Thread: Survivalist Books

Default Survivalist Books

Let's put together a good list of books for developing/refining our skills. List books that cover wilderness living, food preservation, plant identification, first aid, etc.

anything by tom brown.

I have found that The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers as well as the Peterson Field Guides titled Edible Wild Plants (Eastern/Central North America) and Medicinal Plants (Eastern/Central) to be very good guide books on how to identify plants for food, medicine, and other uses. I got just about everything Tom Brown wrote, too. Chanticleer Press published the Audobon book and Houghton Mifflin published the Peterson books. These three books have been invaluable to me with the professional color images and detailed information on what it is safe to eat and what is safe to use as medicine. These three books have poisonous plants listed as well with images.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

the complete wilderness training book by hugh mcmanners

Pretty much anything by Euell Gibbons.

the fm series that the military has is good stuff

The U.S Army Survival Guide

I have a good list of web sites if anybody is interested.Contact me at causeyrichard@hotmail.com

marine core wilderness survival manual: , winter , desert, summer, Dl them off limewire, the Best book for wilderness survival in my oppinion is 'camping & wilderness survival' by Paul Tawrelll , it covers prty much Everything

Anything that the Army use you know is good stuff and is worth a look for deffo also if someone you know is good at surviving and they have a book buy that

i like the SAS Survival Guide, look it up in google also the Us Army - Survival Field Manual is packed with good stuff to know

Two main books I find that covers alot of info are:

1.) "Camping & Wilderness Survival" -second edition by Paul Tawrell

2.) "Dare To Prepare" -second edition by Holly Drennan Deyo
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 06-24-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Tom browns books are great, have a few of them. Also-The spotters guide to healing plants. Dorset press. Feasting free on wild edibles- Stackpole books. and the new age herbalist, Collier books. and one more. Exploring the outdoors with Indian secrets also by stackpole books. you might find palliden press or eden press interesting too.

Some other good ones are:-

The Complete Outdoorsman's Handbook - A Guide to Outdoor Living and Wilderness Survival

US Marine Corps MWTC Winter Survival Course Handbook

The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook

Survival-Evasion & Recovery Manual

Survival - Homemade - Traps And Snares

Never Say Die Canadian Survival Manual
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

I have to recommend another book: "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" by John D. McCann. Very interesting book. Tells you how to build custom kits. Personal to vehicle kits. Gives some good overview of products to use in your kits. I have built two kits of my own by using this book. I have tested everything in my kits and they work great. As the author says you need to customize it for yourself and environment. To test out what items you put in the kits. I feel more comfortable with the kits I built. I know the items I put in them and where they are. I highly recommend this book if you want to build your own kit or doing research for buying a pre-made kit.

any book that you can glean a bit of information from is a good book but as the good people in AA say faith without works is dead, so get out there and practicse what you have read

Here is another good read: Medicine for the Outdoors . Great, easy read. Affordable too!

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    any book that you can glean a bit of information from is a good book but as the good people in AA say faith without works is dead, so get out there and practicse what you have read
    +1

Intent is good, knowledge is better and practical experience is golden

Survivalblog
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia