Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poison for hunting

Get Some!

A few questions I'd like to ask the poster:

1.) Why would you want to poison something you want to eat?
    2.) Why would you use poison opposed to a more conventional method (i.e. bow hunting or rifle hunting) which have worked well for hundreds of years?
    3.) Did you consider that in your locality, an unregulated poison is probably illegal to make?
    4.) Did you consider that if you could obtain a recipe and prepare a poison, that you would have to then find a more efficient or effective way to administer the poison than could be done using a conventional method of hunting?
    5.) Did you consider that the poison could take hours, or days to kill your prey?
    6.) Did you consider that during these hours or days, you would have to track your prey?
    7.) Did you consider also, that during these hours and/or days, that the poison would be all the while destroying the organs and meat of the animal?
    8.) Why would you need poison? Are you not a good shot?

I suppose if a person was a good enough marksman or archer, that they would not need to use a poison to assure a kill.

If there are any upsides to using a poison for hunting, please let me know, as I've yet to find any that would be beneficial for a person in Norway, the U.S., Canada, Europe, Western Asia or the Arctic regions.

Thanks.

All good questions. Now I have one. Who are you? If you head on over to the Introduction section, that would be a could place to let us know. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

why one would want to poison something they intend to eat is a rather subjective question.

many toxins, when entered dierctly into the bloodstream of an animal may prove fatal, while they are neutralized during digestion if eaten. to further this, many such toxins are usable in such small amounts that merely avoiding the area of the wound is sufficient to avoid any serious concentrations thereof. still further, many toxins, even while toxic when eaten are useful against small to medium sized animals in quantities that pose no risk to humans in consumption.

the use of hunting poisons, while illegal in most jurisdictions in modern times has been long prevalent in some areas as it lends a valuable edge to the hunter.

you see it in africa in situations where hunting is done by archery with low powered bows [where woods suitable for powerfull bows may be at a premium, or where smaller game comprises the bulk of the hunting], yet large game may still be taken if the animal is persued untill the poison kills the prey, or slows it's movement to allow it to be finished off. there are many other examples.

in an emergency, this could still be useful knowledge, or as with myself, in the interest of learning of the human story, the persuits, accomplishments and struggles of our people.

the statement that a good enough archer would not need poisons is a ridiculous one, i would say that the various aboriginal peoples of the world who live by such hunting are some of the best in the world. situation dictates need, and unless you are sport hunting, you may be inclined to use whatever edge you can get.

as to the statement that it might take hours to kill the prey, this is true aswell in hunting with broadheads. not every shot is a perfect kill, and if you are not prepared to track a wounded prey animal over many miles, untill you find it dead, or finish the kill, you may not be suited for ethical hunting. this is simply a real consideration of any hunting.
    Last edited by canid; 02-23-2009 at 11:38 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Don't most of the natives that use poison with blowpipes make it from frogs? I'm pretty sure most are a type of poison-dart frog, right? I'm pretty sure that the process for finalizing the poison to be effective in hunting can't be that complicated, since they are doing it with stuff they find in their natural environment.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

only the ones in south and central america to my knowledge.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Another thing to keep in mind...most indigenous tribes will have built a tolerance to the poisons in the meat. It's like going to Mexico and drinking the water. When a Mexicano drinks the water they do not experience the illness that we would.
    Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky (Styric)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

-Lord Byron (George Gordon)

Default To answer your question

Quote Originally Posted by EspenN View Post
    Something I've always wondered but never figured out, is if you use poison from for example a snake or a frog or something .. would that make the animal you shoot with the dart or arrow dangerous to eat? Would the poison just kill the animal (if the shot wasn't successful) or would it also make the meat uneatable?

Yes that is an interesting question raising the potential issue for ruining ones game animals by using poisons to dispatch them. Well for the most part hunting with poisons could be very potentially dangerous in that it could possibly expose one to said poison(s). However expert ancient hunters knew very well what they were doing and the level of contamination they are going to get from poisoning game animals. For the most part only portions of the animal would be rendered unsafe. It is important to know the type and dose of toxin you are using. And proper handling. I have heard many old stories of accidental self poisoning. Only certain part of parts of the animal would be rendered unsafe for the most part. And those parts would be removed quickly. I know that once the poisons are administered there is a window of time that you actually want the animal to die in. And that being the sooner the better. As the circulatory system is dispersing the toxins throughout the animals body. Also and often times with the dosing an actual kill was not the goal. This practice is much safer. Instead to incapacitate the game animal so that they can be clubbed or stabbed instead. The gradual effects of poison always start with different levels of incapacitating an animal before death. Assuming a lethal properly made dose was administered correctly to an animal that hasn't developed resistance to the effects of the agents. Certainly parts of the poison are going to be present. Well unless the chemical itself is volatile and degrades quickly. Which I am sure they are quite perishable. And then it would also be possible to rinse/clean and or cook out these agents by flushing them away and or burning the substance in the meat to a certain temperature. Most certainly there was much trial and error until the hunters managed to find a method that maximized the advantages of the toxins while minimizing the disadvantages.

Just curious as to what your expertise is in this area. Your first post and are we to assume this is anecdotal, conjecture or some experience you've had? I won't mention the bit about a 10 year old thread, which might actually be a record.

There's no way to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by chiangmaimav View Post
    I have read of natives in Surinam making poison darts from secretions from toads, and they safely eat the meat they kill. I don't know how. Actually most snake venom I am aware of must be injected in fairly large doses, which the snake is able to do, to be effective. I don't believe dipping an arrow in this venom would be effective. Bit I am not sure about this. Kachin people across the border in Burma also hunt with poisoned arrows and eat the meat. I know some stupid people in Thailand poison fish and then sell them for people to eat, and some people have died from this.
    They'd tie the frog to a stick and roast it to a degree over a fire and spit on the frog then run their arrow heads over the frogs skin to collect the secreted toxin.

How horrible for the toad. Don't you ever do that!

Sent from my LGL355DL using Tapatalk