Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Book Thread!

You can also download some of the publications you listed for free......and free is a very good price.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A very good book is; Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why.
    by Laurence Gonzales

Many of the wilderness survival schools ask you to read it.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Banned

cool, thanks. i'll check that one out. and yeah i know you can printout all (most) of the army manuals for free, and that is the best price

I just downloaded to disk, saves paper and cheaper.

Amongst the various publications on first aid, campcraft, knots and Wiseman's SAS survival, in my library i have recently added Surviving the Extremes by Kamler.

Worth a read if you are into medicine and the such

Your choice of Wilderness Survival books makes a bi difference on what you are preparing to survive and what climate you actually live and travel in. Most of the good books are very specific about the geographical area that there techniques are useful in, most of the general books are very poor in comparison.
    Bruce Zawalsky
    Chief Instructor
    Boreal Wilderness Institute
    boreal.net

Bruce, dang it, you gotta stop by here more often. You always offer some good insight. Right on the money.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

"At Home in the Wilderness" by Sun Bear is a classic
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I've read the SAS guide, and it, IMO is far to general. You should look into more specific geographically oriented books. I'm trying to find one on North Georgia now, because that is where I live.

The military survival guides are usually downloadable, which is cool. I have the FM-21 Manual in my pack, and I take it with me on all trips, because it can be folded up. This is rather old however, and the pictures are not that great. For example, the medical section is weak, and can be difficult to understand the images.
    Last edited by atl2ptown; 10-22-2008 at 07:34 PM.

Default The Bushcraft Books

I don't know if you are familiar with Richard Graves but he was quite the survival expert back in the day. He authored a series of 10 books titled, oddly enough, the 10 Bushcraft Books. Here is a place where you can view them on line. If you look just below the list you can download all 10 free in a zip file.

http://tions.net/CA256EA900408BD5/vwWWW/outdoor~03~000
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Rick.

Another great site with good stuff - thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

great job proffessor
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by italia View Post
    SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate
    I have that book and I recommend it to anyone.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
    Facta non verba

Lethality of the 22LR - Actual test
    Honor dies where interest lies

Alot of the books mentioned here can be found on Google books if you want to check them out before buying them. Here's a link for The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive to get you started.

http://books.google.com/books?id=nrQ...result#PPP1,M1

Thanks for the link Bullet Hole. How about shootin on over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As I recall naked into the wilderness was about 2 guys who went into the wods and made debre huts and cought and foraged for food but when they felt like it they would walk home (long wal of several hours and visit their girl friends and buy piza. I understand both are involved with teaching survival some where now.(SORRY WRONG BOOK WAS THINKING OF WILDERNESS SURVIVAL)

I have found any of the books by Bradford Angers to be very good if slightly dated.
    Last edited by HOP; 11-09-2008 at 05:52 PM.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

i have the guide book for marines, and a army survival field manuel a few others but basically the same.
    evil prevails...

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IMO it doesn't really matter which book or how many you read unless you spend a fair amount of time practicing. Also be realistic about what "survival situation" you'll likely find yourself in - it will be in a large part determined by the equipment that you always carry with you.
    So I'd look into putting together the equipment side of things first and then go from there to learn the skills supplementing the gear you have; once that is looking good, read up on extra info to be even more prepared in case you part with your survival gear. That way you don't clutter up your brain with stuff like which herb to forage for to cure snake bites, you start with what's practical to you personally and build on that.
    Actions speak louder than words

I'm sure I overlooked it, but the Foxfire books are full of knowledge. I know they're not a survival guide per say, but they are IMO timeless.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan