Thread: Automotive Survival

Default Automotive Survival

Winter is now upon us in full force and that got me to thinking today. How many of you have your cars or trucks ready for winter? I am not talking about oil changes or antifreeze just right, or tires,etc. I am talking about being ready in case you have to spend a few hours or even overnight in your vehicle due to bad weather.
    Personally, I keep 4 wool blankets, 3 flashlights, 3 cans of sterno, granola bars, water, and anything else that I think I might need.
    So try to take a few moments and consider preparing your vehicle for inclement weather, and store a few items that you can fall back on just in case you need them.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Blog Entries

Yup, good idea..

I've got a high-powered flashlight with spare batteries, jack and jumper cables (of course), collapsible snow shovel, first aid kit, 3 kinds of fire starter, 4 emergency blankets, energy bars, emergency candle, 2 pairs of winter gloves, 2 liters of water, cell phone, fire extinguisher, a multi-tool (knife, saw, scizzors, screwdriver), and a 1.2L pot.

Let's see... One sleeping bag, rated for -20* F, one lil'buddy propane heater with 2 cans of propane. 2 "space blankets". 1 case of water, granola bars, smoked kippers and sardines, box of saltines. 2 cans of gas, 1st aid kit, extra windshield wash fluid. Extra change of clothes, plus an extra set of sweats, ski pants, 2 pair of gloves, 2 pair of mittens, extra tuque or 3. a couple of fleece throws. a couple of books. a couple of flashlights. my cell phone with car charger. a louisville slugger. my attitude!!
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

For those of you in cold winter climates - are you concerned with keeping canned goods in your cars? Isn't freezing a problem?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

well, the kippers can get kinda mushy, but they still taste good on crackers! the sardines are in oil, so they don't seem to be affected by the freeezing temps, and I buy them by the case at work. cheaper than wallyworld! lol!!
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

My winter car kit consists of sweaters/pullovers, wool socks, big wool hat, leather gloves (for working on the car), and waterproof thinsulate gloves all stuffed inside a contractor garbage bag (keep's em dry just in case). I also have a couple nested camping pots. Inside the smaller one I packed nuts, oatmeal, some sugar packets, etc. Put a fair amount of handkerchiefs between the two pots and then put the whole mess into a gallon ziplock. have a couple little snap-together rubbermaid storage boxes that only take up about half a duffle bag. I store my tools in the bottom section (vice grips, metric and standard socket set since my new Camry has both for whatever reason, screwdrivers, small pry bar, Gerber multitool, extra fuses, and some other specialized tools for the various car pieces). In the top I have two quarts of oil, a ziplock of oil rags, and a bottle of HEET. So the mess kit and the doublestack rubbermaids fit nicely inside the duffle with enough room around the pot's corners for a ziplock of toilet paper, matches, vaseline cotton, and a headlamp. In the outside pocket (on the barrel end) I have a first aid kit and on the side pockets I think I have some spare batteries for the headlamp, rubbing alcohol, and a pepsi can stove.
    Outside the duffle I have a wool blanket, gallon of antifreeze, jumper cables, and the car jack (of course). EDIT: and I should have a metal shovel but I left it in my jeep when I sold her. *doh*

@ Crash, I'd too think canned goods would expand something fierce in the cold but I haven't heard of anyone's beans bursting. Broth might not have enough water?
    Last edited by MCBushbaby; 01-26-2009 at 10:01 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Quote Originally Posted by laughing beetle View Post
    well, the kippers can get kinda mushy, but they still taste good on crackers! the sardines are in oil, so they don't seem to be affected by the freeezing temps, and I buy them by the case at work. cheaper than wallyworld! lol!!
    The reason I asked was that Hope had said one of his big challenges in winter was keeping his canned goods from being ruined by freezing. Just wondered if the cans ruptured through expansion.

Edit: Just read Mitch's response - that's what I was wondering.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Browse my album for my car kit, but what immediately comes to mind is MREs were born for car kits. Self-heating, designed to take temperature extremes for several years, and a good variety of vittles. I assemble my own from the selection at Emergency Essentials so I can be sure I'm getting items I like.

Also, a set of tire chains and a tow strap are always good ideas, and I agree with Beetle, a good book and a deck of playing cards can turn frustration into a pretty mellow situation. I'd also recommend sticking a set of lithium batteries with your flashlight. Regular alkalines lose a lot of juice in cold temperatures, particularly when they get older. Lithiums are spendy, but they have a 10 year shelf life and maintain their power when cold. That's expecially important if your flashlight is sitting in a cold trunk. I use a piece of electrical tape over the switch to prevent if from accidently turning on, too.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I keep the Jeep pretty well stocked but I don't stray too far. My choice is really a pair of insulated Carharts with the hood, slept in them before when working and it doesn't get terribly cold around here and can usually reach someone with the cell phone. I usually have company if I stray from the regular roads.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I make little winter car kits for friends from time to time. Every year I get a popcorn tin for Christmas from the company I work for. I put a three wick candle in the middle and then stuff the voids with space blankets, hand warmers, granola bars, lighter, a simple first aid kit, compass, tissues, lightsticks, small rain poncho, and a cheap multi-tool. It fits easily under a seat and never needs to be removed from the car.

In my own Jeep I keep a sleeping bag, tool kit, and most of my camping gear year round.