Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poison for hunting

Default Poison for hunting

Something I've always wondered but never figured out, is if you use poison from for example a snake or a frog or something .. would that make the animal you shoot with the dart or arrow dangerous to eat? Would the poison just kill the animal (if the shot wasn't successful) or would it also make the meat uneatable?

It would make the meat inedible,which is why there are slaughter restrictions on most animal medications.

I mean you COULD eat it,but whatever you poisoned it with is going to be in the meat and you will consume that when you eat it.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Oh okay .. well, then I'll stay away from that

Well aren't there people all over...mostly south of the equator that have used poison darts or poison animals for ages hunting?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

There have been federal cases where ranchers poisoning coyotes were convicted of killing Bald Eagles that fed on the poisoned coyotes. If you doubt what nell67 posted
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

You are talking about natural venoms not poisons persay? If you are talking about venoms, then it depends on the venom and wether or not you have ulcers. If you do have ulcers then it is possible to poison your self with the tainted meat.
    I know what hunts you.

I would think that it depends on the poison. If it is a protein, then cooking the meat should denature the protein and render it harmless.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I have heard the ulcer thing myself,and otherwise consuming the meat cooked,which the Bald eagle didnt do,will do you no harm.Years ago it was legal to bowhunt with so-called poison but is now illegal in all states Im pretty sure.It wasnt actually a poison but a medication.Anectine.It is used to stop respiration in open heart patients.

My parents were down in Ecuador several years in a row, working with the Wuaorani (sometimes known as the Auca) Indians. Some of the tribes are still very primitive. My father brought me back a blow-gun and belt, beautifully woven out of grass, with the pouches holding the darts and the fluff to wrap around the darts - to make them accurate. There was also a container that looked like it was made from a large seed pod which was used to hold curare, but my father emptied that before he came on the plane. Would have liked to see what the curare was capable of.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

I were more thinking about venom, sorry, from various snakes or frogs .. like cobra, rattle snake or the mamba. I've managed to extract it, so I know I am able to do that .. but would cooking the meat then render the meat eatable?

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by EspenN View Post
    I were more thinking about venom, sorry, from various snakes or frogs .. like cobra, rattle snake or the mamba. I've managed to extract it, so I know I am able to do that .. but would cooking the meat then render the meat eatable?
    Good luck. If you can extract venom from those snakes I guess you could bear hunt with a switch and bite them back. I would imagine each would have it's own composition and need to be studied individually. I wouldn't try it, probably stick myself anyway. Good idea or RIP whichever is appropriate.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I've done some work on the snakes here....my experience is that venom loses its potency if exposed to air for any length of time. you'd have to carry it in vials packed in ice. you'll need a hypodermic(sp?) inject it with. the amount you can get in to an animal via a dart dipped in it would probably not kill it. apart from that..venom is complex protien...so cooking will break it down. Poisons from trees are much more stable.
    just my two cents worth.
    cheers
    j
    Last edited by Jay; 02-11-2009 at 11:00 AM.
    Walk softly upon the earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Good luck. If you can extract venom from those snakes I guess you could bear hunt with a switch and bite them back. I would imagine each would have it's own composition and need to be studied individually. I wouldn't try it, probably stick myself anyway. Good idea or RIP whichever is appropriate.
    They're just snakes .. I kinda don't fear snakes + I wear protective gloves. I've been a lot around, and I guess I'd extract the poison just before I actually went hunting. (and no, I've not tried hunting bear, they're almost impossible to find here ).

Jay, how long time are you talking about? Minutes, hour, days .. ?
    I guess paralyzing venom or venom that attacks the nervous system would work another way, or .. ? I don't know much about it, but since I don't use guns having an effective way to hunt would be nice.

Jay, how long time are you talking about? Minutes, hour, days .. ?

15-30 minutes. IMO you're not going to kill anything with snake venom unless you carry the snake with you and throw it at an animal. even then it might just give a dry bite or not bite at all. but do a search on snakes and snake venom on google. some good articles in pdf form. Also check out poisonous plants in your area. you might be able to cook something up to tip an arrow or dart with.
    Walk softly upon the earth!

Thanks! I'll try to figure something out .. if it doesn't work out I'll just practice more with a longbow or something.

retired American

I have read of natives in Surinam making poison darts from secretions from toads, and they safely eat the meat they kill. I don't know how. Actually most snake venom I am aware of must be injected in fairly large doses, which the snake is able to do, to be effective. I don't believe dipping an arrow in this venom would be effective. Bit I am not sure about this. Kachin people across the border in Burma also hunt with poisoned arrows and eat the meat. I know some stupid people in Thailand poison fish and then sell them for people to eat, and some people have died from this.

Quote Originally Posted by chiangmaimav View Post
    I have read of natives in Surinam making poison darts from secretions from toads, and they safely eat the meat they kill. I don't know how. Actually most snake venom I am aware of must be injected in fairly large doses, which the snake is able to do, to be effective. I don't believe dipping an arrow in this venom would be effective. Bit I am not sure about this. Kachin people across the border in Burma also hunt with poisoned arrows and eat the meat. I know some stupid people in Thailand poison fish and then sell them for people to eat, and some people have died from this.
    They can use these "poison arrow" frogs, because the chemicals secreted are not necessarily venomous. The usage of the word poison has a very wide range of meaning. We generally think of a venom when the word "poisonous" is bandied about, but poison can apply to the action of plants as well.

In the case of the frogs, the chemical is better used as a stunning agent, and a hunting aide. The indigenous people use it, not to kill their prey, but it serves to relax, stun, or render it into a state where it falls from its perch in a tree if the initial arrow shot did not hit a vital point.

This is why they can eat the meat afterwards. It has toxicity, but it is not venomous. Several of the poison frog varities have been found to be very useful for medical applications.

Default Poison

I know that the Cherokee used to make a poison for hunting small game by boiling Poison Ivy and coating their blowgun darts with the sap. It doesn't have seemed to hurt them any, at least not that I was ever told by any of the elders.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I think the idea of eating snake venom isn't totally out to lunch. I mean, its only protein right? The only real question is whether or not the venom "lasts" when not in the snake, and whether or not an arrowhead or blowgun dart would have enough surface area to keep enough venom on it for long enough to have it injected into an animal. If you were to do this, your best bet would to get a tranquilizer gun and fill the darts with venom. Or better yet use actual tranquilizers and just dispatch it with your knife.

people drink snake venom all the time. it's not harmful if you have no ulcers in the digestive tract.

eating a small amount of snake venom contaminating meat would almost certainly be harmless.

the question of whether snake venom keeps is up for debate, as venom samples degrade quickly if not stored properly, venom for long term storage is crystalized for stability. on the other hand, i've always been warned that the teeth of roadkill rattle snakes are still seriously dangerous.

you could certainly get enough on a broadhead to kill small to medium sized game, but most snake venom takes a while to kill any medium to large sized animal.

another important consideration is that milking snakes is stressing to the snake, and can be harmful.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.