Thread: Trout Fishing

Default Trout Fishing

I am starting to get the itch to head into the mountains and doing some trout fishing. I contacted the DNR the first of the week about camping and they aren't allowing it until the first of April sometime. They said that it was due to the weather. Bummer.
    I suppose that if I want to try fishing before then, I will have to make a day trip out of it. Is anyone else getting the fever?
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by vthompson View Post
    I am starting to get the itch to head into the mountains and doing some trout fishing. I contacted the DNR the first of the week about camping and they aren't allowing it until the first of April sometime. They said that it was due to the weather. Bummer.
    I suppose that if I want to try fishing before then, I will have to make a day trip out of it. Is anyone else getting the fever?
    Minnesota has two native species of trout, brook trout and lake trout. We also have browns and rainbows, transplanted in the late 1800s - and splake, which are a cross between a brook trout and a lake trout.

I've been catching some lake trout through the ice this winter, but brook trout is my passion. The streams I fish are not free of ice yet, and I won't be fishing them for quite a while even after the ice is gone. To fish, you need to walk the streams. You can't walk the banks as they are too overgrown with brush. You can't wear waders as you are bound to trip and fall and get a wader full. Blue jeans and tennis shoes are the only way to go. Early in the spring is a great time for fishing, but the water is just too cold to spend a day at it (or even an hour).
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by vthompson View Post
    YES! I'm feeling it to...
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

With the last big warm up and rain, our river has opened up and so has Lake Michigan. I love spring fishing for Browns. Followed by the Lake Trout opener. Right now we are still getting steelhead in the river.

been doing lots of fishing latley, hmm lets see pike, pickeral, and trout. been practicing on my fileting of pike takes a bit will be back out monday morning for some breaky i hope
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

i have been catching trout all winter casting and on the fly.

what i am really itching for is some good walleye fishing! right now is their spawning time here and they run up river and congregate below dams and natural barriers. man that is a tasty fish! my deep freeze has been void of walleye for several months now

enjoy!

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just waiting for the waters to go down a bit, then back to the Steelhead!
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

I feel the itch!
    Gonna hit Lake Kentucky and Barley Lake on the 14th. Hoping for some good Walleye.