Thread: Sugar Bush Time Getting Close

Default Sugar Bush Time Getting Close

As soon as the sap starts flowing...

My kids at the sugar bush:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Maple syrup is the best! I will take that over honey any day!

What time of year do you usually start tapping in your neck of the woods?
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

What is a sugar bush?

It's a forested area of sugar maple trees. A sugar shack is where they boil down the sap.

Yep,just down the road from me,they will have the maple syrup festival here in a week or so,haven't been to it yet,but maybe this year I will.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

If it is any thing like the one's around here Nell, I would go. they are a lot of fun and if you are the least bit interested in knowing how to make maple syrup that is the place to start.

Maple Syrup Festival - now that's something I'm sure I would enjoy. gotta empty my BOB and replace contents with pancakes
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here is an article on the upcoming Festival down the road from me

The 18th annual Maple Syrup Festival will ne held February 28 and March 1, March 7 and 8 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Leane and Michael’s Sugarbush on Garrison Hollow Road
    The Sugar House will be open serving breakfast and dinner. For breakfast or anytime during the day you can enjoy the delicious pancakes supreme or waffle boat supreme which are topped with strawberries or blueberries, ice cream, whipped cream and pure maple syrup with or without sausage
    For dinner at The Sugar House enjoy a half maple BBQ chicken or two pork chops with coleslaw, maple baked beans, rolls, drink and desert with carry-out available.
    You can also visit the Sugar Store and purchase your own fresh pure maple syrup, maple candy, maple cream or maple cotton candy.
    An the grounds of the Maple Syrup Festival many activities are planned for the young and the young at heart including: mule drawn wagons, crosscut sawing, tomahawk throwing, candle making, outdoor craft vendor area, music and much more fun activities and learning experiences.
    For more information or direction to the festival call 1-877-841-8851 or visit the website http://www.lmsugarbush.com/
    Last edited by nell67; 02-10-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by ClayPick View Post
    It's a forested area of sugar maple trees. A sugar shack is where they boil down the sap.
    I've heard of sugar shacks, but I've never seen one. We just boil up in the open. We hang our kettles from a tripod over a fire, or set up two tripods with a pole between and have several kettles hanging over a long trench fire.

I've built a stove, with a stainless steel tub that fits over it to boil sap. I'm still waiting for my brother to weld a patch on the tub. I figure it won't take so much wood as an open fire, but we'll still haul it out to the sugar bush to boil and home again when season is done.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Here’s a picture of one of the local sugar shacks. Later this month they will start tapping the trees and running lines. The sap around here runs late March to mid April. I don’t have a pic of their evaporator but at a full boil they get 5 gallons of syrup per hour from 200 gallons of sap. If you never seen it before you would swear the place was on fire from all the steam. I'm not sure of their production for the season but they go through 20 cords of hardwood in the stove. My wife goes to the Maple Syrup Festival every year ...... I promised to go this year, it really is a must see.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.