Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Book Thread!

A great story of survival is Lone Survivor, about SEAL Team 6 in Afghanistan in 2005. Amazing story of survival. My hat's off to those guys, along with the others who serve(d) our country.

Stephen Ambrose, the "Band of Brothers" guy, wrote a great biography of Lewis and Clark's expedition. It is called Undaunted Courage. These pioneers made their own clothing, housing, boats, etc. Only one man died on the journey, and that was in the winter before the expedition set out.

Sir Ernest Shackleton was captain of the Endurance when it was stuck in an iceflow for about a year in Antarctica back in 1916 or so. They abandoned ship, lived on the ice, killed seals and penguins. Over the 18 months they were lost, not a man died, and all made it safely back. There have been several books written about this event. A huge bonus, the ship's photographer disobeyed orders and did not leave his camera and film behind like he was told. They have great pictures from this disaster.
    Last edited by Aurelius95; 05-19-2008 at 10:02 PM.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Default Pics of the Endurance

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

awesome pics!

Blog Entries

LTLG -- The book is titled SHACKLETON. It's also available in a 4 videotape boxed collection, by A&E. (AAE-18418 to AAE-18421).
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Default book

My favorite series is by William Johnstone called " The last Mountain Man", and also anything by Louis Lamour.

Another vote for Johnstone here. I like his "Ashes" series. Also his stand alone books Breakdown, Last Rebel Survivor, Remember the Alamo, Invasion USA, Last of the Dog Team, Return of the Dog Team, Hunted and many more.
    Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer a street level pharmacist.

Visit my Myspace preparedness page at: http://www.myspace.com/preparingfortheworst

Last of the Dog Team is a great book. There is no telling how many times I have read it. William Johnstone passed away a few years ago and his family is still to this day releasing books that he had written over the years. The Last Mountain Man series is a 31 book series. So with all of his books you will definetly be entertained for a while. Hope you all enjoy.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Dan View Post
    My favorite are cookbooks from the great depression and WWII. Some pretty inventive stuff to make when you have very little. This might become a very popular genre if food prices continue to climb.

I have Grandma's wartime kitchen. Which is a modern collecton of WWII thrifty and ration cooking. A search of it on Amzon will bring up a slew.
    Very Good Idea! I especially enjoy American classics. The time period you have spoken of sound very interesting, I need to look into it more.

Here's a couple of cookbooks I've found interesting:

"HOW TO FEED AN ARMY" Recipes and lore from the front lines
    by J. G. Lewin & P. J. Huff

"THE LEWIS & CLARK COOKBOOK"
    Historic recipes from the corps of discovery and Jefferson's America
    by Leslie Mansfield
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Hey! Welcome back PGV. We missed you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Plants/animals: Discovering wild plants by Janice Schofield, Prescription for herbal healing by Phyllis Balch, Secret go the wolves by RD Lawrence, The Alaskan mushroom hunters guide by Guild, Vanhoesen
    Wilderness living/travel: Diary of a wilderness dweller by Chris Czajkowski, Arctic Dreams by Barry Lopez, Into the great solitude by Robert Perkins, Wilderness seasons by Ian and Sally Wilson, Descent into madness by Vernon Frolick, Wintering by Diana Kappel-Smith, Tundra by Farley Mowat
    Fiction: anything by Margaret Atwood, Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier, The piano man's daughter by Timothy Findley
    Actions speak louder than words

I'm illiterate
    "That's not drunk driving; I'll show ya drunk driving!"

Carl Hiassen--Sick Puppy. Sorry Flavor Bear I don't think you can get one with illustrations.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Or to color.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Default The Final Frontiersman

I just finished reading "The Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell. It is printed by Atria books. This is what is written on the back cover.

Hundreds of hardy people have tried to carve a living in the Alaskan bush, but few have succeeded as consistently as Heimo Korth. Originally form Wisconsin, Heimo traveled to the Arctic wilderness in his feverous twenties. Now, more then three decades later, Heimo lives with his wife and two daughters approximately 200 miles from civilization -- a sustainable, nomadic life bounded by the migrating caribou, the dangers of swollen rivers, and by the very exigencies of daily existence. The Korths wait patiently for a small plane to deliver their provisions, listen to distant chatter on the radio, and go sledding at 44 below zero -- all the while cultivating their hard-learned survival skills that stand between them and a terrible fate.

This is a very good book. I believe it accurately describes how hard it is to live in the bush and why there are so few people doing it.

I met Heimo once briefly a few years ago when he was in Fairbanks. This was before I read about him in the Alaska trapper magazine when he was voted "Trapper of the year". One day I would love to visit with the man. I found this book on the shelves at my local Fred Meyers. I recognized the name and bought the book. I'm glad I did.
    Last edited by klkak; 05-27-2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flavor Bear View Post
    I'm illiterate
    I though your parents were married?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    I though your parents were married?
    Yeah, but they're cousins.

the frist surviva type book i ever read was, How to get out of the rat race and live on $10 a month, by George and Berthe Herter. wasn't Herters a big outfitter back in the day? are they still around? i glanced through the book the other night and it seemed a little corny for the present day.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with Back to Basics.
    But I thought I should bring it to the attention of those who are not.
    It's got instructions for an unbelievable amount of low-tech ways of living off the land. Shows how to build cabins with hand tools, plumbing from natural sources, in-depth gardening, as well as lots of old fashioned recipes including the best peach turnovers I have ever had.

I have the SAS survival handbook. It's great but is a little bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin Pilot View Post
    I just downloaded the entire thing as the original book file. A lot easier that way. But that's illegal (I think) so I'm not gonna elaborate on it.
    FM 21-76 is a U.S. government publication and is therefore public property and in the public domain.. Free to download and legal.