Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chicken questions.

Is she married? If not, I think we have just the guy for her.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

dont you dare...
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

back to chickens, can they be let loose in a 5 acre semi wooded area and survive without feed?

I have a dozen of so chickens on total free range they only use maybe a couple acres. As long as you have grasses, weeds and bugs in those woods your fine. Chickens will eat anything. Just keep in mind if they are loose you will spend alot of time practicing for the easter egg hunts. Mine lay in the coop for a while and then get bored and lay in some crazy spot, like the back of my truck.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Chickens like meat, so any road kill or guts, etc.

Those "Vile" Turkeys will kill each other and eat the dead bird.

I have fun watching the ermine (weasels) steal the goose eggs, then roll them up a plank and push them off to crack them. Last winter I accidently hit the wood pile with the plowtruck and 10 ermine exploded everywhere.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 05-17-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    I have a dozen of so chickens on total free range they only use maybe a couple acres. As long as you have grasses, weeds and bugs in those woods your fine. Chickens will eat anything. Just keep in mind if they are loose you will spend alot of time practicing for the easter egg hunts. Mine lay in the coop for a while and then get bored and lay in some crazy spot, like the back of my truck.
    "huney you start the burn barrel?"
    "yes, you cookin chicken for din?"
    "no, why?"

To answer the original question. I'm in mid Missouri currently running about 25 laying hans of various breeds. I have a leanto set up for chicken house. No lights and get between 7-18 eggs per day. The lights don't affect egg laying as rumored... chickens lay an egg every 25-30 hours depending on breed. Now on that note.... the cold and heat will affect egg laying. In winter they lay less eggs and during summer same as well. As stated in a previous comment they go though a molt stage once a year and in the molting stage you will not get an egg from the ones molting. Also if your raising them for eggs. DO NOT let them sit on the eggs if you get a sitter they go broody and don't lay for about a month.

The lights have to be broad spectrum to simulate natural daylight (the same as when force cycling a mare for early breeding)

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsiepop254 View Post
    The lights have to be broad spectrum to simulate natural daylight (the same as when force cycling a mare for early breeding)

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    Nope, or at least my hens didn't care that I only used plain old heat lamps or el cheap-o solar powered lights, their eye sight is so poor in dim to no light that any artificial light IS sunlight to them. Takes a few days for it to kick in if you have not used a light and then suddenly add one to the coop.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Mine don't even lay if I'm looking at them lol.
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsiepop254 View Post
    Mine don't even lay if I'm looking at them lol.
    Anal-retentive chickens,LOL. I have seen them walk across the yard, dip down mid stride as if sitting down, deposit an egg and go on about their business.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I've done the same thing a time or two. Mine is an age problem though.

Hot water in the feed?? I have never heard of that one,my chickens are still free range,but I am supplementing that with feed now that winter has set on,will have to give that a try and see how it works out!

Here's a new subject:

If I let my chickens free-range, they eat all the cat poop in the yard. They seem to go into a feeding frenzy for fresh stuff.

This bothers me on some level, considering that I've heard that eggs will take on the flavor of garlic or onions if you feed the chickens enough of it.

Any comment?
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Maybe it isn't really the cat poop they are eating.
    Checked the cat for worms lately?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I try not to pay too close attention to the feeding habits or farm animals or pets. Free range poultry and swine will eat most anything, including each other. If the chicken get too close to the hog it happens very fast and permanent.

On the flip side. Whenever it was hog killing day the chickens were an absolute menace. They'd have to be penned up.

Every now and then #1 son's chickens will run a mouse out of some pile of rubbish and the chase is on. It doesn't last very long but the all get in on it.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Don't worry John Lee, they are eating the cat crap to get the taste of the dog crap out of their mouths.

Free range chickens are living on worms, bugs, maggots and they will scavenge dead bodies of anything they find. It's their nature, they are not born vegans.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Don't worry John Lee, they are eating the cat crap to get the taste of the dog crap out of their mouths.

Free range chickens are living on worms, bugs, maggots and they will scavenge dead bodies of anything they find. It's their nature, they are not born vegans.
    I know they eat practically anything, not raw potatoes, though. They will eat COOKED potatoes. Cat crap is great. Raw potatoes are yucky. Go figure.

Anyways, back to the subject. I'm not really worried about it, but I figured I'd mention it. Catfish eat fish crap. Shrimp are bottom feeders, too, and they're great. It all gets processed through the system. Heck, plants "eat" the manure that's put into gardens.

I guess all of us are eating $#!† in one way or another..
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Banned

What a beautiful thread! But I still cannot understand what people are discussing here. Anyway looks fine and ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by myrtle.rankind View Post
    What a beautiful thread! But I still cannot understand what people are discussing here. Anyway looks fine and ridiculous
    Sometimes minds wander, so you never know where a thread will go.