Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Book Thread!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Dogman, You might like a book: Shadows on the Koyukuk. It is about the Huntington brothers, they were dog mushers. It has several survival events that are painful to read but documented. For any members who think there is a line as to what they would eat or do, it is a painful revealing account of suffering and hardship few have ever known.

Blog Entries

You might also like "The Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell

It is the story of Heimo Korth and His Family, who lives more remotely than any other person in Alaska" as one of only seven hunter-trappers with a permit to live in the 19.5-million-acre Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). Korth lives with his wife and two daughters 130 miles above the Arctic Circle.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

You might also like "The Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell

It is the story of Heimo Korth and His Family, who lives more remotely than any other person in Alaska" as one of only seven hunter-trappers with a permit to live in the 19.5-million-acre Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). Korth lives with his wife and two daughters 130 miles above the Arctic Circle.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Other great books of that period: "Born on Snowshoes", by: Evelyn Berkland Shore.....a great read for women. She might have been the toughest human to ever live. Great read.

Many of the characters that Jack London fictionalized were real people who's factual accounts are in "Kantishna" by: Tom Walker (Lots of Dog Mushing in that book) It is the natural sequel to Burning Daylight

Blog Entries

I just read this entire sticky...now when I blink my eyes I see the words:

"Army Field Manual"

Artic Homestead by Norma Cobb & Charles W Sasser
    Mushing

My lead dog was a lesbian by Brian Patrick O'Donoghue
    AAAA**** Yukon Alone By John Balzar " The worlds toughest adventure race" Great read

We've always used John Wiseman's "The SAS Survival Handbook". It has a lot more in it than the book issued to him in the military...that's for sure. We were told by a friend to get "How to Survive Anything, Anywhere" by Chris McNab...but honestly it's just a rip-off of Wiseman's book...and isn't remotely as detailed.

I went out a few weeks ago and got the Peterson Field Guides Edible Wild Plants for Eastern/Central North America by Lee Allen Peterson.
    It's...okay. Lots of great information...no medicinal or VERY little. Most of the pictures of the plants are drawings...and as many of you know...that just doesn't cut it when you aren't sure what they look like. It's not a BAD purchase...I'm getting a lot of knowledge from it...but it's not the BEST purchase. I knew most of the plants listed...
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

I recently read The zombie survival guide by Max Brooks, There is actually a lot of good survival info in a fun read.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I recently read The zombie survival guide by Max Brooks, There is actually a lot of good survival info in a fun read.
    Yep!!! If I have one unrealistic fear...it would be a zombie attack!! (man...those things are gross, can run, and EAT YOU!! Who wouldn't find that to be a bit more than freaky??) I shall have to obtain this book for my library so I may be prepared for the inevitable attack! Thank you Welderguy!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Your welcome Trabitha
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I finished a book by Joseph Boyden called Three Day Road

About two natives from Northern Ontario who go off to fight in WWI. Talks about some wild times in the trenches of the war and how they struggle with the paradoxes of the two worlds they are living in.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

just picked up another " edible plants " book

my 2nd book from Lone Pine Publishing

GREAT COLOR PICTURES

http://www.amazon.ca/Edible-Medicina.../dp/1551055724 Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    Time for me to eat Crow.... OK after looking at Gregory Davenports book Wilderness Survival it is better than what I had originally thought. Although I still would classify it as introductory,it is better than I had thought when "Glancing through it". Just goes to show the old adage "Don't judge a book by it's cover (or when flipping through it), Is as true today as it was when it was coined!!
    I have to add the rest of the pics here...
    That is good to hear because I just ordered that book used off of Amazon for $5 shipped. Awhile back I downloaded various Marine/Navy/Army manuals covering a range of topics. I have not read any yet but seeing as how many of you say they are good starting points I think I will try and read a few this weekend.
    "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."-Ronald Reagan

Anything by Ray Mears he is the King of Bushcraft IMHO
    A Government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take it all away when it wants.
    Thomas Jefferson

Neither your Liberty, your money, nor your property are safe while Congress is in Session.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrnstrong View Post
    My favorite series is by William Johnstone called " The last Mountain Man", and also anything by Louis Lamour.
    I agree +1
    A Government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take it all away when it wants.
    Thomas Jefferson

Neither your Liberty, your money, nor your property are safe while Congress is in Session.

I emailed John Branson a while back about the possibility of any more of Dick Proenneke's journals being published. Mr Branson was the editor of "More Readings From One Man's Wilderness: The Journals of Richard L. Proenneke, 1974-1980".
    I received his reply today:
    Hi Pete, there is a new volume of Richard's verbatim journals in the
    offing. The manuscript is with the non-profit publisher Alaska Geographic
    Association with a publication date in the summer of 2011. The title is:
    RICHARD L. PROENNEKE OF TWIN LAKES, ALASKA, THE EARLY YEARS 1967-1973. The
    book is 500 pages and very much like my first volume of edited Proenneke
    Journals.
    Thank you for your interest in Lake Clark National Park and Preserve and
    Richard Proenneke.
    John Branson
    Park Historian
    I am looking forward to this volume coming out.

Default On a SHTF tear

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle--reading right now

3 other books in waiting:
    * Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
    * Earth Abides by George R. Stewart
    * Lights Out by David Crawford

After this, I'll be ready for some Grisham.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle--reading right now

3 other books in waiting:
    * Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
    * Earth Abides by George R. Stewart
    * Lights Out by David Crawford

After this, I'll be ready for some Grisham.
    Ok, Benesse, how did you like Lucifer's Hammer? I am borrowing it from the library now, and I'm having a hard time with it. 100 pages into and it's just not holding my attention. Should I finish it, or start with something else?

I have read Lights Out - good book. Entertaining and useful. I have Earth Abides on my waiting list at the library, but haven't heard of Alas, Babylon. Any good?

Thanks in advance!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Stick w/Lucifer's Hammer, A.
    It is tedious at first, til you get through this comet observation stuff. Once TSHTF, it gets interesting fast.

The Wind

I'm new to this forum.

My 'skill' is that I went cross-country by bicycle, twice (8800 miles total, a year and four months of camping total) and am preparing for my third trip.

I've been amassing a gigantic library of survival books and information. I will be bringing a netbook along with me and have rigged-up a solar panel charging system so that will be possible.

My library will be contained on two 32GB MicroSD cards.

Some books elude me, though. It's hard to get everything on PDF, DOC, MP4 etc.

However, in my months of searching I've found some solid sites which let me find stuff that I thought you guys might find interesting.

For PDF books I like http://www.pdf4me.net/

For hard-to-find PDF Books I like http://ebookee.org/ It will bring you to various sites to find hard to find things.

For really hard-to-find stuff I use http://www.4shared.com You wait 20 seconds to 5 minutes but it's worth it.

My favorite Torrent Search engine is http://torrentz.eu

Here's a good listing of various torrent search engines, though:

C:\Program Files\TopTorrentEngines\Torrent.htm

However, my favorite individual site is http://bitsnoop.com/

They tend to always have the book, have a short delay, no viruses and you just click the fourth link every time (no hunting for the link).

Well, got to go go work now. Thought those links might be helpful.