Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inventory of my supplies

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    What about flour for making bread?
    We live entirely off our supplies for about 8 months of the year, here's some tips on making sure you have all you need to get by:

-don't stock anything you don't normally enjoy eating, chances are you won't like it any better when you have no choice

-make sure to have a large variety of stuff. When you live off your supplies for a long time, nothing is worse than having the choice of only 3 types of canned veggies or always rice and pasta. It's one of those little things that'll make you go up the walls.

-stock enough treats and junk food to tide you through food cravings

-have planters inside the house to grow fresh greens in the winter - you'll be craving fresh fruit and veggies

-to figure out how much to stock of which food item, either weigh every item for every meal that you eat for a month, then multiply by the amount of months you want to stock food for and add 10% extra to be on the safe side. Or keep all your grocery receipts over a three-month period and extrapolate from there (three months because there's lots of items you don't buy regularly but still need).

-don't forget about the small stuff like spices, bottled sauces, baking poweder, yeast etc

-and if you expect to not depend on any stores for a while, remember to get enough toilet paper, toothpaste, dishsoap, medicines etc etc

-for serious preparedness or depending long-term on your supplies, it pays to have two of all vital items (power and light sources, communication, tools)

-also for long-term dependency, to keep yourself happy, entertained and the brain busy: boardgames, reference books and good novels are invaluable
    Wonderful advice.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Id def up the ammo and add in beans. Good for protein and whatnot. I also add in stuff I pick up daily. I dont eat fast food often but when I do I ask for hand loads of salt, pepper, ketchup, etc and will add them to a container for use later.

good job stocking up!

WAY too much stuff (temted to say junk).
    as a city dweller, you only need about 7 days of supplies (ice storms, power outage..)
    don't need a gun, keep some pepper spray for defense.
    isn't there some kind of law against horting?
    i remember reading some kind of blurb about it in a news paper.

What's a hort???? Oh, just noticed who posted, nevermind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    WAY too much stuff (temted to say junk).
    as a city dweller, you only need about 7 days of supplies (ice storms, power outage..)
    don't need a gun, keep some pepper spray for defense.
    isn't there some kind of law against horting?
    i remember reading some kind of blurb about it in a news paper.
    It is not to much stuff. I pick from it everyday and replace what I use. I rotate it through use.
    The gun is a 22LR. I use this during hunting season to get rabbits and squirrels. When I lived with my folks I used this to keep varmints away.
    Pepper spray hurts, OC spray hurts and you can never spray just the suspect/rapist/murderer/barney, you almost always end up sprayed as well.
    No there is no law against "horting" There never has and hopefully never will be a law against purchasing goods and foods.
    Newspapers are written by people, people are sometimes wrong, misunderstood, misqouted, and just plain stupid.
    Jeff
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

Mcfd45 - pay no attention to him.....nobody else does.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Presently in Oregon, but leaving soon for Latin America.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45 View Post
    I also do not know how to cook with flour. I don't think it would be a wise investment to spend money on something I don't know how to use. I plan on soon learning how to cook with flour and other grains.
    Jeff
    If you opt out of the flour, yeast, baking powder route, you could consider stocking up on a ready-made such as Bisquick which is fairly versatile. In my younger years, we would mix up the dough, wrap it around a stick and cook it over the fire. - instant biscuit for your peanut butter. We considered powered milk a staple also.

Ya gotta love Bisquick!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you're going to be fairly stationary, mason jars are darned handy too.

I have a website that I have been working with to help people become aware of food storage, come by and visit see if there is anything there you can take from it to help you out..
    Also just keep in mind the water situation, cooking noodles requires alot of water and not only that but a lot of fule to heat to a boiling.. I'm kinda of the mindset that if I'm dipping into my food storage then taime are tough, so make it as easy on yourself as you can buy the noodles that are allready cooked in self bags. Otherwise dependig on the higth of the situation you may just end up with a bunch of uncook noodles that will go bad in about two years..
    Last edited by crashdive123; 02-12-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: removed link to personal website

MGM - one of the forum rules is that you can't post a link to your own web site in the body of your post. You can however make it part of your signature, which means it will be visible anytime you post. Thanks for understanding.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Wgs
    If you're going to be fairly stationary, mason jars are darned handy too.
    Hey, Coot. Aren't Mason jars also known as W.Virginia cups? About the only thing the local water won't eat through. Just rumor, you understand. But if you drink very much, you're sure to be stationary.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hey, Coot. Aren't Mason jars also known as W.Virginia cups? About the only thing the local water won't eat through. Just rumor, you understand. But if you drink very much, you're sure to be stationary.
    They make a good mini-fridge. You can hang them in the creek from strings and even your liquid doesn't leak... but hey, I tend to shop at Sally Ann's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Mmm,, stationary or prone?
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

You bet!!!!! Prone to be stationary.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    What's a hort???? Oh, just noticed who posted, nevermind.
    Oh but you were( temted) to say something else weren't you!?
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Me tempted? Nah! Well....unless we're talking chocolate or scotch or cheeseburgers or ...... oh never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel