Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you are going to DIE in 48 Hours...Spend 11 Hrs. TV

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default If you are going to DIE in 48 Hours...Spend 11 Hrs. TV

People spend 5 1/2 hours per day watching TV. If you were clear you had 48 hours to live .....would you invest 11 of those hours watching TV.

About 7 to 12 people per day contact me wanting a cabin in the wilderness. And it is always the same, no money or not much money.

When I was young we worked hard physical labor at a full time job, and most men worked 3 or 5 hours per night part-time job.

Why not split wood 5 1/2 hours per day after dinner, you'll sleep well, wake refreshed, sell the wood for profit, use the profit to make payments on a cabin or remote land.

Yea, I know 5 1/2 hours of TV sounds easier than 5 1/2 hours of work.

You are going to DIE......and you have "X" amount of hours to spend being alive, Invest wisely.

I agree with you totally. And I am so guilty of doing that. That's about how much I watch. And what's sad about it is when I was deployed I never watched TV never even had the urge to. Of course I could blame my addiction to; nothing better to do. It's cold outside, I can't cut wood because I live on base. But in fact there is plenty I could do. The same could be said about the internet too. I spend more time online than I do watching TV. I belong to 10 different forums plus have myspace and email to check, most is personal but some is work related. I doubt that will ever change for me, what a wasted life I will live.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

You make a point with that Hopeak, there are alot of people who would rather waste their time/life away watching tv rather than being productive. I aint totally innocent either, there are days where i cant seem to get going and I can sit in front of the tv for hours.I always feel more physically drained and tired from sitting around then i would being active and productive throughout the day.

When I moved to Detroit in June I decided to only get internet. I was being cheap but boy did I notice a difference without TV! I'd say don't cut back on TV, just cut the cable (literally)! Everything on TV is online now (ABC, FOX, CBC, CNN, Comedy Central, etc) so if you get an itch you can always hop on for a half hour. But because the next show isn't going to follow back-to-back, you'll have less of an urge to stick around and waste another hour.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorMan002 View Post
    You make a point with that Hopeak, there are alot of people who would rather waste their time/life away watching tv rather than being productive. I aint totally innocent either, there are days where i cant seem to get going and I can sit in front of the tv for hours.I always feel more physically drained and tired from sitting around then i would being active and productive throughout the day.
    As I told you I was raised in Exton, Pa. on Church Farm School on route 30, my dad worked as assistant dairy herdsman. He got up at 3:45 AM off at 4:30 PM, he did not come home but went straight to the Gas station he worked at 5:PM till 9:PM

We did not have a TV, we had a party phone line with 10 parties on the same line. Our ring was three long and two short. I think we got a TV in the early 60's. And we spent more time replacing Tubes than watching TV

Partner, if I was clear that I only had 48 hours to live, I probably wouldn't spend 5 1/2 of them chopping wood either
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

how are you supposed to surf the internet, if the t.v. is not on at the same time

Spend time with my wife, son and daughter in law
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

When I was stationed at the Naval Submarine Base Bangor, Washington one of the tv stations (KOMO) was doing a live shot near the base. They were saying to people "Since this is an obvious target of the Soviets, what would you do if you knew that a nuclear strike was about to occur here?" One 78 year old gentleman said it best...."My wife and I (she was with him for the interview) would go into our home, and share some time together one last time."

Note: Not quite the words he used, they scrambled to take the live shot off the air.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thats a good point, Every second you spend watching Tv is a second less of your life that you could be doing something useful.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    You are going to DIE......and you have "X" amount of hours to spend being alive, Invest wisely.
    Hey, what are you even doing here? Shouldn't you be off splitting wood, or something?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

If you were clear you had 48 hours to live....

I would drink coffee with caffeine ( I am a closet wild man) and use real sugar in it. Chase wild women (not sure why, but seems a good idea). Then sit back on my porch with a bit of brandy, light my pipe and watch the clouds flowing by while listening to music.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

The question, although hypothetical is very realistic. Blah, blah, blah.

What I'm trying to say, you are the head of the family, you work 12 hour days, you make alot of money. You make some of your kids functions, but mom takes care of most because you are the main money earner and need to be to live in the big house, drive the "in" expensive cars and suvs.

You're on your death bed, do you think of all that money you made and all your toys, or do you think of what a waste of life you had because you missed your kids growing up.

So, sell the big house and move into a moderate one. Sell the "in" cars and suvs and get a few that are a half or qtr the cost. Take a less demanding job and spend more time with your kids and wife.

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............just ramblings of an arshole.

Well Frank, I've said it before...that makes two of us...arseholes that is. Your post makes perfect sense to me. Like the old saying "I've never heard anyone on his deathbed wish that he'd spent more time at work".
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

And I guess my point is that the internet is perhaps an even greater potential time-waster than television. I know I waste a lot more time here than I do watching TV, and I bet quite a few of my fellow members are in the same boat.

But on top of that, I think part of the reason we are here on this earth is to enjoy life. That being the case, certainly I am going to spend some time doing things that I enjoy. That includes both internetting, and watching TV!
    Last edited by sgtdraino; 01-13-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Default sigh..remy, remy, remy

Well stated friend. Ironically, the two examples that I always like, I learned from watching movies.

In the movie "Missing" Tommy Lee Jones tells his estranged daughter a legend about an Apache man who comes out of his lodge and sees a hawk on a limb. The hawk takes off and the man starts to follow it. He never goes home again. When he meets his wife in the afterlife she asks why he never came home and he replies "well...that hawk just kept flyin'"

In the Last Samurai, the head samurai (whose name I can never get right) tells Tom Cruise that one could spend his life looking for the perfect cherry blossom "and it would not be a wasted life" Then, when he's dying and the cherry blossoms are whirling around him he tells Cruise "they are all perfect."

Both stories make perfect sense to me in terms of what you said "how well we do...."

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remy View Post
    In the end, how ironic it is to come on the net, to write that watching TV is a waste of time ?.
    In the end, how ironic it is that one man breathes clean pure fresh mountain AIR, while heating with firewood, And another breathes yellow/brown toxic smog while heating and cooling with cleaner fuel.....

Overall I agree with you, Remy. People should be responsible for making conscious choices.

Trax, "Out of Africa" Dennis Fitch'hatten, played by Robert Redford, "I don't want to get to the end of MY life, and discover I have lived someone Else's idea of what life should be".
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-13-2009 at 03:54 PM.

cold blooded

id grab the weapons and go rogue!!!!!
    lazy days!!!!!

i have quoted this before brandon lee in the crow his interveiw afterwards, brandon says" how many more times will you watch a full moon rise, how many more times will you remember an intrgal part of your childhood, people think of life as in inexhaustable well and it all seems so limitless." that is not verbaitum but you get the idea
    also mr henry david theroux "i went to the woods because i wished to live delibritley to see if i could not learn from what it had to teach and not, when it came time to die< to dicover that i had not learned
    wife and i dissagree on what to turn off- i say tv she says computer, but i learn allot with this thing can't on the tv, but it helps relax her, and i'll give her credit she works very hard and barely relaxes so i like to see her sit down every now and then. I have dial up and needed to stay off the computer from 9 am to 9 pm waiting for a phone call for two days, i realized that i am addicted to this site kept bothering me, i'd think oh i'll post this thread or i thought of a good reply for another thread- that is very sad to me that i have gotten this bad when two years ago i couldn't even turn the dang thing on
    i onced asked someone if you had 2 months to live what would you do?
    what regret in life do you have?
    what do you wish you had done?
    why are you not doing any of the above?
    now those answers come with some responsibility i am not saying just throw caution to the wind forget your responsibilities but why are you not doing what makes you happy and remember what is important in your life?
    Last edited by wareagle69; 01-14-2009 at 07:51 AM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it's good to keep in mind that you never know when your time will be up. Although it's impractical to live your life as if you only had a few more weeks or whatever (who'd bother with the daily chores and many other things essential for longterm existence) - I've always felt I won't live to an old age. And if I do, I don't want to be one of those people who have missed out on most things they really wanted to do because they felt compelled to have a career and accumulate shiny new things. I'd rather be financially poor and otherwise rich, so when the time comes my main regret will be that I don't have a few more days...months...years.
    Actions speak louder than words