Thread: Steam Pit -- Cooking Food and Bending Wood

Default Steam Pit -- Cooking Food and Bending Wood

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I've been researching the many uses of a steam pit. That is when you dig a hole in the ground, line it with large rocks, build a hot fire in the pit to completely heat the rocks lining the pit, rake out the ashes and coals, put lots of green and non-toxic leaf matter on the hot stones, put the meat or wood piece to be steamed (one hour per inch of wood) and softened on top of the leaves, put more green leaves on top of the meat or wood, cover the pit with the original soil and leave for a couple of hours while the steam does it's job. Whew!

Anyone ever use a steam pit?
    Last edited by Bowcatz; 03-05-2007 at 11:17 PM.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

I've never even heard of that. Does the steam come from the moisture in the green matter?

It kind of makes me think of a solar oven, though I doubt anyone would make bread in it. LOL

Yes. The moisture is driven from the plant as a form of steam and the steam cooks the food or softens the wood for bending. I would use a tasteless green material like clover to use as the steam source. Some folks use mustards greens to steam their food.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

I believe this method is popular in new england for clam bakes, still used today in non-survival situations. It'd also be a good method in desert or other areas where fuel in scarce as you only need to run the fire long enough to heat the rocks.

I've actually used this method to cook a whole pig for a neighborhood celebration. It took about 4 guys an hour to construct the whole thing and get the fire going and it was a real hit. Everyone loved it and the pig turned out amazing. I would do it again, it's just a little time consuming and messy.

isent this how they do lou-outs in hawaii? when they cook the pig.

In New Zealand this is called a hangi and is very popular. Whilst in the Army ( im a chef)I have used this technique in the middle of winter in 4 inches of snow to cook food. We use volcanic rock (igneous rock) to trap in the heat.
    Food is wrapped in large leaves or sacking. I have often placed whole, gutted fish inside large seaweed ie bull kelp and placed on hot embers and covered over, 30 minutes and it should be cooked, steamed to perfection. Very hard to overcook. Go out and try it, practice makes perfect!