Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowdrill Questions

I use a soft wood for my spindle, it creates a good coal after only 45 seconds to a minute

My best results have always been soft spindle and board when ever possible from same tree, in Cottonwood is my favorite source
    Semper Paratus

best wood to use is willow for both spindle and hearth, failing that find Alder, or cotton wood... if you cant find that go for other soft woods...
    here is a video Of me making a set start to finish:
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 04-27-2017 at 05:35 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Sycamore and cedar work great for board and spindle. Keeping your forearm tight against your org is important. Wait for lots of smoke from dusts mouldering in the notch and let the coal burn and set up just a little. Have leaf or bark under the board. Use oil fron ear/side of nose, green leaf etc to lubricate handhold that has sharper pointed end. Be sure wood spindle and board are dry. I keep them wrapped in plastic in mu pack.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    Sycamore and cedar work great for board and spindle. Keeping your forearm tight against your org is important. Wait for lots of smoke from dusts mouldering in the notch and let the coal burn and set up just a little. Have leaf or bark under the board. Use oil fron ear/side of nose, green leaf etc to lubricate handhold that has sharper pointed end. Be sure wood spindle and board are dry. I keep them wrapped in plastic in mu pack.
    Which brings us to the question I just have to ask.

You brought the pack.

You brought the bow drill kit.

You wrapped it in plastic.

But you did not bring a Bic lighter, Zippo or ferro rod?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I Always take lighter or two for each pack, same with Swedish fire steels and carbon ( not stainless since they do not create spark). I also almost have WWII bolo knife and folding saws, large trash bags and water stray or katydin filter. I really like using bow drill but keep some tinder on me in case it gets wet or too damp. Also cotton with Vaseline. Fanny pack is more skimpy, but can make fire. I carry gps, but each pack has a compass. It is easy to go a long way in the forest around here.
    Also, 357 and bear spray along are comforting as is one man double wall tent. This is not primitive stuff. I like making snares, bow/arrows shelters, etc,BUT it is nice knowing I can revert from primitive if I want including some food. Insect repellent on warm weather really helps. Carried almost most same in land between the lakes in KY when I lived there.

You CAN generate a spark with a stainless steel blade and a ferocerium rod. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You CAN generate a spark with a stainless steel blade and a ferocerium rod. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
    FYI
    You can also spark a FERRO rod with anything harder than a ferro rod, with a sharp edge....even glass,... like a broken bottle.

Flint Rock referred to in "flint and steel"...is a chert/flint rock ....the steel needs to be high carbon.... so your sparks are carbon steel filings being scarped off the steel... to form the "spark"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Which brings us to the question I just have to ask.

You brought the pack.

You brought the bow drill kit.

You wrapped it in plastic.

But you did not bring a Bic lighter, Zippo or ferro rod?
    I've thought that same thing whenever I see someone talking about keeping a bow drill set in a pack, or B.O.B.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    FYI
    You can also spark a FERRO rod with anything harder than a ferro rod, with a sharp edge....even glass,... like a broken bottle.

Flint Rock referred to in "flint and steel"...is a chert/flint rock ....the steel needs to be high carbon.... so your sparks are carbon steel filings being scarped off the steel... to form the "spark"
    confirmed. done that before many times.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    I've thought that same thing whenever I see someone talking about keeping a bow drill set in a pack, or B.O.B.
    I never relie on A bow drill, its simply a last ditch method, its not very realiable, expends a ton of energy.. (even if you really good at it)
    In a survival situation it is gona be my last choice...
    I have made many many many sets, made many many bow drill fires.. but I rather use a ferro rod or a lighter.
    I would not add it to a b.o.b or survival kit,
    If you desire to go fully primitive well then go for it, still want to set myself up that challenge for 48 hour primitive.. to test my skill.
    but yeah been putting that off, and I have even slammed into african bush with a knife and a ferro rod and a water bottle (thats about as minimal as I have gone for 72 hours thus far)

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    I never relie on A bow drill, its simply a last ditch method, its not very realiable, expends a ton of energy.. (even if you really good at it)
    In a survival situation it is gona be my last choice...
    Exactly. It's great to know how to make one and use one if you absolutely have to in a survival situation, but you don't PLAN on using one.

It's like taking worms, grubs, and spiders in your pack for food. Yeah, you'd eat them if you HAD to, but don't make that your first choice.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

There are some things worse than starvation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There are some things worse than starvation.
    Balut? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food) I swore off of them after Chief's initiation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't think anyone would make the arguement that the very best fire making method is the firebow, but it's easy if you make use of the right conditions and dry and store everything properly.
    Making a coal or fire with the bow drill is a bit of a magic trick. You divert the attention with one hand and talk about form and types of wood and the bow etc and with the other hand you pull out your bone dry softwood set and tinder and proceed to make a coal in literally a very few seconds.
    I'm sure there were individuals from days past who refused to keep their bow set dry by the fire or mantle and those where probably the same people who liked to keep their gunpowder damp to make the shooting more challanging. I suspect those individuals were rare, but not nearly so rare today.

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    I don't think anyone would make the arguement that the very best fire making method is the firebow, but it's easy if you make use of the right conditions and dry and store everything properly.
    Making a coal or fire with the bow drill is a bit of a magic trick. You divert the attention with one hand and talk about form and types of wood and the bow etc and with the other hand you pull out your bone dry softwood set and tinder and proceed to make a coal in literally a very few seconds.
    I'm sure there were individuals from days past who refused to keep their bow set dry by the fire or mantle and those where probably the same people who liked to keep their gunpowder damp to make the shooting more challanging. I suspect those individuals were rare, but not nearly so rare today.
    hahahahahhahaha... yeah it is kinda like that. Its my party trick.

Not having to do with bow drill....but more flint and steel
    Was practicing up for a fire starting contest at a Rondy.....

Hot and humid, I was using their tinder and wood provided like the contest....equal components for all.

I was having a problem catching a spark on my char cloth.......Was working up a sweat.
    Young boy standing there watching....

Took a break....took out a cigarette, lit it with a "Lucifer" (strike anywhere match)....

Kid looks a me and says...."Why don't you just use those for your fire?....."
    He walks away with the "Sometimes I really wonder about grown-ups........DUH....look on his face.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-27-2017 at 09:53 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Kid looks a me and says...."Why don't you just use those for your fire?....."
    He walks away with the "Sometimes I really wonder about grown-ups........DUH....look on his face.
    hahahahaha!
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward