Thread: DIY Wind Generator for $150 (50-250watt)

Default DIY Wind Generator for $150 (50-250watt)

Saw this article. For those interested in moving (or living) off the grid, now you can afford to make your own wind farm for less than $1000.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    http://www.thekevdog.com/projects/wind_generator/

For the treadmill motor I recommend Craigslist.

Tools Required

* Jigsaw (or a hacksaw and a lot of determination)
    * Drill
    * (2) Drill Bits (1/2", 7/32")
    * Tape Measure
    * Crescent Wrench
    * Pipe Wrench
    * Protractor (to measure angles for the hub)
    * Sandpaper (various grits)

Parts Required

* 10" x 14" Steel Sheet
    * 10" x 1/4" Steel Nipple
    * 1-1/4" Floor Flange
    * 36" x 1" Square Tubing
    * 1/2" Bore Circular Sawblade (for hub)
    * 5/8" x 1/2" Arbor (to attach sawblade to motor shaft)
    * (2) Metal Straps
    * 8" x 4" PVC Pipe
    * 30" x 8" PVC Pipe (6" pipe works well too)
    * A DC Permanent Magnet Motor (preferably Ametek 30V or 260V 5A treadmill motor)
    * (8) 1/4" Bolts (with washers and nuts)
    * (2) 1/4" Sheet Metal Screws
    * 10-40 Amp Diode (the bigger the better)
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

I am certainly not an electrical engineer, but this does look relatively simple to build. I would like to see one that was built by someone else to confirm that it works. Thanks for the site and info.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Good stuff. I was reading an article today on commercial wind farms. They've just completed a very large one in northwestern Indiana. It's large enough to light 30,000 homes for a year. That's pretty impressive to me, anyway. I think this is a great, clean way to generate your own power.

Thanks for the article!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Aye I reckon a combination of wind and solar would be the way to go.
    Check out vertical axis wind turbines.
    Thanks for the link Mitch.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there

Thanks for the info and link, Looks simple enough.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

i've not had much luck yet in trying to locate a good strong permanent magnet dc motor, and am verging [when i have some spare project cash, on buying some large neodymium magnets and fabricating the alternator/generator myself.

such as dc motor as i've been looking for tends to run around $200, and this is only for a 150 watt turbine.

i've been aiming to bring the project in under $1/watt and have already designe the most efficient rotor i can come up with.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Very interesting, I think more low cost wind generators will come out. Especially in the US, the new administration is funding research and tax credits for them. The company I work for is looking to add one at one of our factories, and with the tax credits it will pay for itself in less than a year.

All im missing is a deep cycle battery and a 12v inverter, and I could try this project.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    All im missing is a deep cycle battery and a 12v inverter, and I could try this project.
    I think I speak for everyone here when I say that if you try it, we'd be very interested to hear your progress and results.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Nice link....that looks like it may be a great summer time project....Thanks

I think I'll submit these plans to my HOA and see what they say. Who thinks they'll approve it?
    The Pride

Quote Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
    I think I'll submit these plans to my HOA and see what they say. Who thinks they'll approve it?
    As long as you paint it the right color.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And two sets of forms are submitted. Oh, and you can't live in a corner house unless the generator is installed in such a way that it can not be seen from the road.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.