Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Book Thread!

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow...yeah they don't make 'em like that anymore.

And I can't speak for Nell but I'd probably be off your wonder-woman list pretty quick if you met me in person ;-)
    Actions speak louder than words

Gee, funny that nobody has mentioned the SAS Survival Guide yet!

I recently read Tappan on Survival. It's quite a bit dated in the technology area (hard to beleive guns were ever that cheap, and he's complaining about thier cost!) and it's got that old "they're gonna nuke us any second now" cold war perspective, but as long as you keep in mind that it was written in the 70's, I still think Mel offers some good tips that are still applicable.

Has anyone here read The Freedom Outlaw's Handbook by Claire Wolfe? That's a good one.

Atlas Shrugged.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Trust me. You haven't seen his list.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Atlas Shrugged.
    This. And The Fountainhead.

i picked up The Adventures of Tom Sawyer again. last time i read it was in high school. i really like the book, so thought i give it another read.
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Atlas Shrugged.
    Be John Galt or end up Eddie Willers. Great book.

I'm reading Where There's No Doctor.

I'm now reading the Zombie Survival Guide.....
    Prepared enough.

I could use another copy if you still have it.

Blog Entries

Cool Here's some pics...

...of books that should be on your shelf:
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Man, I wish I'da kept my old Boy scout book.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingearth View Post
    i have the army survival manual if anyone but FVR wants it :} hit me up. PDF format
    I also have a very interesting book in PDF format which I think people would have to email me and I would have to send it by email for any to get it.

The book is called "The $50 and Up Underground House Book" by Mike Oehler

I stayed almost two months with Mike O on his forty acre place in N Idaho in 1986 helping him plant a garden, cut, split and stack a year' worth of firewood and digging a fallout shelter in his larger $2,000 underground house.

Not sure if he is even alive anymore, maybe anyone near Bonners Ferry, Idaho knows?

So with what you all were saying I gathered a list on what books I'm looking at buying, here is my amazon list so far . .

SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea by John Wiseman

SAS Survival Guide Handbook by John Wiseman

98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your *** Alive by Cody Lundin

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales

Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival​Skills: Naked into the Wilderness by John McPherson

The Complete Tracker by Len McDougall

One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey by Richard Proenneke, Sam Keith

Camping & Wilderness Survival: The Ultimate Outdoors Book by Paul Tawrell

Primitive Technology: A Book of Earth Skills by David Wescott

I also added the the film Alone in the Wilderness directed by Dick Proenneke.

I also created another list with Neil Gaiman, Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain and a few others. . . books like, The Sun Also Rises, Neverwhere: A Novel, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Call of the Wild, The Stand by Stephen King, and so on.

Any other I should add on to this list?

For what you are seeking I would add a few others that are more instructional/informational in nature. A few books on edible and medicinal plants, a book titled Back To Basics - A Complete Guide To Traditional Skills It covers buying and working land, generating your own energy, raising livestock, gardening, different skills that are useful.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A few books on edible and medicinal plants
    Thanks crash I added a couple more books from what you said

Discovering Wild Plants: Alaska, Western Canada, The Northwest by Janice Schofield Eaton

North American Mushrooms: A Field Guide to Edible and Inedible Fungi by Orson K. Miller

A Field Guide to Western Reptiles and Amphibians (Peterson Field Guide Series) by Robert C. Stebbins
    Last edited by TheSunling; 01-10-2010 at 10:31 AM.

That's an excellent mushroom book, but I'd get a couple more if i were going to seriously try to ID and eat them. National Audubon Society has a "field guide to north american mushrooms", very good book. And, for your area or perhaps a little north of you, "Mushrooms Demystified" by David Arora is an excellent book. He has a few books I believe and most are focused in California.

Also, I'd look into a tree ID book. If you know your trees and their habitats it goes along way into finding shrooms, plants, animals, shelter, cordage, containers, fire starting material, food, etc. My tree books are all focused in or around Michigan.

Larry Dean Olsen has a book "outdoor survival skills". It has a Western USA focus. It's a pretty good book. I don't know that it teaches precise survival skills in detail, but the stories and insight he gives make it well worth reading.

Much thanks rwc, I've added . .

Trees of North America: A Guide to Field Identification by C. Frank Brockman

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms by Gary Lincoff

Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora

Nature of Southeast Alaska: A Guide to Plants, Animals, and Habitats by Robert H. Armstrong, Rita M. O'Clair

Alot of reading to do . . . already 16 books.

Blog Entries

I have the Tom Brown Jr. collection on Wilderness Survival, Tracking, and Plants. I also have my Ranger Handbook and the SF Survival Guide.
    Currently reading "Through So Many Dangers the Memoir's of Robert Kirkland" he was a 42nd Highland Regiment Soldier throughout the French & Indian War and was even a captive, he tells of his survival for several weeks in wilderness of the Ohio Country.
    Also the Journal of Major Robert Rogers is a great source for survival skills the old fashioned way.
    Also I have Survival Skills of the North American Indians Second Edition by Peter Goodchild, a great read.
    Also Survival Arts of the Primitive Paiutes by Margaret M. Wheat
    and one of my favorites The Tracker's Field Guide: A Comprehensive Field Guide for Tracking in the United States by James C. Lowery
    and Tactical Tracking Operations: The Essential Guide for Military and Police Tracker by David Scott-Donelan.

Just a few of my collection and favorites.

Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Dogman, You might like a book: Shadows on the Koyukuk. It is about the Huntington brothers, they were dog mushers. It has several survival events that are painful to read but documented. For any members who think there is a line as to what they would eat or do, it is a painful revealing account of suffering and hardship few have ever known.