat with a finger on a steering wheel and a foot on a pedal. And I have to have something with some momentum and weight. That usually comes with a big motor and power, but that's not the point with me. I want 80 to not be some struggle for my horse, and power there at any speed to move if I need to. But as a not-big guy with a low crotch who wants to have both heels on the ground when sitting still, but also not slouched forward to hold the handle bars, that all makes it a challenge to find what's right for me. A rebel 250 just won't do it is all. It's a spiritual thing...hehe...
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I collect robots in all shapes and sizes. Like Radio Controlled ones, action figures, t-shirts, coffe mugs with robots and... You name it. Gonna get my fourth robot tattoo soon.
    Ursäkta min Engelska

Quote Originally Posted by hajta View Post
    I collect robots in all shapes and sizes. Like Radio Controlled ones, action figures, t-shirts, coffe mugs with robots and... You name it. Gonna get my fourth robot tattoo soon.
    hajita, I'm pretty sure that is a unique hobby for the folks on this forum. Not tattoos, robots. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    hajita, I'm pretty sure that is a unique hobby for the folks on this forum. Not tattoos, robots. lol.
    Interesting though.....

I like "Minions".....so robots are not all that far out.

Just remember that R2D2 is the best robot ever. A robot's robot - not trying to be a humanoid, but what a robot would be if it were a robot. Speaks it's own language, a robot's language. And can communicate with computers, naturally. Various mechanical gadgets within it's body. Etc. Yet the character of R2D2 succeeded in having personality, emotion, and even understood by movie-goers despite it's robot-language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLmOteqmDYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBHgh8VXzt0

And could probably win History Channel's Alone. Hehe.

But have you collected one of these?

Last edited by WalkingTree; 10-14-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I have mk 1, 2 and 3 of the Jaegers. The Russian MK-1 is my favourite. It's like what it would be like if Ivan Drago had a baby with a T-34. R2D2 is awesome. Optimus Prime is what started it for me as a kid.
    Ursäkta min Engelska

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewnOK View Post
    We all love predicting TEOTWAWKI but what are your other hobbies?
    My hobby is playing the fiddle (violin).
    My other hobby is making paper crafts like origami.

Blacksmithing, woodturning, machining, welding, rc airplanes, woodworking, hunting, camping (backpack), etc. too soon old..too late smart.

My hobby is posting on survival-type forums and acting like I know what I'm talking about.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    My hobby is posting on survival-type forums and acting like I know what I'm talking about.

LOL....I hear ya....
    I just get a kick out of some posters that "parrot" other forums, make You Tubes, blogs,streaming sites, ...then try to make it sound they know what they are talking about.

"Experienced" posters/posts didn't have that advantage....they had books magazines, fathers, grandfathers, neighbor., jobs military...and friends that actually went "Out on adventures"

These posting are mostly past experiences, or first hand knowledge....and yeah, maybe 'enhanced" a bit over time....but mostly dead on.
    Those the do...will get that right off.

The "reviews" back then were not a "You tube"....."I just bought this gonna review it, so....First we open the package"

THe experienced.... in the past reviewed their stuff but what they could find, borrow, get for Christmas, use Dad's....whatever.

All that is leading up to the hobby of "Let's sort the BS from reality" of these discussions.......even that gets boring as it doesn't take long to tell who been there and done that...and who in full of it.
    I does not take long to tell the difference.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

OH yea! You-tube reviews.

Don't you just love to pull up a review of some item you are contemplating for purchase and they send you to a You-tube link and you wade through the adds, then skip the intro add video and it is some moron "un-boxing" the item and talking like the teacher you always hated in school at that stupid monotone, and during the first boring sentence he speaks he states that he has not fired the gun yet, or used the knife, or fired up the stove and does not know when he will get to because he is real busy.

If he is that busy he needs to reallocate his time and, instead of posting You-tube videos, go to the range, or go out in the back yard and see if the stove works, or go into the kitchen and see if the zombie killer knife will slice a tomato.

Even though the internet has almost destroyed the hard copy gun magazine industry it has not replaced it. I do not remember ever reading a write up of a new product in Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, or American Handguner where, Skeeter, Massad, Elmer Keith, Charles Askins or Townsed Wheland started the article with the worlds, "I have not fired this gun but it looks good so I think it would probably work!"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Living life like a country song
    Semper Paratus

I will commend inexperienced posters of any age, for trying stuff,... we all did learning as we went and making mistakes.....You have to.
    Some of the best lessons start with," Well I never do this again.....but......"

You have to keep swinging till you starting hitting the ball....I get that...does show interest and some ambition......but you really need to sift thru a lot to frogs before you find the princess.

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    Living life like a country song
    So true. I’ve never heard it that way. Bunch of fakers. Lol

About 15 years ago I lived at an apartment complex in Fort Worth, TX. It amazed me at the guys who lived at the same complex and drove a dually and wore a big hat. Bunch of fakers.