Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Book Thread!

Here is a link to a Army surplus site that has Books and Manuals

https://www.mysticarmynavy.com/secti...out=500&ID=340

I wish my son had not have taken my Improvised Munitions FM. That was a good read.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf2u2 View Post
    I wish my son had not have taken my Improvised Munitions FM. That was a good read.

Don
    I scanned mine and made a pdf file out of it. If you'll msg me and let me know how, I'll share.

you can send me whatever. ill take anything

Default SAS Survival Guide

I picked up this manual yesterday at the book store for $7.00 US.

It's smaller in size from the original manual. It appears to have the same contents as the larger manual just smaller print. The dimensions are 3 1/4" X 4 1/5".

I think it will make an excellent carry manual due to it's size and contents.
    Last edited by rebel; 05-05-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I picked up this manual yesterday at the book store for $7.00 US.

It's smaller in size from the original manual. It appears to have the same contents as the larger manual just smaller print. The dimensions are 3 1/4" X 4 1/5".

I think it will make an excellent carry manual due to it's size and contents.
    I own a few of those, I put them in all my bags, and packs. I also have the full size one, and a few others. Very useful.

I got a tiny black one give to me by an old staff sergeant (Who was actually SAS).

Its completely battered but it still damn useful.

There is also another SAS survival manual you might consider.. it is "SAS Essential Survival" by Barry Davies BEM. Lewis International Inc. publisher. It is narrower and thinner but fits nicely into a backpack.. He is also from the same SAS training school. It has a lot of the same information.. plus some more and actual pictures of proceedures and equipment.

DUDE!!!!!!!! no way i got the same book a week ago

really good book

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

I've heard of this book before. I figure I'll get it for myself. Prob download it first to glance through, before I actually buy it

The US Army has a survival guide as well that this website is completely based off of. I forget what it's called, but I have it somewhere.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Fm 21-76 Us Army Survival Manual
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's the one!

Ready, Set, Download!!! http://www.wilderness-survival.net/

I just downloaded the entire thing as the original book file. A lot easier that way. But that's illegal (I think) so I'm not gonna elaborate on it.

Default The Official Book Thread

I know there are many threads and posts with some of your favorite book titles in them, lets get them all together. What say you?
    How about a couple of different categories?

1. Survival skills/equipment
    - 98.6 degrees "the art of keeping your *** alive" by Cody Lundin, SAS survival guide and mental endurance guide, Backpacker Magazine puts out some informative books on trekking, backpacking and camp cooking, Tom Brown's guides, When Technology fails by Mathew Stein, The Complete Tracker by Len McDougall,

2. Survival stories-
    Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales, Stuff by Spike Walker,

3. Primitive skills and how to-The Alaskan Bootleggers Bible by Leon Kania,One Man's Wilderness by Keith Proenneke, Root Cellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel, Building the Alaska Log Home by Tom Walker,

4. Fiction-Tenderfoot Trapper by Arthur Catherall, Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, Dean Koontz stuff is good for a light read, Books by Neil Gaiman, Jack London, Mark Twain,

5. I also like reading about hidden history and lost civilizations non fiction- Anything by Graham Hancock

These are just a few to get us started. My Amazon wish list reads like an inventory for the Library of Congress!

Let's seem some titles and authors folks .
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

anything by louis lamour and if ya'll ever read them he has some great bushcraft knowledge in them which would have been useful in those times.
    alos anything by edward abbey, can't say enough about da man
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

My Side of the Mountain
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Doesn't have anything to do with wilderness, or survival, but my two favorite books of all time would be:
    Jude the Obscure-Thomas Hardy
    The Sun Also Rises-Ernest Hemingway

One of my favorite books was "Thunder Below" by Eugene Flukey. He was a submarine skipper in WWII who changed the way tactics were used. He was awarded the Medal of Honor while he was on the USS Barb. I had a chance to meet him before he passed away. Truely an amazing man.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My favorite are cookbooks from the great depression and WWII. Some pretty inventive stuff to make when you have very little. This might become a very popular genre if food prices continue to climb.

I have Grandma's wartime kitchen. Which is a modern collecton of WWII thrifty and ration cooking. A search of it on Amzon will bring up a slew.