Thread: Bush Lines

Default Bush Lines

Down here in Fla. We fish with bush lines. Its hook line and sinker tied to limbs hanging out over the water. This works very well, and works while your doing something else. If you dont have a boat, Take a pole and tie a cloths pin to the end and use to hook and pull the lines in to check, You can also set from land by puting a larger hook on the other end of your bush line and using the cloths pin, hook it out on a limb. This is very productive way to fish.

we call them bank pole and they have to be checked twice aday
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Here where I live it is called running trot lines, and they have to be checked once a day.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Bush hooks as I know them are tied off to bushes growing in or very near the water.Trot lines are all tied to a long main horizontal line usually 50 ft.long and 2 ft apart.

Sorry there Stairman, I forgot to mention all of that.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

I wasent trying to be smart but the two are different setups.Both catch fish while your gone.someplaces may call a bush hook a trot line I dont know,I was differentiating between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairman View Post
    I wasent trying to be smart but the two are different setups.Both catch fish while your gone.someplaces may call a bush hook a trot line I dont know,I was differentiating between the two.
    Yes Stairman, Thats write. The point I was trying to make is, If you dont have a boat, you can set and check these lines from the bank.

Thumbs up Great explination for those just learning...

Quote Originally Posted by Stairman View Post
    Bush hooks as I know them are tied off to bushes growing in or very near the water.Trot lines are all tied to a long main horizontal line usually 50 ft.long and 2 ft apart.
    Thanks for explaining the proper terms for those just learning.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Originally Posted by Stairman
    I guess it depends are you you are located.

"Brush Hooks" as you discribe them were called "bank lines"

In NE Missouri, where I grew up, a trot line 50 Ft long would go from bank to bank ,which wasn't done, and we tied it to the brush: Etc, growing close to the river bank.

Sometimes we even tied a plastic clorex bottle to one end as a float.

We were after catfish mostly. Once in a great while we would catch a snapping turtle, or a Damm Gar.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

When I workrd offshore in the early 80's,7 on 7 off I ran 200 hooks[4 50ft lines]and caught so many catfish I sold them to the local Pitt Grill in Thibadaux.It was alot of fun.Louisiana's fishin cant be beat.

I have fished trot lines, bush lines or limb lines, bank lines aka pole lines and bottle hooks. Gosh, in S. GA/ N. FL (Doctors Inlet, St. Johns River) we used it all including fish traps, nets and the odd blast of powder or eletricity. Bottle hooks with a 40 pound flat head in the mad mode can be fun to get hold of. These are the ultimate survival toles in the swamp, eatin is good and bait is easy.
    "Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.”

— Thoreau

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An aspect of bush fishing like we do is that most of my lines are hand made so a shorter line is good to use for this method.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

My dad taught me to fish with jugs, yo-yo's, and trot lines. He called it "meat fishing" basically just a way to stockpile some food. We'd smoke whitefish, and trout and fry everything else. However, in Montana this style of fishing is now illegal.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

all are very good methods and should be learned and practiced, check your local laws they are illegal here as well, and for those that dont have winters like we do here in the north and the water is frozen over i like to fill the ice holes with pine branches and check them a little more often so they dont freeze over, for the ones the might not know

jug and brush line fishing are still legal in ky with some restrictions. i have done both in the last couple of years for "meat" fishing. it is an awesome way to catch a lot of catfish for the freezer. we typically will set them in the evening and check in the am when we camp

i have not used a trot line in a long time but i grew up using an awful lot. i remember catching so many types of fish on them in kentucky and barkley lake. sauger, walleye, catfish, crappie, bass, stripers, gar...hell i remember once hooking a 75 lb paddlefish.

in ky, you cannot use a trot line on a lake less that 1500 surface acres so that rules out both of the lakes close to me or i would probably use them occasionally. jug and tree lines have many restrictions including: must be checked every 24 hrs, must have reflective markers on, must have name and address on each one etc. we get a lot of jackasses who hang them and leave them around here. normally i make rounds in the winter on both lakes close to me and remove all of the abandoned ones. man it was time consuming the first time i did it but now it just takes 1/2 day on each lake. the other bonus to that is that i usually find $50ish worth of lures/plugs hanging in the trees.

anyway, i am rambling......