Thread: Beauitful...

Default Beauitful...

I am sitting at the computer having an after supper cup of tea, and step out on the back deck....it is cold, clear and beautiful. It is -22 C at this time, a lot warmer then this morning, which was - 38 C. I can see a couple of stars, the sky is crystal clear. I stand on the deck for a couple of minutes, and my tea is getting cold, but it is hard to go in, I can hear nothing, no cars, no one talking, nothing except the brook. I love it here!

What do you see outside your homes tonight?

you dont want to know...Cough*Suburbia*Cough

Out the window into the backyard, the sun is starting to get low in the sky. The temp is a balmy 35 degrees. I see the kids fort/playset - the "expedient shelter" tent/tepee they made from a sheet, the herb gardens and a tiny bit of the neighbor's house through the trees. No car noise, but I do hear a plane - we're on a landing pattern path. Semi-suburbia... but out a bit.
    ...because ideas have consequences.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's still afternoon here, but last night I was out admiring the Milky Way for a while (in just below freezing weather!). A great horned owl was hooting on the other side of the lake, and in the woods off the cabin the telltale crack....crack crack..........crack indicated an evening moose passing through. Found the tracks this morning.
    Actions speak louder than words

Last night I sat in the backyard for awhile just after midnight. Temps were right around freezing, no clouds, no noise. Gotta enjoy the cooler weather while it lasts.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It is cloudy tonight, the birds were at the feeder at 4:30 because we have snow coming in the morning. I love to watch them stock up just before a storm. We live in town, in a nice neighborhood, but too close to each other. On the weekends you can see the sky because the shipyard doesn't have the lights on the cranes. It is 13 at this time, last night is was -17, so it feels nice.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Male owl or female Great horned owl.......? I have a massive male Great horned Owl, that has been here for 6 years. He keeps calling and calling, but no lady'owls reply.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Last night I sat in the backyard for awhile just after midnight. Temps were right around freezing, no clouds, no noise. Gotta enjoy the cooler weather while it lasts.
    The low last night was 38* F above. High yesterday was 51* F Above. And I just spent $10,669.00 for a new snow machine.......

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Male owl or female Great horned owl.......? I have a massive male Great horned Owl, that has been here for 6 years. He keeps calling and calling, but no lady'owls reply.
    He must have an outhouse without a door too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well I use to have a great view of snow caped mountains through the sliding glass door (that goes out to our back deck) in our bedroom, but the jerk that lives behind us decided to build the tallest shed i have ever seen. So a shed is what i see now. Time to move out of town again. Thats the plan once all the kids move out.
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

The low last night was 38* F above. High yesterday was 51* F Above. And I just spent $10,669.00 for a new snow machine.......
    What did you buy for a sled? Must be one heck of a sled. I use mine just for icefishing, as riding the trails with people that need to go 100 mph, just isn't fun for me. Three people have died in this state on sleds so far this year.

The sun is just now touching between the Twin Sisters in the Sangre de Cristo Range west of the cabin. The light gets scattered through the big ol' cottonwoods down here on the creek, and tosses all sort of blue, pink and purple slats around on the snow. It'll still be shining on the range to the east for another hour, giving me a second sunrise as the reflection sweeps up the valley.

This has been one of our beautiful, unpredictable "January thaw" days in the Rockies. It may have hit 50 degrees today (!) -- supposed to be clear and maybe 5 or 10 above tonight. Late moonrise too, so the stars should be really somethin'.

}}}}
    When in doubt, go higher.

At least you have time to get rid of some of the ice under your bed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Male. Where I lived before, I had a pair of them close by (do they mate for life??). In March and April, they would go all nuts with their concerts by the cabin.
    Actions speak louder than words

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    What did you buy for a sled? Must be one heck of a sled. I use mine just for icefishing, as riding the trails with people that need to go 100 mph, just isn't fun for me. Three people have died in this state on sleds so far this year.
    09' Ski-doo Super Wide Track. Needed for hauling water, Sad to admit I am having trouble pulling 200 pound sled of water jugs up and down the mountain on snowshoes.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-17-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    I am sitting at the computer having an after supper cup of tea, and step out on the back deck....it is cold, clear and beautiful. It is -22 C at this time, a lot warmer then this morning, which was - 38 C. I can see a couple of stars, the sky is crystal clear. I stand on the deck for a couple of minutes, and my tea is getting cold, but it is hard to go in, I can hear nothing, no cars, no one talking, nothing except the brook. I love it here!

What do you see outside your homes tonight?
    Snow and evergreens, smoke curling down from the chimney, deer crossing the lake (probably headed for my apple tree - they kick at the snow in search of last autumn's fallen apples). A couple of icehouses in the far distance, though there doesn't seem to be anyone out spearing in this weather.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Saturday night, the weather has warmed up considerably, I spent a couple of hours out on snowshoes, probably around 10:00 at night in a field not far from the house. I stopped and was just staring up at the stars and when I looked down I was so proud of the little WonderMutt. He'd been bouncing along beside me and behind me and ahead of me and kept sinking down to about his neck every leap he took. He figured out that when I stopped if he sat on the front of my snowshoes he wouldn't sink out of sight. Pretty bright puppy.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I go outside a lot of evenings and watch the deer come to the hill behind my house to graze on the grass and eat some of the corn that I put out for them. Sometimes on a clear night I try to locate the North Star and look at the constellation's. If you listen real close you can also hear the creek running.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Last night what I had for a view in the back yard was cirrus clouds scudding along and and over El Capitan Mountain. I could hear the geese at the lake squawking about something, and the Marine Corps flying ch-46's at about 3k AGL whump-whump-whump-whump...

I hear we are getting Ospreys in a few weeks. I bet they are quieter than the -46's and -53's...
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]