Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver as a barter Item

Default Silver as a barter Item

What do you guys think of silver as a barter item?

I have seen alot of different ideas and posts for barter items but it would seem to me that you would want to focus on the basics before you worried too much about barter. Even then most posts I see say things like bullets, alcohol, seeds, food, generators or items like that would be great for barter.

However I am not sure about that. It would seem to me that things like bullets and alcohol would be dangerous. Simply because people might be more then willing to harm you for them. Second seeds and food would seem to me to be something you might want to keep rather then trade away. Third alot of the bigger items like generators or water purifiers are hard to stock up on in bulk simply in the off chance you might have to trade them away.

Silver coins however would seem to work rather well. First I couldn't envision any senario where there wouldn't be at least a few people willing to take them in trade. Second they are small so you can store and carry both large and small quantities of them. And finally they would retain their value even if the world was just fine.

OK - I gotta ask. What type of scenario do you envision where all of this bartering would be going on?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

a simple dollar colapse like argentina would work

Honestly several of my friends have started bartering already. Trading things like funiture and old cars for electronics or services (like web design)

Bartering is nothing new. I do it all the time with my business. If somebody needs service, but can't afford it we can usually work out something. The reason I asked the question I did was that you said -
    It would seem to me that things like bullets and alcohol would be dangerous. Simply because people might be more then willing to harm you for them
    Now in a true barter scenario as you described, the things of value to others will bring you the best deals. Nobody can eat a bar of silver or gold if they are hungry. That same gold or silver will not run the generator for power. They may however be a great investment vehicle for some folks. If however, the scenario that you describe unfolds, I believe that useful items that people need will have their greatest value. My father told me stories of the great depression (he lived in Germany, where it was, by some accounts worse than in North America). One story was - he had collected a wheel barrow full of pennies. They had no value as currency, but as scrap copper - he got two loaves of bread. You can't eat pennies, silver, or gold.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Knowing the common person, a basement full of canned goods would look like fort knox. Every time before there is a "snow storm" in Boston, I head to my favorite pub to watch the stockpilers line up around the block at the grocers across the street. It's hilarious. Carts heaped fully of food that, in all honesty, isn't worth investing in if you expect the worst. So yea, um, just buy a can of Campbells for every silver dollar you'd be issuing. I'm certain you can trade those lickidy split.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Yet us put this senario to you.... you have what is presently worth $10,000 worth of silver. You need some gas for your generator (which is in short supply), some antibiotics, a pound of 2penny nails (for repairs to your house) etc. You are going around your area searching for these items to (in reality purchase) barter for your silver. First: you need these items to survive, they don't need your silver, you are going to pay a premium in silver for hese items.
    Now let s say you run into some unsavory vermin (they do surface during these times), They offer to trade with you, you flash your silver, and next thing you know you don't have your silver nor do you have the items you needed. And that is if you are lucky, if you are unlucky, your body is lying in a shallow grave somewhere.
    I know what hunts you.

If you are looking for barter items, aquire a mix of luxury items (liquor, tobacco, coffee, tea, etc.) and consumables (nails, screws, gas, etc.)
    I know what hunts you.

I think precious metals have their place, but it's far down the list. After you've stored enough food, have a secure source of energy, water, heat, and have the means to keep it yours, then it starts to enter the list. To me, precious metals are all about protecting wealth. While I could foresee a long-term post-Peak Oil world where silver coinage would be preferable to paper money, unless you have surplus cash you don't know how else to protect, you'd probably be better off storing more food and seeds. I just picked up over three years of food seeds in sealed cans for under $140. I can tell you that if things get bad enough, that will carry far more value relative to inflation than the equivelent amount of silver or gold.

Think of wealth preservation in terms of maintaining buying power. While it's assumed that gold maintains its buying power relative to inflation, so do many things that are valuable. If seeds are hard to come by, they'll maintain lots of buying power. If alcohol is hard to come by, it will maintain its buying power. If you can bake bread with wheat you paid $.85/pound despite the fact that inflation has sent the price of wheat to $9/pound, than you've maintained your buying power.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Banned
    Blog Entries

The "Hopeak Whorehouse and Whiskey Emporium" gladly accepts barter. On a more serious note: Just have lots and lots and LOTS of everything you will ever need. Last time I went shopping was Oct. 12, 2008. About 114 days ago. Yes, that is a new record.

Silver and especially gold will always have their worth. Having some silver set by for barter would not be a bad idea.

Wish I had some.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

I hope that silver does become a barter item, because I would fair out pretty well.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    If you are looking for barter items, aquire a mix of luxury items (liquor, tobacco, coffee, tea, etc.) and consumables (nails, screws, gas, etc.)
    +10
    Also rich chocolate and fats like shortening or lard.
    People switching to survival type diets often can get starches and protein but not fats.
    After a couple weeks the cravings for fat start to show. Without the fats you can't even digest protein properly and start to starve. It becomes a trade item.
    Chocolate is rich in fat so I count it there instead of as candy.

You might want to look at what Allied soldiers used as barter goods at the end of WWII.
    (Butter and Nylon stockings)

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would believe that precious metals like gold and silver would play more of a roll as things begin to stabilize. They have always been a stable form of currency.

But in a situation of a complete collapse of the economic system, the bartering of actual goods and services would be required.

There will always be people that will work themselves into a position of advantage over others. As their stockpiles develop they will start to look toward the future. Precious metals will be an important part of securing their place in a new economy. Trade items may no longer be sought after with these people.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Why just the other day I traded a roll of quarters for tobacco products and a lighter, does that count?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe so! Especially if they were Canadian quarters.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Yes they are. You can tell by the Queen on the front and the elk on the back (although I find the two of them difficult to distinguish)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Tell me if I am wrong. The other day some one posted a question what would you take into the mountains to live for a year. Why dont you just apply the same senario to this situation that way gold and silver is not as important. Your goal is to be self reliant in those times. The only difference is you are preparing your home and not the mountains. The important thing is to keep it quiet because once people find out you have it you wont have it for long. Prepare your self and then look to trade goods. Thats just my humble take on the situation
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...rn_.html?cat=3

The more you know the less you need.

Keep in mind that in a real world SHTF scenario, you may hard pressed to find too many folks who know the difference between real silver currency and a worthless alloy coin.

It sure won't be the highschool kid working the check-out counter of the Stop-N-Rob or the guy who runs a local gas station.

Precious metals in a retirement portfoilo are one thing, but successfully "bartering" with gold/silver during hard times is something entirely different.

I would follow SARKY's suggestion and go with luxury/consumable items.

As for folks "harming" you for bartering items such as bullets, alcohol, tobacco, etc....don't be naive.

Certain individuals (given the circumstances) will gladly slice your throat for a Happy Meal and the number one reason why YOU have and CARRY firearms/ammo in the first place, SHTF or otherwise.
    Last edited by Leighman; 01-30-2009 at 01:19 PM.

mmmm, I don't mean to deviate but I'll trade a half dozen 308 rounds ofr a happymeal right now. I'll throw in a brick of 22s if you deliver to my office
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

If I was in your neck of the woods right now, you'd have a deal.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel