Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: survive great depression 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    What would your list of priorities be and what do you think it would look like.
    While I hope it doesn't happen, I'm getting ready, to the tune of $6K this month.

I'm staying put, that's my strategy, me and my elderly mother aren't going anywhere, we'll last it out.

My priorities? The usual: shelter, water, food and defense.

Shelter: The house is paid off, well built, and can be heated with wood. Firewood would eventually become a problem, I'm shopping now for a few cords of hardwood.

Water: We have high-quality year round running water a few hundred yards away, there's also an irrigation ditch that runs right next to the house, I scouted out the diversion valve the other day, it's nearby and I have bolt cutters. I have 4 55-gallon barrels for water storage, and a 3000 gallon lined pond in the yard for storage and rain collection. The irrigation ditch means possibly some gardening, I've stored some seeds.

Food: I have maybe 18 months worth for two people, I just got more and I'm not done yet.

Defense: This is always a sticky subject, but I'm going there anyways.

Some of this I have, some has yet to be delivered.

PTR-91 semi auto rifle in .308, with 450 rounds, and 10 20-round magazines.

Glock 17 9mm pistol, with 4 17-round mags.

KelTec Sub2000 9mm carbine, accepts Glock 17 mags, I got 4 33-round Glock mags for it, along with 1000 rounds of 9mm.

See the theme? Primary rifle, primary carbine, primary pistol, followed by a backup sidearm, a .357 snubbie revolver, with a few hundred rounds for that.

.22lr pistol and rifle, for small game.

2 bolt action rifles for larger game, and backup defense. 800 rounds or so for the 2.

I also just got a quality 2kw generator, not so useful for long term survival but after watching the suffering from the ice storms this winter I'm making sure I can be my own power company for at a few weeks at least.

I think some inflation is around the corner, so I stocked up on all kinds of things I know I would buy in the next year anyways, before the currency devalues.

Soap of all kinds, toiletries, paper goods, plastic goods and bags, batteries, vitamins, bleach, salt, canning rings and lids, first aid supplies, all kinds of stuff I would buy anyways, I'm just buying in advance.

The biggest problem in all my preps are prescription meds, have to pay cash to buy in advance because insurance won't cover that, and the cost is steep.

I hope nothing bad happens and in a few years I get to laugh at myself for all these preps, I really do, but I'm going to go ahead and prepare just the same.

Just an FYI, the national US unemployment peaked at 25% in 1933. From http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/Timeline.htm .

Compare that to 10% now in Michigan (where I live).

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    Compare that to 10% now in Michigan (where I live).
    And I hope it goes down and not up for y'all, but what would it be if the Big 3 shut their doors?

In the 30s our currency was safe being backed by gold, that's no longer true and hasn't been for about 40 years.

Runaway inflation is one of my deepest concerns, $30 loaves of bread and $50 gallons of milk all would cause massive civil unrest here.

The dollar is in danger of becoming the ruble.

If all Big 3 shut their doors, Michigan unemployment would go 20% for sure. And you have many suppliers that would go under too. These suppliers are located not just in Michigan but in surrounding states: Indiana, Ohio, Illinois are big states, but automotive suppliers are also all over the US.

But Chrysler is not in such a bad situation if I recall. It's GM and Ford that are in a bad situation. Plus all their suppliers that depend on them. Many suppliers did not diversify during previous recessions so 100% of their business is automotive related.

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    But Chrysler is not in such a bad situation if I recall. It's GM and Ford that are in a bad situation.
    I think Chrysler is hurting badly as well, it's just that their poor numbers aren't being tossed around in the press because it's a privately held company and those numbers aren't as widely known.

wasn't Ford the only one that didn't ask for a Govt. handout?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    wasn't Ford the only one that didn't ask for a Govt. handout?
    No, the CEO's of GM as well as Chrysler were asking for $$$. Did anyone see Bob Nardelli (WIU Alum WOOT!) on the news? He was a dick.

His argument for giving Chrysler money was exactly that. If the government didn't give Chrysler money, they would send the economy into the ****ter. Well, needless to say, the government doesn't take well to threats, and voila, no $$$.

My theory is that if the automakers go down, there is going to be someone there to take their place fairly quickly. America needs cars, it's a fact.

Alpine is right. Ford has not taken any bailout money. Consequently, Ford is the only American automobile manufacturer that I will consider purchasing a vehicle from.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel