Thread: this years focus on plants will be

Default this years focus on plants will be

the carrot/parsley family(umbelliferae)
    to include
    wild carrot,goutweed,poison hemlock,spotted water hemlock, water parsnip,wild parsnip,angelica,and last but not least giant hogweed.

the first trick is even finding these family members to study them, but hope to have mastered them by the next time the snow falls in the winter, i will keep you posted as to my findings.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    the carrot/parsley family(umbelliferae)
    to include
    wild carrot,goutweed,poison hemlock,spotted water hemlock, water parsnip,wild parsnip,angelica,and last but not least giant hogweed.

the first trick is even finding these family members to study them, but hope to have mastered them by the next time the snow falls in the winter, i will keep you posted as to my findings.
    If you stop posting while studying poison hemlock.......well we"ll know
    not to study poison hemlock too closely. Right?
    Good luck keep us posted.
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

With spring just around the corner, I can't wait to be able to collect some fiddleheads.

well flecther i try to focus more on deadly plants that not, if i ingrain the spotted water hemlock and poison hemlock into my mind then it will be easier to harvest the rest i try to learn the deadlies in any plant family, if you know which family the plant you are looking at comes from and know the non edible ones then you will know which to harvest and which to not, now i do not advocate anyone harvesting a plant in which they have not 100 percent identified, but in my situation and the way i study by learning plant families then if i know the bad ones i can harvest ones that i know are from that family but maybe have not 100 percent identified but am absolute about the family from which it comes, but that is how i learn, not for everyone

As for the focus on plants.

Lettuce, spinach and radish seeds went on the ground today. All I need now is some warm ground and sunshine and I'll be eating salads!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I plan on getting into edible wild plants this spring also. I already know some but there is a lot more to learn. My grandparents were great at that and I wish that I had paid better attention to them. While they were gathering plants, I was busy looking for ginseng and yellowroot.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    well flecther i try to focus more on deadly plants that not, if i ingrain the spotted water hemlock and poison hemlock into my mind then it will be easier to harvest the rest i try to learn the deadlies in any plant family, if you know which family the plant you are looking at comes from and know the non edible ones then you will know which to harvest and which to not, now i do not advocate anyone harvesting a plant in which they have not 100 percent identified, but in my situation and the way i study by learning plant families then if i know the bad ones i can harvest ones that i know are from that family but maybe have not 100 percent identified but am absolute about the family from which it comes, but that is how i learn, not for everyone
    Wareagle, My comments were meant to be funny not a negatvie against
    you. I trust your judgment i read your posts and i also respect you.
    If i were lost in your AO i would probably be sceaming WAREAGLE!!! WAREAGLE!!!! SAVE ME
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

wait a minute now i'm confused you read my posts AND you respect me hmm thats a new one, maybe you should talk to remy to help resolve your issues