Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming?

Default Global Warming?

Aside from the record low temps in many places, and the established fact that the planet hasn't warmed any in ten years and is beginning a cooling trend, what do you all think about global warming, or climate change?

The only scenario regarding 12/21/2012 that I've heard so far that I might buy into is that while the planet crosses the galactic equator we could experience a pole shift. Is there a way to survive that? Would you want to? (Perhaps off subject, but a helluva change)

Can we do anything about climate change? Is there really enough human impact to do that? Won't nature self-correct as it always has, wiping us out in the process?

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this....
    When you're out on the road and feelin' quite lost
    Consider the burden of fame
    And he who is wise will not criticize
    When other men fail at the game

Beware of strange faces and dark dingy places
    Be careful while bending the law
    And the house you live in will never fall down
    If you pity the stranger who stands at your door

---Gordon Lightfoot---

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    the established fact that the planet hasn't warmed any in ten years and is beginning a cooling trend
    Where's your sources?

The only scenario regarding 12/21/2012 that I've heard so far that I might buy into is that while the planet crosses the galactic equator we could experience a pole shift. Is there a way to survive that? Would you want to? (Perhaps off subject, but a helluva change)
    Well, assuming the poles shift 180*, if you want to go north you now use the white side of the needle. South? Red.

Can we do anything about climate change? Is there really enough human impact to do that? Won't nature self-correct as it always has, wiping us out in the process?
    I hope something like "the day after tomorrow" happens. It'll certainly put people back in their place. But aside from global catastrophe, if everyone just does some basic changes around the house they can seriously reduce the burden on the planet. Like switching from incandescent to florescent... or better, LED. Or recycling. Or reusing. Turning down the thermostat a couple degrees. Plastic-wrapping their windows in winter. Finally switching from coal to hydro, or solar, or wind! I could go on.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Nasa says there will be a solar max 12/21/2012. They have a lot of info actually.

Quote Originally Posted by higgy View Post
    Nasa says there will be a solar max 12/21/2012. They have a lot of info actually.
    Can you share the link to this info?

Near the bottom,

"Dikpati's forecast puts Solar Max at 2012"

Well, apparently it's time for me to start running around waving my arms in the air and screaming in a high falsetto voice. NASA said so. Or I could live with the anguish of a cellphone not working and buy better quality sunglasses.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Hi Trax, Expect the best, prepare for the worst, right?

um, I'm more like hope for the best, expect nothing, prepare for what I can. I mean, we've had questions here about literally end of the world events, and I finally had to ask myself "if it's really the end of the world....what is there to prepare for? The only preparation in that case I think would be sincere and humble prayer"
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Cool Ok guys...

Check out these PREVIOUS threads.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...Global+Warming

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...Global+Warming

We've sorta talked that one to death!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Keep yer head up Trax, Yer bumming me out.

Expect the best!

Quote Originally Posted by higgy View Post
    Keep yer head up Trax, Yer bumming me out.
    so? so what? I'm still a rock star...no wait, that's Pink. Never mind

cold blooded

there seems to be alot of chatter about the solar deal. also the mayan calender ends on 12/21/2012. also nastradaum predicted it as well. bible also makes reference to end times. probably natures way of saying chill out on my planet!!!!!
    lazy days!!!!!

Like Ziggy said, our solar system oscillates up and down thru the Milkyway every 64000 years or so we travel back thru the center. I'm completely blowing smoke here. LOL

Well, I fully intend to last until at least 2013 just so a bunch of dead Mayans can't say "we told you so" when I get to the other side

If the Mayans wouldn't have invented that calender, we would all be safe, damn them!

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Even if we were approaching another iceage and human activity had no impact on the climate whatsoever; what's the point in using that as an argument not to thrash the planet? EDIT: don't know what misfiring of mental synapses caused me to write the opposite of what I meant! I mean of course "what's the point in using that as an argument to trash the planet?"It is human greed and stupid mindless consumerism that has led to so much pollution and extinction of many species. It is plain stupidity to have the entire world economy dependent on a non-renewable energy source, quite apart from the "carbon footprint".
    It seems to me that if all "smarts" the human race thinks it possesses were applied to living within our means, avoiding and combatting pollution and the destruction of the few last wild places that remain, we'd all be better off. I'd love to have mining and oil company CEOs required to live off the waters they pollute for the rest of their lives and live right next to their tailing ponds until they die. I suspect they might see things a little different then.
    Last edited by wildWoman; 01-19-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    Actions speak louder than words

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    ....I hope something like "the day after tomorrow" happens. It'll certainly put people back in their place.
    Just exactly where do you think people's place is?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel