Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Type of Switchblade

If you pull out a knife while you are getting mugged more the likely you would end up shot. The bad guys usually have guns. The best way to get out of a bad situation like that is always carry a money clip with a $5.00 bill wrapped around a few $1.00 bills. If you get held up pull it out and toss it to the ground and run the opposite direction. When the bad guy has a choice of going after the money or chasing you down he will pick the money. For $8.00 you get to live.
    If you light a fire for a man he is warm for a day, but if you light that man ON fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

Blog Entries

Talking Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo! View Post
    I didn't realize switchblades were illegal. Thanks for the advice guys. Just a little jumpy after a friend of mine got jacked the other night.

Sarge, are you at WIU?
    Are you a 'Neck?
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-25-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: oops.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Geronimo, Although the other guy's have given you good solid advise, dbldrew gave you the best idea yet. I heed that same trick by carrying a few one dollar bills in a money clip so that all I have to do is pull it out and toss it on the ground then get out of Dodge.
    Don't get a switchblade, because I am sure that you won't like the pay back plan.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by vthompson View Post
    Geronimo, Although the other guy's have given you good solid advise, dbldrew gave you the best idea yet. I heed that same trick by carrying a few one dollar bills in a money clip so that all I have to do is pull it out and toss it on the ground then get out of Dodge.
    Don't get a switchblade, because I am sure that you won't like the pay back plan.
    Yeah, I go along with this as the best plan. One guy I knew carried 2 wallets. The one for robbers had a couple bucks in it and a bunch of Christian Tracts.
    If he was ever robbed he told me that he intended to pull it out, then throw it hard in the oppisite direction of where he was gonna run to. Also,if you're where I think you are just remember that the fine for fighting here has been raised to $250! Talk about highway robbery.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-25-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: oops.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Sorry folks, guess I have a bad attitude but after working major East Coast cities at night I would be broke at $8 a pop. One man can almost always handle two or three average muggers. I am on the wrong side of 60 and I now carry a walking stick. Ole Cunningham developed a good system, simple and easy to learn and it's legal. Personally I always found they were kinda like a dog, run from them or show fear you've already lost. Go for them and they will run. This is only if you can't beat feet. Be aware, you should know everything on the block, best defense is attack unless someone has a firearm. Fingers & wrists are easily broken with a cane or walking stick and it is a total surprise that something for an infirmity can be very deadly with only a week or so of training. I had one instructor tell me why waste a punch or kick when a gentle finger in the eye works wonders.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Are you a 'Neck?
    Yes sir sarge, neck all the way.
    I take it you're GoWest? You guys have a great system, thanks for being there @ 2am in the square.

Ole WV has a great point about crime and so does DBL. I think it comes down to fight or flight. If you've got muscle on him, sticking around to defend your 8 bucks might be worth it, but if you've got a faster 40yd time, see ya 8 bucks, hello home.

I agree with all the WARNINGS here, but if you're still going to get a knife that opens quickly, with a descent size blade (at least 3"), then check out the Kershaw OSO Sweet. I have one, it combines a flipper with an assisted opening. Just as fast as any switchblade I've ever owned. I also own: flippers, they're fast. Assisted openers, fast too. The combo of both in one knife... real fast.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Blog Entries

Talking Go "Go West!"

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo! View Post
    Yes sir sarge, neck all the way.
    I take it you're GoWest? You guys have a great system, thanks for being there @ 2am in the square.

Ole WV has a great point about crime and so does DBL. I think it comes down to fight or flight. If you've got muscle on him, sticking around to defend your 8 bucks might be worth it, but if you've got a faster 40yd time, see ya 8 bucks, hello home.
    Actually I'm not driving that route anymore, but if'n you climb on a Green bus in the am, I'm the oldest driver out there. (& the only one named Rick.) Stop by & say hi!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I think that the best way to get out of a situation like that is to have some martial arts experiance, or at least know how to handle yourself. I can disarm a person quite quickly, there is lots of practice needed and quite a few rules and things you have to remember....but you'll be glad you can....I know i am

Blog Entries

Martial arts are great, and give me a great sense of self-confidence..

But that doesn't mean I'm going to risk my life over a watch and/or a wallet, trying to be a hero..

Unless it's clear (use your instincts..) that you have NO choice but to fight for your life.

Carrying a weapon around 24/7 is a victim mentality, and like others have said, is a good way to get you killed or arrested..

Learn some unarmed self-defence skills, by all means.. Pack a money clip..

But the first step in avoiding a situation is not being in that situation in the first place..

If you're out, try to go with friends.. Stay sober.. Dress undemonstratively (leave the bling at home), stick to well lit, busy places.. Avoid alleys, parking garages, subways.. Know your exits.

Use common sense, and you narrow your chances of a confrontation considerably.
    Last edited by dougz; 01-26-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Can you spell illegal? They are in any state I can think of.
    New though! Think Azorina they are legal here.

I have a couple but don't carry them.

My everyday carry is a Spyderco Native or a Spyderco Stroddard

I would rather take a gun to a knife fight, then a knife to a gun fight.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Default Crazy Country

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    New though! Think Azorina they are legal here.

I have a couple but don't carry them.

My everyday carry is a Spyderco Native or a Spyderco Stroddard

I would rather take a gun to a knife fight, then a knife to a gun fight.
    Crazy laws, subject to change anytime. I was in Ohio a few days ago and found
    my CCW wasn't worth anything. I had to illegally transport my carry 45 locked in the glove box of my Jeep and the mag in the back, still illegal because the way they looked at it separation of ammo & firearm are necessary as one in the trunk & the other in the interior. Impossible to do. My everyday carry knives are a SAK & a SOG Flash II which I found was illegal also. In WV I can carry a handgun but a knife with over a 3 1/2" blade is illegal with a CCW. I can cross the river into KY and carry my 45 plus a knife of any length blade. I either stay here, leave everything home or call ahead. I have a couple of decent switchblades and a Gerber double edge, EK edge 1/2 all illegal here.

Default switchblades scare me

I don't like switchblades at all. True story, many years ago in a bar in Vancouver I was having a rather heated debate with another young gentleman over how much money he owed me. It had to do with his lack of skill at the gentlemanly sport of billiards. Anyway, he pulled a switchblade. Frightened me so bad that the beer bottle flew right out of my hand and smacked him on the forehead. I felt just terrible about it as I'm sure you all can imagine. In fact, I was so distressed that I thought the best thing to do was just go home... in a hurry....in case any of his friends were similarly armed (me being all out of beer bottles) On my way out the door I threw his switchblade in a garbage can. He was still sleeping off his temper tantrum.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    I don't like switchblades at all. True story, many years ago in a bar in Vancouver I was having a rather heated debate with another young gentleman over how much money he owed me. It had to do with his lack of skill at the gentlemanly sport of billiards. Anyway, he pulled a switchblade. Frightened me so bad that the beer bottle flew right out of my hand and smacked him on the forehead. I felt just terrible about it as I'm sure you all can imagine. In fact, I was so distressed that I thought the best thing to do was just go home... in a hurry....in case any of his friends were similarly armed (me being all out of beer bottles) On my way out the door I threw his switchblade in a garbage can. He was still sleeping off his temper tantrum.
    How unfortunate for that other young "gentleman" to have his forehead situated right in front of your beer bottle! I hope you were soon able to resolve your feeling of distress.By the way, did he see things your way about losing the wager?
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Sadly, the matter remained unresolved. The crux of the matter was that he was incapable of understanding how much "double or nothing" would actually cost him every time he lost another game. I felt it best not to stick around and explain something as mundane as basic arithmetic to anyone who might have considered themselves his "brothers-in-arms" or some such.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    NOW THAT IS FUNNY! I'll be sending you a nice soft coozie for your beer bottle so that such an unfortunate accident doesn't happen again!

I always had a problem holding those big heavy ashtrays myself. I guess uncordination is
    heredity, but I never spilled any beer gotta watch that.

In Texas switchblades are legal to own but not to carry. And that makes no sense to me.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

In a self defense situation such as muggings you are better off to just be more aware of your surroundings and try to avoid any situations where you could get mugged. Such as certain streets with little to no lighting where you see people standing around, better to just find another way or catch a ride to where you are going. The thing is if you pull out a knife it ups the ante, the muggers could have knives too or even a gun, by pulling out the knife you have basically said I am willing to take your life to get away which could cause you to get killed in the process. Better off loosing your wallet or taking a few punches and stomps than having a knife or bullet go through you.

Best advice too is don't try any of the tough guy methods because like I can tell you and many others can here who have been in these situations most of these people will go in packs and it doesn't matter how tough you are or what weapon you have if there are 4-6 guys they are going to get to you and then use your weapon against you.

Try a Boker. The ones from mexico are junk. A good one will come from Germany. Do a search on google.