Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fish Trap

retired American

Fish traps are very popular here. I saw an exhibition of several different types here a couple of weeks ago. Mostly made from bamboo. If I talk to someone who knows how to make them I will pass along the information.

well, the cam is still fine. the lense cover sticks more than it did before, but it never worked quite right since i got the thing, i just have to click it open by hand.

here is the trap, though not the best picture. i started by making a 12" tall band of chicken wire about 2' long and 12" wide. i cut out and wired on an ovoid piece of chicken wire as a bottom, to which i attatched an ovoid section of rebar as weighted rim.

i next cut about 3' into the rop rim of the chicken wire band at the ends, and at two points where the bends start on each side. i folded these parts of the sides in about 45 degrees and wired together, so that the top sides would be domed. to this i wired a pre-cut top piece along one side, so it could open like a hinge. i'm putting small hooks on the other side so i can fasten it closed better.

after this, i cut small 3" round holes at the ends near the bottom, fastened tapering funnels out of spare chicken wire, tapering from 3 to 2" and wired these onto the holes pointing inward and up, so they rise to half way up the height of the trap. this lets the crawfish enter from ground-level but makes them jump down to enter, making the funnel traps more effective.

all that remains is a little bait cage in the center, and maybe a bit of foam flatation material at the top so that it sinks upright if i throw it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Thanks for the explanation and picl

Oh, and congrats on the camera. sob, sob.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    well, the cam is still fine. the lense cover sticks more than it did before, but it never worked quite right since i got the thing, i just have to click it open by hand.

here is the trap, though not the best picture. i started by making a 12" tall band of chicken wire about 2' long and 12" wide. i cut out and wired on an ovoid piece of chicken wire as a bottom, to which i attatched an ovoid section of rebar as weighted rim.

i next cut about 3' into the rop rim of the chicken wire band at the ends, and at two points where the bends start on each side. i folded these parts of the sides in about 45 degrees and wired together, so that the top sides would be domed. to this i wired a pre-cut top piece along one side, so it could open like a hinge. i'm putting small hooks on the other side so i can fasten it closed better.

after this, i cut small 3" round holes at the ends near the bottom, fastened tapering funnels out of spare chicken wire, tapering from 3 to 2" and wired these onto the holes pointing inward and up, so they rise to half way up the height of the trap. this lets the crawfish enter from ground-level but makes them jump down to enter, making the funnel traps more effective.

all that remains is a little bait cage in the center, and maybe a bit of foam flatation material at the top so that it sinks upright if i throw it out.
    Thanks, Ilike it, and the pic. Is the trap of your own design?

it is a trap of my own design in the sense that i didn't copy any other trap in making it, or the first one like it i've built, but it's fundamentally similar to many other traps made by others.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    Here's a How To with pic's and a great step by step (from my Making Stuff Sticky).
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/DIY/Fish-Trap.html
    Great fish trap and well made. Thanks for the link.
    Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky (Styric)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

-Lord Byron (George Gordon)