Thread: Debris blanket

Default Debris blanket

Instead of building the frame and then covering it with leaves etc.I was thinking[to save time]about collecting the debris first.Make a body length pile,body width and a foot deep.Lay a tarp or space blanket over that and pile another 2 or 3 ft. on top of that and crawl in under the banket.Maybe make a little shelter over your head and you just might be able to sleep warm.Have never heard of anyone doing this so Ill try it.

Something I learned from my grandfather:

At a young age, while deer hunting, I got lost. There was heavy snow, and it obscured many landmarks. I cut boughs and made a "mattress" a foot thick thick. Above the "mattress" I built a temporary leanto with of roof a boughs a foot thick. I got on the "mattress," under the leanto and kicked out the support - ending up with a foot thick bough "blanket" over a foot thick bough mattress. It wasn't a pleasent way to spend the night, but I didn't freeze anything - and eventually became warm enough to drop off to sleep.
    Last edited by RBB; 01-25-2009 at 08:14 AM.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

I've done the large debris pile and then tunneled my into the center of it. That worked quite well for a while. It really depends on how much you toss and turn in the night, you tend to knock debris off of it, which means less insulation on top of you.
    I know what hunts you.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

It will keep you warm, if you don't mind a snake or two. Don't think FL would be my choice to try, maybe up north above the poisonous snake and other reptile range. Snuggle with a bunny is ok but not with a rattler, some spiders or worse.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I guess basically just sleep in a pile of leaves with a tarp on top. It sounds like it would be a lot easier than a debris hut. It might even keep you warmer since the debris is so much closer to you.

Banned

Be warned that if you do this and it rains it will hold the well debris right against you and that could mean hypothermia in minutes through contact transfer of moisture.

it's safer than being wet without the insulation. as a few mm of wet clothes, exposed to moving air will draw heat away, 12-48" of debris blocking the flow of air, allows your body to warm the water around you [in the clothing, and nearby debris alike] as well as the air. this is a considerable advantage over no shelter. when you add to this the ability of so much debris to shed most of the water before it reaches the interior of the shelter, you have a fair advantage in water-proofing as well.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos...r-life?photo=0
    This sounds like it. They call it a hut but its more of blanket.