Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Global Warming?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by red lake View Post
    Nice idea for a thread. Could have picked something a little less controversial like abortion or the death penalty.
    Speaking of the death penalty. I heard this guy on T.V. the other day say that as every other state in the union is trying to do away with the death penalty that Texas is putting in an express lane.

Convict'em an kill'em.......save some tax dollars.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

As for the global warming, I think the planet will cycle like it always does if brought on by humans or just natural events, even the climatologists say they don't have a full understanding of how it all works. And as for the Mayans, 2012 is the end of the calendar, which doesn't necessarily mean end of the world. Some people say end of the world, others say a shift in awareness (Paradigm shift is the term most used). So, I would say just live your life, and try to be happy with the time you've got. But that's just my 2 cents.

I noticed, and expected, that everyone jumped on the Global Warming bandwagon with their favorite propaganda , but 90% of you miseed the survival part of the initial post. I have to wonder, if a group of survival experts get sidetracked so easily, how do they truly expect to survive when called upon to do so?
    When you're out on the road and feelin' quite lost
    Consider the burden of fame
    And he who is wise will not criticize
    When other men fail at the game

Beware of strange faces and dark dingy places
    Be careful while bending the law
    And the house you live in will never fall down
    If you pity the stranger who stands at your door

---Gordon Lightfoot---

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I noticed, and expected, that everyone jumped on the Global Warming bandwagon with their favorite propaganda , but 90% of you miseed the survival part of the initial post. I have to wonder, if a group of survival experts get sidetracked so easily, how do they truly expect to survive when called upon to do so?
    1. Everyone didn't respond.
    2. I thought it was the thread originator's responsibility to keep the thread moving in the right direction and to clarify the intent of the thread.
    3. What are you asking? Perhaps, a re-wording of the question would help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy
    I noticed, and expected, that everyone jumped on the Global Warming bandwagon with their favorite propaganda.
    We do love a bandwagon when we can bring our favorite propaganda!

but 90% of you miseed the survival part of the initial post.
    What was the survival part of the initial post again?

I have to wonder, if a group of survival experts get sidetracked so easily, how do they truly expect to survive when called upon to do so?
    We allow ourselves to get "sidetracked" because its fun. It is truly amazing the direction a post will go in.

Why worry about something you have little or no control of? It's far better to prepare for that which you have a reasonable expectation may happen within your life time. Like going hunting and getting disoriented for a day or two. Or, if you live in Florida or along the east coast or the gulf coast. Planning for a hurricane. Which you can reasonably assume will happen.

Aside from the record low temps in many places, and the established fact that the planet hasn't warmed any in ten years and is beginning a cooling trend, what do you all think about global warming, or climate change?
    We covered that pretty good!

The only scenario regarding 12/21/2012 that I've heard so far that I might buy into is that while the planet crosses the galactic equator we could experience a pole shift. Is there a way to survive that? Would you want to? (Perhaps off subject, but a helluva change)
    Speaking for myself only.........Haven't given it a single thought at all.

Can we do anything about climate change?
    I think we've covered that.....and the answer is "yes" and "no" depending on which side of the fence you are standing.

Is there really enough human impact to do that?
    Covered that also.......and the answer is "yes" and "no" depending on which side of the fence you are on.

Won't nature self-correct as it always has, wiping us out in the process?
    Why not. Thats been the pattern since the beginning of time. Global catastrophes that wipe out the dominant life form at that time.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this....
    You got thoughts from a whole bunch of folks. So be happy people even gave your thread a second look. I thought we covered allot of good stuff in this thread.
    Last edited by klkak; 01-25-2009 at 11:39 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

It seems to me that global warming in itself is a kind of religion, using any, and all information to even vaguely support its claim. "Temperatures are unusually hot".. "Global warming". "Its getting colder." "Oh, that's an odd weather system/pattern/whatever, caused by, (wait for it) global warming." Certainly is a nice catchall isn't it? Can't be totally proven either way so its all good.

I find something else odd: I believe that last year some global warming conference that was supposed to be in Africa was canceled, due to unusually cold weather. Lemme guess, "global warming"? Ooh ooh I got it right!! I wanna cookie.

Yet another strange thing. Wasn't it in the mid to late seventies that the magazine Newsweek had a headline, and front cover dominated by "Earth headed for next ice age?". I might be a little off here. Is our scientific community, with all their instruments and experience capable of finding data to support an ice age with some certainty and a mere thirty years or so later saying, "Whoops! we had it backwards, sorry." I am finding it hard to believe that they were THAT wrong.

Supposedly, the man starting the whole mess about "global warming" admitted that they fudged the numbers, (say "lied") making it look worse than it actually was for the purpose of drawing more attention. Should we even be persueing this further?

Ok, my thoughts: Climate change is probably happening. I do not believe that it is caused by man. Rather I think this is just another part of the planets' normal cycle. Granted, I don't believe we are helping with the problem. I feel that even if we alter everything we do in the attempt to "reverse" the "problem" our results will be meaningless. I would not go so far as to say that there even is a problem.

I see the entire concept of carbon tax, carbon regulation by "credits" and such as simply another way of having more governmental control over everyone. That and of course raising revenue by fining those naughty people who break the new rules. Eventually, the powers that be will find out cutting open the golden goose yields nothing. We the people are probably seen as more of a "cash cow" by them, and this is just another scheme to squeeze more out of us than is their due. Nothing new here, just different tactics and reasoning.

At my home, every light bulb is of the compact florescent type. (Well, the workshop lights are the long tubes. There. I lied. I did not buy them to "reduce a carbon footprint". They were bought with the intent of lowering my already low electric bill, which they do nicely. (As long as the power company doesn't continue to increase their rates, AGAIN) During the winter I use a regular bulb or two in my barn because the CFL's turned off at night don't usually turn back on when its very cold. I drive a small, efficient car most of the time. (38mpg give/take a few mpg) Again, not to help the environment, but to pay less for gasoline. I am very conservative, try not to waste anything, and have a respect for all life, and the environment. I do not litter, and I have picked up other peoples trash on occasion and such. I am doing, in essence what I can, and if it has any affect to slow or halt "global warming" you could consider it "icing on the cake". Regardless of my reasoning, it helps me out with funds, and "saves the planet" I guess everyone should be happy. Right? :P
    Last edited by SnipAR-10; 03-19-2009 at 03:41 AM. Reason: my punctuation stinks. You all should get the idea though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    Greenland's on it's way. But yes, some glaciers are increasing in size...here

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Did you ever wonder why A land covered in ice and snow was called Greenland? It's because when they landed there first it was plush and green and lovely. It was this way until the 18th century when it gradually began to cool. This was well before humans were pouring CO2 or any other substance into the atmosphere both Greenland's centuries of temperate climate and the past couple centuries of colder climate there. Glaciers ebb and flow, advance and retreat all the time it is natural. The polar ice caps are the thickest and large as they were 30 years ago. Meterologists can't get the weekly outlook within a 10% margin of error ever and you're trusting computer simulations based on educated guesses?

Banned

dont misunderstand the mayan calendar..it doesnt refer to and end time .. it refers to a time of transformation. the time of the 5th sun.

Hoosierarcher,
    I heard a different story about the naming of Greenland. A group of vikings around 800-900 AD got rowdy and the local gov't (such as it was) put a bounty on their heads (all of them). In order so they wouldn't get killed, the rowdy ones (including Eric the Red) left with their families. They named Greenland that name because it was covered in ice at the time. They named Iceland that way, because it was green and good enough to live on, and they didn't want competition from other people.

This is also why Eric the Red came to what is now Canada, he was looking for a new place to settle with his friends and all their families.

However, to kind of support your idea, I did hear that one winter (in the 1700s?) was the coldest on record, indicating that the 1700's in general were really cold. Also in England, a grandmother remembers a certain bay freezing up every winter during the 1940s, but her grandchildren don't believe her because that bay hasn't been frozen in 30+ years! (Don't remember where I got that from but it illustrates how it has gotten warmer over the years. We/scientists are not sure why though.)
    Last edited by bulrush; 03-19-2009 at 02:27 PM.

That picture of the Portage glacier almost looks to be camera trickery. The newer picture is not the same angle, and appears to be taken from "further down" the curve of the landscape. Effect being that the glacier looks smaller to a greater extent. It does look smaller to me, but I think they were trying to "enhance" the effect.

Really ?

Is it really that hard to admit to ourselves that our ecological impact on this planet has visible consequences ?

No one is arguing that earth has cycles...what we are seeing though, is that the way we manage our ecological presence, is in direct correlation with off of the chart numbers within this cycle.

This, in turns, affects to a greater extent whatever climate trend the earth is experiencing. It is like a soldier being wounded on the battle field...and having all of the soldier's friends visiting him and plunging their dirty fingers in the wound, accelerating signs of infection, and widening the wound to critical proportions.
    Again...no one is arguing that certain things are bound to happen, like being wounded during war times...but focusing solely on one of the two related happening is not reasonable.

Reason dictates that indeed the earth has seen warming and cooling trends in the past 3 or 4 billion years. Were we here during those major cycles ? No.
    But we are here now, and the rapport between the present cycle and us is in plain view for all to see. Carbon levels have never been, in the history of this planet, as high as they are today. The ozone layer has never had a hole before our ecological impact...and so on.

I guess, we will see what the next 30 years bring about.

Okay, just so there is no confusion here. If you see me lying wounded on the battlefield (not that I actually have any friends, just sayin') it's not okay to poke your dirty fingers in any of my wounds. If you want to rescue me, then fine. Otherwise, keep your hands off!

Besides, not only do I not know where your fingers have been....I don't want to know.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Besides, not only do I not know where your fingers have been....I don't want to know.
    He's lyin' people, don't respond to any pm's from this man, he really wants to know where your fingers have been. Sad, really (walking away from computer shaking my head)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"