Thread: G'Day All

Default G'Day All

Hey all!

Been reading most of the threads for a week or so now (thanks Rick for merging all the kit and knife threads following a convo was fun... )

Sydney boy with a hankering for the outdoors Spent christmas holidays with farming grandparents when younger and the backyard bush valley on weekends. I just basically prefer nature

I'm working my way up the food chain so I can buy my time back and spend it outside Currently I own a Cafe/Resturant after quitting my (15 years as a ) IT engineer/security guy.

Done mostly overnighters and a stroll along the Overland Trail in Tassie (6-7 Days - Pack in/out everything - no resupplies)

Done a little hunting (roo and goat - never ate any goats though) and generally here to learn.

I know heaps of theory from many sources (years of learning lol) but never had enough time or interested friends to hit the bush with me and practice.

That will change

My EDC is generally a notepad+pen/knife/lighter/camera/phone because I don't travel far or often (always within 5k from home). When I'm out and about I usually add a Ritter kit with knife/multitool/proton/poncho/100' 550 cord/1.5L camelback backpack/filter/food bars to the car/me.

I'm good for a few weeks with food in the pantry (tins of meat/fish/various and rice/beans)

I have a food dehydrator/vacuum bag set when I'm planning a trip but intend to create a reserve of meals. I still need cool storage though.

Temps hit over 45 degrees C here yesterday and 35 in the house (it's just summer) so I'd rather get a decent chest freezer for storage before I spend that much time making meals and watching them go off

Anyways I love everyones input and since I've finished most of the threads I'd better say howdy

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Hello and welcome. Sounds a bit warm - stay safe.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hi! Welcome to the forum!!
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Welcome aboard!
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Welcome to the forum.

Seh:koh: welcome..............
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Welcome to the forum...You hit +45, we are at -38 this morning...just a bit chilly outside.

Cheers all

-38 would be a little chilly You might have to borrow someone's moks
    Never done any snow camping but got close on the Tassie trek (the first night was around 1C after heavy rain).
    I think it was night 4 when we had over 100k/hr gusty winds which knocked a hell of a lot of very old, very tall trees over. One hiker was actually killed by a falling tree that night (not on this trail) and at the next camp area there was another fallen tree about 10 meters or so along a line of tent platforms. I heard they all packed up and slept on the verandah of the lodge (which was already full) so they were very lucky. Guess the leech and mozzie infested swamp we camped on was safer than being near any tree lines.

Welcome, make yourself at home.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

G'day Zilth from SE QLD.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there

Quote Originally Posted by Zilth View Post
    Done a little hunting (roo and goat - never ate any goats though)
    Welcome.

Did you eat the roo? If so, how did you prepare it? What does it taste similar to? Thanks.
    Last edited by rebel; 01-18-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Gday Arsey Good to see some Aussies around here

Roo tastes like... roo I guess Just a little different. A darker flavour than beef with a twist I cant explain. There's no fat so it can get tough if overcooked. We just cut it into strips and fried it up in a pan. Cut thin and lightly seared works best. A touch of salt and it's good to go. Definately good eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilth View Post
    Gday Arsey Good to see some Aussies around here

Roo tastes like... roo I guess Just a little different. A darker flavour than beef with a twist I cant explain. There's no fat so it can get tough if overcooked. We just cut it into strips and fried it up in a pan. Cut thin and lightly seared works best. A touch of salt and it's good to go. Definately good eating.
    Thanks for letting us know. I thought it might taste like squirrel. I had no idea if you made roo steaks, roasts, ribs, etc.

One more question if you don't mind. What's a muzzie?
    Last edited by rebel; 01-19-2009 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    One more question if you don't mind. What's a muzzie?
    That would be the same as Alaska's State bird - aka the Mozzie or Mosquito.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there

Welcome to the forum. My dad was in Sydney in WWII and related a couple of stories.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Benjamin Franklin

Cheers
    That'd be when the two mini subs snuck in and sank a ship or two? They recently found the missing one. Just outside the harbour (or was it inside? lol). They didn't pinpoint it so divers wouldn't come down and disturb it/take stuff. They even made it illegal to dive there.
    Makes sense I guess. Don't tell someone exactly where they can't go and arrest them if they do....

welcome to the forum
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

i can see skewur- roo on the barbie..lol