Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What made you crave survival?

Default What made you crave survival?

My wife asked me the other day why I am so into all this survival stuff. Of course the answer I gave her apparently wasn't good enough. It got me wondering though why did any of you make this a hobby/obsession/way of life? When did you begin, why did you begin, etc?
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Recreation and in-case i'll need it some day.
    Prepared enough.

I guess I better share since I created the thread. I think it started more of wanting to be in the Military. When I was a kid I would dress up as a "Army Man" and play in the woods near our house. I wanted to be a hero I guess. As a teen I began hunting with my grandpa and loved it. I love the woods, the sounds, the smell, the getting away from reality. I can't say these reasons are really about survival, but it all goes hand in hand I think. I love to be out there, so I have to be prepared and have the ability to survive if something was to happen. So I'm not into the bugging out stuff, or preparing for the world to end. I'm just an outdoor enthusiast I guess who likes to have that comfort of feeling safe.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Blog Entries

What made you crave survival?
    ..... Fear of death?

I got into it because I joined the Search and Rescue team where I live, and needed to know how to put together a "ready" pack, so as to be able to survive on my own for a minimum of 24h..

There's probably a few people here who like the thrill of putting themselves into a "Survivorman" situation, to see if they have the skills and mental fortitude to make it..

But I think alot of us just want to enjoy the outdoors without hauling around alot of gear, and still be secure in the knowledge that we could survive should disaster strike..

Surviving, not camping..

One is fun, the other is not..

My 2 cents, anyways..

I don't view my enjoyment of the wilderness as survival, but rather just living.

Edit: Having seen my fair share of weather related disasters and the people that were not prepared for them, I vowed not to be a victim. It is not the job of the government to make sure that I have food and water to survive. It is my job to ensure that I keep my family safe.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-26-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Seen some hard times, trying to make sure they don't happen again. That is why I stock up on food and other things. I can now, may not be able to in a bit...As far as wilderness survival, I am in the woods at least three days a week, I live a long ways out in the country, and my hobbies are all outdoor oriented.

As a kid,I was in the woods around our farm alot,during the summer,I always went hunting ginseng with my grandfather,we would be out there for the biggest part of the day,leave the house before sun up,and get back in the evening in time to do the feeding chores before it got dark,only took cans of vienna sausages or potted meat to eat,and drank whatever water we came across.

After my kids were born,I had them out in the woods digging roots by the time they were 3 or 4, for me it's just the place I have always felt most comfortable.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned
    Blog Entries

I thought "Survival Forums" would be full of real hot sexy, rich women. Damn, I hate it when I am wrong.......

I don't craze survival. Last thing I want is to be in a situtation where I need to use those skills. But setting aside semantics, I was (and still am) a minimalist backpacker. I was a sleep bag and a cooking pot away from the "pick only three things to carry into the bush" option. So it was a natural transition.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Blog Entries

I thought "Survival Forums" would be full of real hot sexy, rich women. Damn, I hate it when I am wrong.......

You saying it aint?
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

I love the outdoors and may find myself needing to survive
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

for me it started with watching Johnny Weismuller as Tarzan, living the good life. Then there was the boy scouts. Then camping on my own. The Military....so many foriegn countries, SERE school (as a student), TEST school (as a student), SERE school as an Instructor. And now living in earthquake country.
    I know what hunts you.

I grew up in the north country of New York state. In the summer, the power goes out because the thunderstorm/microburst knocked down trees and powerlines for a 100 mile stretch. In the winter the same applied, but with icestorms and blizzards added to the mix. i also grew up camping and hiking as something to do when i wasn't in school. So i guess i just like to be prepared.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

I'm not sure, but I'd guess it's just something that has been in me from the start. From the day I picked up my college roommate's book Nuclear War: what's in it for you? I was compelled to learn more. After that I became a sponge for survival information of all types and got some lucky breaks, particularly when I dropped out of college and was able to get on a wilderness trail crew that summer. That introduced me to some amazingly knowledgable folks and the rest seemed easy. I loved to hike, I loved to camp, I loved gadgets, and that made it all fun. By the time I was 21 I'd started ultra-light backpacking (or fastpacking) and the prepping stuff just happened (although the ex-wife's Mormon family sure helped that along).
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980
    What made you crave survival?
    I don't much care for the thought of not surviving.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Not surviving never seemed like a good idea to me.
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

I have always loved the outdoors and I especially loved being in the woods. I would have to say that my grandfather piqued my curiosity in the outdoors. He always took me hunting for ginseng and yellowroot. He would take me hunting during the fall and fishing in the spring and summer.
    I wouldn't say that I craved survivalism, but I love the challenge of taking my skills and knowledge to the next level. I don't think that you could ever learn to much.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

I once(age 15) flipped a sailboat about 8 miles offshore. What happened afterwards was a very cold and scary night and day as i drifted back towards the coast... If I had been on an uninhabited coast, as opposed to southern California I would have died. From then on I have always planned for the worst.

These days I am more worried about the big quake that will eventually come and knock this town and region on it's a$$...
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

I suppose it started when I was young. Growing up on a ranch the only thing to do was camp and hunt. However I am facinated with history and those who had to lead a more self reliant life. This is the life that I try to lead.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...rn_.html?cat=3

The more you know the less you need.

Mostly my love of the outdoors, And the lod saying. Its better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it!