Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Book Thread!

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

while poking around a second hand book store
    i picked up a SAS FlickBook for $1:50

i've taken it apart and kept about 40% of it ( plants, etc )
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

i just got the bigger version a couple of weeks ago. it has a lot of good information. reminds me of my boyscout book haha.

Here is a link to the newest online version (2002) U.S Army Field Manual 3-05.70 Survival

http://www.equipped.com/fm3-0570.htm

Here is the newer (1999) Version of the MULTISERVICE PROCEDURES FOR SURVIVAL, EVASION, AND RECOVERY Manual in PDF

http://www.equipped.com/multiservice...anual_1999.pdf
    Last edited by Gray Wolf; 07-06-2008 at 11:01 PM.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

i have at least 40 to 50 survival books i have 2 of the sas survival books one is the one that you all are talking about and the second one is the sas desert survival book it si a good one
    i am the one who stole the frigg'n cookie from the cookie jar. Now shutup!

I have it too and agreed -a lot of useful information in a small package.

I just loaded the new version of FM 21-76 (fm3-0570) to my library. If anyone wants a copy, have at.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is the copy I have of the book Rick,take it out with me whenever I go out to the woods.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I have one of those, got it a year ago, I've read it about 4 times now, front to back =S

hi guys
    hi guys

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I picked up this manual yesterday at the book store for $7.00 US.

It's smaller in size from the original manual. It appears to have the same contents as the larger manual just smaller print. The dimensions are 3 1/4" X 4 1/5".

I think it will make an excellent carry manual due to it's size and contents.
    There is also the U.S. Army Survival Field Manual 3-05.70 Printed in 2002 and you can read it free online at: http://www.survivalebooks.com/survivalfm3-0570.html

Why buy one when you can get one free and print it in a small format and take it with you.

James

Welcome to the forum Jameswoodsman. Why not go over to the Introduction section and tell us something about yourself? We've talked about free military manuals quite a bit on here and posted a number of URLs where they can be downloaded including several in this thread.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Survival Books by Don Paul

Anybody familiar with these besides me? Don Paul is a retired Green Beret who writes and publishes his own books:

http://www.survival-books.com/

I first learned about them when I spotted an early version of "Everybody's Outdoor Survival Guide" in a prop photograph from ABC's Lost. I've read several of his books, and I've found them very enjoyable.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

I bought one of his books via catalog many years ago - it was nearly worthless to me. But of course that all depends upon your level of experience and what you are looking for.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Do you remember which book?

In what way was it worthless? Was it all stuff you already knew?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Here's a link of the survival (psychology) books written.

http://www.equipped.com/books.htm#survivalpsychology
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Banned

Question Survival guide books

I'm just an average joe, and i am looking to buy a couple of good wilderness survival books. I wanted to know from you experienced people on what would be the best books to buy. I was looking on amazon.com and saw a few that i might get. SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea by John Lofty Wiseman, US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76 by Department of Defense, and Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills: Naked into the Wilderness by John McPherson and Geri McPherson. Would you recommend any of these? I have common sense when it comes to survival, but i never been in any kind of situation that calls for it. So i guess i would be a beginner. Thanks for the help

I've never read any of those, so I can't answer that. Tom Brown Jr.'s books are great and Cody Lundin's 98.6 The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive was pretty good. If you look back through some of the other threads, I'm sure this topic has been covered.
    By the way, don't forget to go to the intro thread and tell us about yourself, and welcome.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Well done chiye tanka.

italia,using the search function on the forum will bring up some very good threads on books.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned

Thanks, i will look into that. I did read some reviews on the 98.6 book and i was told it was more for search and rescue people, but that's just what the review said. I will checkout the intro thread too. Peace

Blog Entries

Cool Yo, italia...

Quote Originally Posted by italia View Post
    Thanks, i will look into that. I did read some reviews on the 98.6 book and i was told it was more for search and rescue people, but that's just what the review said. I will checkout the intro thread too. Peace
    Check out the blogs, here's one of mine on Cody Lundin's book, & yes, there has been many posts on this topic.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...blog.php?u=296

Check it out!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin